Depersonalisation/ Derealisation again.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I feel terrible today...am so spaced out...like am in some kind of dream. This along with all the obsessive thoughts I have(OCD) are making me feel like I am going crazy. Am so scared that I am go mad,become pyschotic or that I have Schizophenia or some terrible mental illness....Just wanted some reassurance that the dream like feeling is only Anxiety...feels so scary.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi clairebear

It is so sad that DP/DR are symptoms of anxiety....as if there isn't enough to cope with.  But you must believe that these symptoms are truly caused by the nervous system being overloaded.  Feeling as if in a dreamlike state, things seeming unreal, are in my opinion (having been there several times) the brain trying to take a rest from reality because of the strees it has been under. Does that seem logical to you.  Sometimes medication takes quite a while to kick in, and remember that your body/and mind is still under stress from anxiety.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel....keep faith, try to rest/relax....your body/mind needs to recuperate.

Good Luck.  Keep Posting..if that helps.

• Posted

Thanks CruisLady..i suppose most of the time I do know it is just Anxiety...it just so hard to get my head round sometimes because for me the Depersonalisation is what sets off the Anxiety even if I am not aware of feeling Anxious...it makes you feel like you are losing the plot but have been feeling that for weeks and am still here lol
    • Posted

Just let it happen and keep doing your daily stuff, infact keep yourself focused on a task/activity , whether you like it or not. Everything is in a state of slosh right now and give it time to settle down. Keep taking your medicines and do some physical activity/ yoga/ breathing techniques so you can recover quickly. I have had DP with severe anxiety just few months back and now I am feeling normal. So be assured and give your system some space to settle down.
    • Posted

I hope I cab recover soon its awful ! Feel so disconnected like I'm a ghost nearly x
    • Posted

So is it normal with anxiety to feel disconnected dream like. Your your not really there ? Its awful really awful. I hope my sertraline works soon (5weeks) x
    • Posted

It is very much normal. When it was all working fine we never questioned the reality, only when in these states our minds tend to think like that. Even now we dont completely distrust the reality, otherwise we would not be talking here. Anyway, once it is normal you will get back sense of reality. Medicines will take sometime to act, but you should also give the system the required rest. Just dont think in terms of how long will it take etc, its too much calculation for no reason. I came back from that seemingly hopeless situation and hence I am writing to people here, otherwise I generally keep to myself. 
    • Posted

My meds have been 5weeks. I know on flu it took 12weeks. I now don't feel so scared of it and try to go around as normal but its awful and I don't even have any anxieties it just happen to me after my baby x
  • Posted

It's refreshing to see somebody in the same boat as me. I am right there with you with every emotion here. I have had bouts of depersonalisation/derealisation as well and I am just absolutely terrified it is something worse than anxiety.. although I do know that is the case. Sometimes I dont notice it at all.. sometimes for months nothing happens. But then it's those months of feeling fine catch up to me in one giant attack. Just the other day at work, all of a sudden a huge wave of dream like/disconnected feeling hit me so hard that it caused a panic attack because I suddently felt so out of it and it caused my heart to start pounding and for me to just shake crazily. I hadn't felt anything even close to that in so long that it really messed with me. For the past week or so, I have been feeling quite a bit spaced out and cannot concentrate for the life of me. I wish I had advice to offer but I was just looking for someone who could relate so I hope it's helpful for you to know you're not at all alone and it most definitely is anxiety. I once asked a friend, "Aren't you ever terrified you'll just go crazy one day?" she replied, "not at all." I said, "wow, that's one of my biggest fears. How can you not be afraid of losing control of your mind?" she said "well, if it ever happens, I'll be too crazy to care." smile Good point! You know you're not crazy if you're aware and concerned about it! But that doesn't help shake these feelings. I certainly hope time does it for us. 
    • Posted

Hi tessa. Love what your friend said about if I was crazy I wouldn't care, as much as the thought of going crazy scares the hell out of me, that is an excellent point, you wouldn't care would you. You would think nothing of it. So thank you for sharing that, that has helped me face the fear, even if only a little smile xx
    • Posted

Not sure if your still on here if so I would like to chat. I have been dealing with this for a little over a year. I am so over it!
  • Posted

Hi Claire. I haven't had major dp/dr but I do feel EXACTLY the same as you do. I constantly think I'm gonna develop or am developing schizophrenia like my mum, it is the worst feeling. I think no, this can't just be anxiety, it's something else, I know it is. I'm in the midst of going crazy!!! And no matter what I do I can't shake the feeling, I watch and take note of everything I do, and I think is that normal? I constantly try to act normal even though I am, it's so horrible. I do believe this is just anxiety though, I don't think we are going mad, like a lot of people say, if we were we wouldn't know it. I get the reassurance on here then if I haven't read it for a while I think it again, I'm going crazy etc etc. a horrible cycle to be in, but I'm in the exact same position as you, it's comforting to know others are feeling the same from my perspective, still not a nice thing to go through though. Stay strong smile xx
    • Posted

Becky, do the doctors know your mom has schizophrenia and still say your symptoms are anxiety? That's very comforting!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Jen. Yes I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago as my fear of going crazy was through the roof. He said that the odds of me getting it aren't very high. He also said that he has had many schizophrenia patients durning his time as a doctor and not one of his patients has had a child who has gone on to develop the illness. He also said that me thinking that I'm going to get it is like saying because I live near a train track I'm going to get hit by a train! Lol. Pretty much saying that it could happen, but it could happen to anyone. I think what he is trying to say is is that the illness can not solely be based on genetics, it's not likely at all really. I still have the fear though tbh. And he said that he thinks I have an anxiety disorder but not that. He explained the difference between psychosis and neurosis, I think if you suffer with neurosis it cannot develop into psychosis. Us who suffer from anxiety disorders are too worried and frightened, too in touch with reality to lose touch. He also said that if I can to him saying I was god or Osama bin laden, he would be worried. But as I'm not there is nothing for me to worry about lol. Hope this helps smile xx
    • Posted

I was saying on one of your posts Becki that thats why am so scared because my mum has Schizoaffective Disorder also and am so scared that is what I have got. The thing is I dont help myself I google things related to Schizophenia and then think I have symptoms. My mum isnt aware when she is psychotic she thinks that the rest of us are crazy so I suppose the fact we question it means we aint like that!
    • Posted

I know, I remember you saying that. I am exactly the same, google everything. I worry that if something traumatic happens in my life I'm am going to end up the same as my mum, so whenever something stresses me out I get so anxious coz I don't want to get stressed in case it brings it on!! But I have read in so many places that anxiety cannot develop into schizophrenia, so that relaxes me a bit. But then I think but what if this isn't anxiety, what if this Is the beginning symptoms!! It's so horrible to feel that way. But again, the fact we're questioning it proves we haven't got it and probably arent likely to get it. The fear of going crazy is so big in people that have anxiety, I think ours is just heightened because our mums have it. We need to try and keep positive, and like was said on here early. If we so go crazy, will we know? Will we care? I don't think we will lol. Still scary tho, but as hard as it might be with anxiety sufferers, we just need to try and go with the flow and take things as they come. We can't predict the future so we shouldn't worry about it. Easier said than done I know, but we can at least try 😊 xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.