Depression and Severe Anxiety

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone. My depression and anxiety has been off the chain lately, in spite of being on Effexor and Klonopin. I'm so scared of everything. Is anyone else going through this? Please I need some advice.

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh and my advise to you would be just to keep busy find whatever anything to do, the more I sit around and do nothing the worse the anxiety gets for me! It's almost as if I need to burn off the adrenaline/cortisol in my bloodstream if that makes sense...

• Posted

Hi Kathryn, yes I totally understand and relate. It's scary but try to tell yourself it's just anxiety doing its thing and the hormone fluctuation is increasing everything. I didn't leave the house for 3 weeks until yesterday so I do understand. Try you tube calming meditations, deep breathing saying " I am safe" because in truth you are. It's a powerful thing anxiety and it will pass. Do you have any friends or family for support?

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry you are having bad anxiety issues. I have all the physical symptoms of anxiety or what I think is anxiety (shaking, flu feeling, achy) but don't feel anxious. This week I flew to New Orleans and I couldn't stop shaking on the plane. So I broke down and took a klonopin. It helped with the shakes but later on at dinner the waiter gave us champagne for our anniversary. I'm not sure how much I drank because my glass was filled when I wasn't looking a few times. Well, if you've ever seen Melanie Griffith in Working Woman I was almost that bad. I don't even know how I got to the hotel from The restaurant! Lesson learned about benzo meds and alcohol!

Wish I knew if my physical symptoms are from anxiety, it might help me be less anxious! Ugh

If it is anxiety I've been suffering every day since last August. Not sure how much longer I can do this.

• Posted

Yeah I made the mistake of drinking on my Klonopin...big mistake.
  • Posted

Hey Kathryn. I feel the same as you. Some days it feel like my anxiety is going to take over my life. As if I can leave my husband and children and crawl into a dark hole until I feel better. Since I started with peri 4 years ago, I've been struggling with intrusive thoughts, like I don't love my husband any more. And that sends my anxiety levels through the roof because I know I love him very much and I can't understand why I get this thoughts. 

I think all we can do is pray and believe that some day everything will be normal again.

• Posted

Oh Nonnie, I so hear you on the intrusive thoughts tht make you feel like running away!  I had those so bad for a while, and they are scary!  They do pass...I only get them around my period now, thank goodness.
    • Posted

Ditto to this.  It is scary......upped my paxil to 40 mg, which has helped.  But not completly.  I downloaded an online meditation app, which is useful.  I also purchased this workbook online, which is giving me coping mechanisms.  "The Mindfulness and Acceptance Book for Anxeity", John Forsyth.  Highly recommend.

• Posted

Can I ask you about your losing feeling's for your husband during this time...I have been on and off with my live in bf for different reasons, but now feel completely out of like, love etc.. not my only worries... I definitely think it's menopausal...crying, depressed, uninterested in things that I normally enjoyed. And being unemployed is definitely not helping the whole situation.. Feeling lost unloved and unloving except if course my dog.

• Posted

Just read your post about feelings for your boyfriend and i'v been exactly the same through Peri menopause. Its almost like an on/off switch for me. We met as my symptoms started so been together about 18months and we've had some heavy stuff to sort through but even taking all that into account my feelings definitely change according to my hormones. I can love him to death one day then its not hate but I feel completely numb to him the next day. I'v had very bad mood problems with Peri and been on BHRT for a few months now which has helped heaps but I still have little problems and one of them is my feelings for my boyfriend not being consistant but it is getting much better. So its not just you and if you are having mood problems it seems to be part of the deal.

Hope this helps a bit..

• Posted

Hi. I try to feel with my heart and not with my head, because When I lies next to him or touch him I know we belong together. The thoughts is worse between the last day of my perion untill I ovulat. I know when I keep myself busy everyting seems to calm down.

• Posted

Hi Nonnie, was wondering if things have gotten any better for you? I am going through the same thing.
  • Posted

Yes same here... i think the olny way to adress it is to take hormones of some kind as the anti depressants dont always work. For me its the anxiety... scared of anything not able to cope with simple things and stress. Easily go into panic.. like you worse around ovulation and periods etc. Im just waiting for for my projesterone cream to arrrive and im going to give that a go.. and if that does not work  im going to try HRT. sick of feeling like a crazy person rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi there. I am taking HRT and it seems to be only thing that helps somewhat. Also on antidepressant low dosage. So tired of not being my good old self. I know it's just a phase and we all will get through this. I suppose time is the answer. Feel better !!!

• Posted

How long ha it been since you havent been your good self , it's been 2 to 3 full months  for me so far!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.