Day One

Posted , 16 users are following.

After many tries at stopping, today I decided enough is enough.  I've felt very alone dealing with this issue, but obviously trying to stop on my own hasn't worked.  I also don't want to go to my doctor because I don't want it on my health record.  I'm hoping talking about it with other people will help this time stick.  So, here's my story.  This is my first time being totally honest and telling it. I'm a 42 year old woman. I've worked up to drinking about 4-5 shots of vodka almost every day. My liver hurts, my face is getting an overall red tone and I've almost really messed up my marriage by picking nasty fights with my husband while drunk and flirting with a friend of his once also while drunk which thank God the friend never told my husband.  I drink when making dinner or when doing art (I"m an artist).  The buzz puts me in a good mood to face the doldrums of housework and gets my creativity flowing, so I'm going to have to figure out how to not do that.  The reason today is hopefully the day is that last night I woke up to find my husband not in the bed.  I thought he was up playing video games.  But in the morning he came back into the bedroom with his pillow and blanket.  I'd forgotten that I got so drunk the previous night that I'd picked a fight with him so bad that he went and slept on the couch.  On so many levels, that about sums up the things that terrify me about what alcohol does.  So, today I'm doing two things I've never done - talking to others about my problem and making a contract with myself.  Here's what my contract says:  

" I, __________, have decided to stop drinking alcohol as of today, July 1, 2015.  I have chosen this goal because, today, I am afraid of alcohol. I am afraid of the damage it has already caused to my body, marriage, friendships and life, of my inability to stop, and of the potential it has to make things much worse. 

If I don’t stop drinking, I WILL lose the things that I treasure most - the love, admiration and friendship of my husband, the roof over my head and the food that he provides, my memory and ability to think clearly, the healthy functioning of my body, my physical beauty, and the ability and motivation to live life to the fullest.

If I stop drinking, I will be vibrantly strong, beautiful and active! I will be proud of myself and able to fulfill my life’s purpose.  Not one more drink.

My husband wants me to be able to drink like a normal person like he does (a few on the weekends) but he doesn't understand that what I really need is to not be around alcohol.  He loves me (well, not so much after last night) but isn't supportive in that way, so that's something else I have to deal with. He thinks I should be able to just decide not to drink and refuses to not have his bottle of Scotch in the kitchen when I've asked repeatedly not to have any alcohol in the house.  In order not to drink his Scotch and to hide how much I drink, I've been keeping a bottle of vodka in my art studio.  Both sides of my family are full of alcoholics.  My mother has turned into the family pariah and my dad hates her because of her drinking.  I don't want to turn into her or their dead marriage!

I think I'll stop here.  Such a long post already!  But it feels good to get it out, even if no one reads it all or responds.  I might post here every day smile

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I didn't say you had mental health problems. What I don't understand is that you say you want to stop drinking, but won't go to extremes to stop. Are you saying that promotions and a good career are more important than your health?

you say "if I don't stop drinking then I'll loose the things I treasure" and will be vibrantly strong, beautiful and active, but won't seek help as you don't need it, or rather no-one can know.

you are so glad you didn't go to your doctor. Well in the real world some of us have to confide in drs to get help, which as you say you don't need.

I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever that might be

• Posted

Wrong as it is, there are certain careers in which the medical records of an employee, potential employee and even their family can be scrutinised and some issues that arise can affect a career move.

I get many clients who simply can't go to an NHS doctor for this reason and they contact me for help because they can keep it off their medical records at their GP's practice.

• Posted

Hi Paul thanks for the explanation about medical records. I agree that the system is wrong. If I've understood correctly, then if you can afford it, or rather it comes with the job, you can get private medical treatment and it doesn't appear on your medical records, in other words it's hushed up and it doesn't affect your career. However for the majority of people who don't get that luxury, then nothing is confidential.  What happens then if you are taking drugs prescribed privately and end up having a serious accident, rushed for emergency treatment and there is no record of what you've been taking? I'm not  knocking private treatment at all, just curious.
    • Posted

That is what we have to explain to them VickyLou. Confidentiality is limited to straightforward situations. There have been occasions where we have had to tell people to go straight to A & E and we have communicated with the clinical staff there about the treatment they are having (mainly because it is important that, if they are in the middle of a detox, the medication isn't stopped abruptly.)

People have to accept that there are occasions where safety comes before their need to keep everything off-record. We also keep medical notes so they DO exist, but employers don't come to us to ask questions if they don't know those records exist.

Having said all that, the NHS record system is such that anybody could end up in A & E and the staff there would be unlikely to find out what medication they are on unless the patient, or one of their family, could tell them. It is therefore no better if they are on medication prescribed by the NHS.

• Posted

Sorry for dragging this up again. I recently had to go to A&E with a friend who collapsed while shopping.. I was trying to think what medication she was on. The nurse said "don't worry as we have all her notes on the computer, so I can get her medication from her notes,"which she then did. Whether this system is nationwide or just a local system I don't know. Anyway they got her medication in seconds!
    • Posted

Yes VickyLou, there are some areas where they appear to have better links between their hospital records system and the one at the GP practices. Had you been at an A & E 100 miles away from her GP's, I suspect it would have been different.
    • Posted

Thanks Paul for the explanation. It was The royal derby and I just assumed the system was the same throughout.
    • Posted

The government spent billions on an NHS wide information system and then decided to just forget it when it didn't work as expected.
    • Posted

No surprise there! I've been following the Royal Derby hospital documentary on tv Thursday nights. Whilst I've never had any problems and even praised the treatment and care I've received, a lot of people have said the Royal on tv is nothing like their first hand experience.
  • Posted

Day 2 - still going well other than my skin itching and burning and still can't for the life of me find the pan I was cooking in the night I got drunk and picked a fight with hubby.  I wonder wth I did with it?  Took "before" pics of my red face, looking forward to that calming down, keep reading my contract to myself, can do so without tearing up now, changed plans tonight to meet a new friend from happy hour to sushi. smile  feeling hopeful but still stressed about hubby's disgust and hostility.  Can't wait til that gets better, too, but I know that'll only totally go away when he sees longterm things have actually changed.
  • Posted

you are on the right path. Keep going since you have already hit rock bottom and you can only go UP!
  • Posted

Hello ArtGirl

How are you getting on ?

• Posted

I'm good! Day 10, starting to feel my brain clear, the whites of my eyes return to normal and a sense of self-respect coming back.  Sometimes I get so angry at being sober and bored out of my mind but I just hold the space for those feelings and let them rage and re-read my contract.  Tonight will be a big test - hubby wants me to come with him for a going away party for work (which is an improvement because before he was so angry and embarrassed by drunk me that he wouldn't have asked me to go).  They're going out to a dance club, and before that he wants to take me to a romantic, fancy jazz bar we used to go to, which is his attempt to reconnect. smile  My plan is to eat instead of drink at the jazz bar and to have seltzer at the dance club and be the DD.
    • Posted

Boy-oh-boy, I wish you well. This is not a good situation to be in. Hubby really needs to understand your predicanement with the drink. Yes, he is trying but the approach is all wrong, sorry. I would suggest a full tummy so the booze goes down slower. Hope this helps ArtGrl.

Best wishes, Tim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.