Depression Resources

Posted , 149 users are following.

Below are listed recommended resources for users who wish to read more about depression, get self help, treatments etc. Users can also post the link to this discussion in any replies to guide users to this info. The post will not go for moderation as it is an internal link. The link to post is https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

Samaritans website

http://www.samaritans.org/

Depression health centre

https://patient.info/depression

A central hub with links to depression articles, videos, blogs support groups etc.

Coming off antidepressants leaflet

https://patient.info/health/depression-leaflet/antidepressants

Reducing ADs using 10% withdrawal method

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/?&gopid=16335#entry16335

Suicidal thoughts leaflet

https://patient.info/health/depression-leaflet/suicidal-thoughts

A leaflet with advice for people having suicidal thoughts and also for relatives/friends. It includes several contact details for relevant groups such as The Samaritans and others.

58 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was just about to post a thread to know where to find depression resources. I guess I'm at right place.

Nice resources

• Posted

I have been on citalopram for 8 years then put on sertaline for 2. I was advised by my doctor to half my 100 mg dose 2 months ago. I'm still on the 50mg and have been suffering on and off from extreme anxiety, panic attacks, mild anxiety, dizziness, electric shocks, bouts of crying, heart palpitations. These symptoms change every few days and I can can have a few good days. I'm currently signed off work. I worried about going back up as been on this does for 2 months. Just want to know how long it will last. And then I can start the 10% tapering. Doctors don't understand or help. I am extremely lucky to have such a supportive husband and family.

Thank you for reading x

...................................................................................

This is the reply I got from the lovely betsy

★5

betsy0603 emily81526 about 14 hours ago

Hi Emily,

I'm sorry you are suffering so much from that 50% cut your doctor had you do! I wish they would get educated on these matters but they are in denial! Ok, so your nervous system is in chaos from such a big cut and I really can't tell you how long this will go on for. The way tapering should be done is as you now know to make small cuts that the nervous system hardly registeres, and then letting the system get used to that new level before making another cut. The recommendation is 10% of the previous dose every four weeks, sometimes even 6 weeks. It is very individual with some people finding they can cut a little more often, such as 3 weeks, while other may only be able to handle 5% cuts. It's a harm-reduction plan with the aim being to keep you functional and comfortable as you come off.

You are still in the time frame where an updose would alleviate your suffering, but you wouldn't want to go all the way back up to 100 mg because your system has done some healing.

My recommendation is to go to the forum where the 10% thread came from and sign on there, because the mods know far more than me about how much of an updose to do. What I can say is that this 50% cut could cause reverberations for months to come since you were on this med for a long time and your system is very unhappy right now and being slow to adapt back. The brain and nervous system actually change physiologically in the presence of that 100 mg for all that time, integrating the drug's action into the operation. Now it is freaking out trying to figure out what to do now that half the drug is gone!

Most folks resist the idea of reinstating part of the dose because they don't want to go backwards, but this is probably your best bet, followed by stabilization and then resuming a very slow taper. So, see the 10% topic in this thread and sign on over there; they'll help you if you havne't made your way there, yet.

• Posted

I think depression can be triggered by something specific, such as the loss of a loved one or a relationship breakup, but sometimes there is no identifiable cause. Above links are very usefull to control depression.
  • Posted

maybe adding a helplne for depression would be a good idea? I think many people need someone to talk to, personally, and verbally, which I think could help a lot if you provide a depression helpline where this can be done.
  • Posted

In order to be formally diagnosed with depression at least one of a possible two core symptoms must be seen. The first of these is a persistent low mood and feelings of sadness, with or without weepiness. The second is motivational, specifically a marked lack of interest in previously pleasurable activities. Clustered around these two core symptoms are a further seven related symptoms relating to:

Sleep pattern disturbances.

Change in appetite.

Tiredness.

Sluggish movements or agitation.

Difficulty in concentrating or solving simple everyday problems.

Feelings of guilt and/or worthless.

• Posted

I am on mirtazapine withndiazepam for daytime use, i trynro get out each day but i wake often dreaming of not wanting to be here.  All is happy with my family and I see cbt but cannot rid mymmind ofmthese dreams/}thoughts when imam waking some days.   Many anri depa,tries.  All others failed.  Can you direct me ro rhose aimilar who can help, i am not siure how to,do,that here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.