Costochondritis

Posted , 12 users are following.

I recently been diagnosed with costochondritis but the pain is mostly on my breast and my shoulder blade in my arms any suggestion

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shella, I was misdiagnosed with costochondritis for two years when in fact I had coeliac disease. Might be worth checking to see whether you react to certain foods within a few hours of eating them especially ones containing gluten. You never know, could be an autoimmune disoder or a food intolerance that's causing your pains. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

Have you been given any medications? How long have you had the pain?

Sorry you have this terrible thing but you'll get lots of help on this forum...

• Posted

Hu dear, Dr told me told me to take Motrin. I've been with the pain since last week.
    • Posted

All Meds prescribed to me do not work. Nothing helps except sleep. Very depressed and doctors seem to think that it should go away. When???? It's been months.
    • Posted

Hi Tamra, I am begging you and everyone on this board to please keep a food diary and to see whether something like gluten could be triggering your pain. Doctors often diagnose chest pain as costochondritis when they don't really know what's causing the pain. I had terrible chest and rib pain but it was always five hours or so after I ate so I didn't connect it with food. Have you suffered any other ailments over the last few years like migraines, mouth ulcers, swollen glands, anything at all? It could all be because of coeliac disease or a food intolerance. Whatever you do in terms of medication, I urge you and everyone here to keep a food diary. 
    • Posted

It seems to me that finding the anti-inflammatory which works best for you is important. I am on my 4th and wish I'd been given this one in the beginning... It's called Diclofanac (Voltaren) Supposed to be gentler on the stomach. I've only been on it for a week so I'll keep you posted.

Due to stomach issues I stopped taken anti-inflammatories but in hindsight they were keeping this CC somewhat manageable. I'm just recovering again from the downward slide... Going on 8 months of this!

Also being women we think it's a boob issue but the pain is originating in the ribs underneath. I have big boobs... Makes the whole this worse. 

• Posted

Well I haven't had those ailments with this. No swollen glands or anything like that. I have pain whether I eat or not. I hurt 24/7 and that's constant. I have tried everything there is. I will try to make a log of my food. I feel there may never be any relief. I hope I don't have to Live with this my whole life. Doctors act like this is no big deal. I know we all know it is.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Tamra. Symptoms vary massively for coeliac disease - I was just using a few examples. Some people will have none of them. I still recommend the food diary and making a big note of any time you eat something with gluten in it. But it can be the smallest thing that can cause a lot of pain. I am sick as a dog with pain rippling through my chest and body if I have even the tiniest bit of rapeseed oil. When I noted everything I ate down on paper, I stopped feeling like you do now - that pain was going to be there for the rest of my life. Good luck. 
    • Posted

p.s. if you key in costochondritis and coeliac disease into a search engine, you will find an amazing amount of cases where people with the latter have been misdiagnosed with the former. But as I say, could be any kind of food intolerance, not necessarily coeliac disease
  • Posted

I wrote in this forum a few months ago ... "Sharing what worked to stop my Tietze pain". Last reply was 2 months ago. Have a read, it could help you. I hope so smile
    • Posted

I bumped the comment back up near the top just now smile
    • Posted

Debbie what helped? I have had shots taken medicine and tried lidocaine patches and heat. Help!!! I'm still in pain.
  • Posted

Well I also have that as well it started in my breasts. I went for a mammogram because I couldn't understand why they hurt so bad. I was and still am taking pain Meds for a different condition and I noticed that NOTHING helped me. I had shots of cortosine in my chest and at first it helped. The pain has been constant since October 2014. I have used Lidocaine patches and voletrol gel. I have no relief.
    • Posted

I've done all of the things you have... Just got put on a new anti-inflammatory called Diclofenac (Voltaren) if you haven't tried this... Seems to be kicking in a little. Look up Myofascial Release too. Just had it yesterday very gentle and may help tremendously... None of this is cheap. As someone mentioned on this forum you have to throw some money at this beast if you can.
    • Posted

I am using voltaran in a topical and I don't see much relief. I appreciate your help. I just feel like it's hopeless. My pain is just so severe. I hope it stops one day soon.
    • Posted

Yes the shots I was getting was very expensive. I agree you do have to throw down some money. I will look into what you said and I hope it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.