Daily High Fives and Daily Struggles

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi - vickylou and I wanted to start a thread where we all can continue to keep in touch daily if possible.  Our rants and struggles and successes are helping others..

So today for me...people are coming over...I HATE that...none of them drink...but I always feel like I NEED to drink to socialize and it is always a very painful experience - high anxiety ridden the whole time people are around when I am not drinking.

But, I will do this...and get thru this....Its very sad how the small things...are so HARD for me to get thru....

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hiya all

feeling very happy today. Misssy you will be pleased to hear both bottles of wine went done the sink at 4am this morning. Problem solved, can't say I wasn't tempted. It was almost like having the devil on one shoulder saying 1 glass won't hurt, and another voice pour the f****** wine down the sink .

• Posted

That is GREAT.....very impressed....Its not like we can't go buy more...but the fact it was sitting right there...is VERY tempting...especially if the sh*t hits the fan.....We have to learn how to deal with our daily issues without alcohol....and it is HUGE....that you dumped that sh*t out.
    • Posted

Well done,Vickylou!!!  I've been following your messages and am very proud of you!!
    • Posted

Been to the hairdressers and had a revamp. I'm now short and blonde with a load of new clothes as my reward.

went for my first session of CBT today, can't believe how anxious I was about it. The therapist agreed that I am not alcohol dependant, but using alcohol as a prop.

i had my initial assessment two weeks ago straight after two days of drinking. She said if she hadn't done the initial assessment herself , based on how I was today she would have questioned the scores on the questionnaire done on my first assessment.

i am now eating properly and cooked a huge roast dinner tonight. My Other half couldn't remember the last proper meal I cooked. He's more used to coming home to a bombshell of a kitchen with burnt offerings!!

She was really pleased with the difference in me and asked me what did I think had bought about these changes. I'd already sussed that out myself, 19 days without any alcohol at al. No hidden bottles making me feel so guilty. I don't feel anxious at all at the moment. My son popped in with my new grandson and said "mum have you hired a cleaner, not see the house like this for years.

he said it's almost like having a new mum. You've not worn make-up for months, I've not seen you cook anything apart from bunging ready meals in the micro or oven. Three weeks ago when he called round I was fast asleep with a bottle of vodka under my pillow.

I am not that naive to think everything is back to normal. I will have other episodes of high anxiety. I've got to learn how to cope when I feel my anxiety is getting worse, rather than grab for a bottle and hide under the duvet.

ive saved the best news till last. Had a GP apt and I was dreading it . The results of my latest LFT had come back and were normal as was the results of my liver scan, no sign of fatty liver or scarring.

• Posted

This is very exciting for you....and for those that are struggling to show us...there is some happiness...after the long struggle of STOPPING.

New hairdoo, cleaning...cooking!  LOL.  I love the 1st 2.....the cooking...ugh..I always turn to microwave and fast food.  Your family is so proud of you....and you should be proud too...

I pray that alcohol does not take the real "vicky" away again.  Great news on the LFT! 

The part that made me "well" up was your son....being surprised with the changes...not only are you beautiful on the inside...but now it can shine thru on the outside.  Congratulations on your changes! 

• Posted

That's fantastic Vickylou. You are an inspiration. Really happy to hear this and so pleased for you xxx
    • Posted

Hello paper fairy

how are you doing today? Dont know that I'm an inspiration, but thanks and I do feel so much better. Are you still tapering.. Hope you've managed to go to sleep. I was totally awake fri and sat, but managed a whole two hours last night. Sitting in bed with iPad now, looks like another long night. Hope you're on line and feel like chatting xx

• Posted

u r doing very very well and should proud of yourself!! Great family support also helps your self esteem and determination!! You can do it!
    • Posted

Thanks Robin

my family are supportive and keep telling me how well I'm doing.

Weve taken the plunge and booked a holiday with my son, his wife, her son from a previous relationship, new baby and oh and I. We've booked a big villa with pool in Spain in April.

This is a huge step in regaining some trust and no matter how anxious or low I feel, this is another incentive not to drink

Next trigger factor is Christmas which I hate. My plan is to be as organised as possible and to plan well ahead. I've asked all the family to do wish lists and I've already ordered and received quite a few.

The support and encouragement I've received from this formum (especially from yourself ) has been fantastic

​Many thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments and advice I've had.

• Posted

Hi vickylou,

Like you, I and many others are probably all dreading the Christmas period and all the festivities that include alcohol.  I've decided to focus on others, and do some volunteering over the holidays.  This will get my mind off the booze, give me a project and a goodwill feeling.  I'm already excited about helping out locally with old and young people in need. Just a suggestion that may be interesting to you.

• Posted

thanks indeed. Ref Christmas: I ma buy8ing frozen crown of goose in LIDL 1kg £8 and we are 4 adults and two small children. Looks good to me. Sorry, but not relevant to this forum but will be buying GOOD red wine for the others; not me
    • Posted

You've just reminded me of Boxing Day meals at my grandparents house. They always used to cook goose for a family get together. I've tried to get my family to try either duck, pheasant or goose and they were all horrified.

We always have fore rib of beef as my husband doesn't like turkey.

• Posted

Hi paper fairy

how are you doing. Have you got your lorazepam yet?

• Posted

Hi, no not got lorazepam yet. Busy day today, Drs and visiting friends. I'm still on a can of fosters , occasionally 2 . The only way I'm going to stop that is going to an aa meeting or the gym. Not had the courage to do that yet. Still not sleeping very well xx
    • Posted

Morning paper Fairy and all.

At long last I've had a good nights sleep, although I feel really dopey and lethargic now.

ive arranged to go shopping with a friend this morning so can't go back to bed, which is good. I've not been shopping with this friend for the last two months. We always used to go at least once a week, so feeling quite positive.

• Posted

That's great. Hope you have a lovely day. I'm going to big supermarket today, first time in 2 1/2 months! Been using our little shop down the road up until now. Normal people will think we're really sad but for us it's a big step foreward..
    • Posted

Hi

I said the same thing to my daughter last week. She said I sounded happy and I said I've been in town not bought any booze. She said well done and I know you haven't bought wine. I said how do you know that and she cos I can tell by your voice! I said that sounds really sad. She said no it's good stop being negative. Ok you've been to town but for you now, it's a plus. Stop putting yourself down.

Big supermarket shop is great too. We have to keep telling ourselves could we have done that when drinking? Err No xx

• Posted

My kids and family SAY the same thing about the voice on the phone and how they can TELL when I am doing well.

Its odd...how alcohol brings EVERYTHING down...including our own voices...even when we try to HIDE it...they can tell....I always hated that...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.