Diagnosed with pmr at 48

Posted , 8 users are following.

i got diagnosed about 2 months ago and put on 20mg prednisolone which did help ease the pain. Two weeks ago I was dropped down to 15mg even thought I am still in pain and feel so ill and extremely tired all the time. I also have neck problems and bulging disc in my lower back. The constant aching and tiredness has affected my life so much. I'm trying to do day to day things and really struggling. I've always been active ( horse owner )but even getting washed and dressed leaves me exhausted . I'm off work as just can't physically do it and was wondering how other people cope and manage their life with pmr

thanks 

dawn

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, i can only write from a personal point of view, having had this seven months plus GCA, and it seems t
    • Posted

Me again dawn, it seems as if the drop in dose may be a bit soon and if you speak to your rheumi or Dr, and go up to 20 again.. I find i get up that bit earlier and plan my day, giving me time to rest as I m still working at 72, its been really hard at times and I 've had to rest and to learn to ask for help for things I find so difficult.....you have to learn to be kind to yourself and to learn as much as you can about all this... take care x

• Posted

Dawn, you will soon learn that decreasing prednisone by 5 mg so quickly will lead to an exacerbation of your symptoms.  Most of the discussions here suggest that doctors who follow "recommended" reductions are out of touch with patients' feedback.  You should not decrease at all until you are stable at 20 mg and then follow what is called the "dead slow nearly stop" schedule.

• Posted

I'm afraid the illness/fatigue/tiredness are par for the course - but was this your GP who started you off like this? Was it the GP who made the diagnosis? Or have you seen a rheumatologist?

Did you have a noticeable improvement in symptoms at 20mg? There should have been something like a 70% improvement in symptoms overall within a week or two - if you didn't then there has to be a query either about the diagnosis (there are several things that cause similar symptoms) or whether the dose is enough (up to 25mg is recommended nowadays).

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

This is a link to our "reading list" to help you understand what is going on. At the end are a couple of links about pacing - the fatigue of autoimmune disease has to be managed by you, the drugs don't help that (whatever some doctors may try to tell you), and you have to learn to pace yourself. The pred just combats the inflammation which causes swelling and pain and stiffness - the actual disease carries on in the background attacking our body tissues and making you feel as if you have flu. Resting before you get tired helps a lot - if you can rest in the afternoon then you can start fresher into the later part of the day.

But it would be helpful to know more about your story so far - then maybe we can make some suggestions to help you.

• Posted

Thank you for reply

i have had back, neck problems on and off for a few years. 

In March last year my back " locked " and then had Mir that showed a lot of degeneration with a disc protrusion and a annular fissure. Had neck X-ray March 2014 and September 2015 which that one showed degeneration had increased in severity also said worsened arthritis.

My back kept playing me up from March which then led to my neck also aching. In October 2016 I noticed my right arm aching and feeling weak. By end November I had tingling and pins and needles with slight swelling. Doctor said it was a trapped nerve in my neck .  The Aching was because I was thence they said . I was back and forth to the doctors as aching was going all through my body , I was extremely tired, felt so ill and I was struggling to move my arms. In March I couldn't stick it anymore and the painkillers were not doing anything so I had blood tests which showed high inflammatory levels. That's when the diagnosed pmr. I was then started on pred and pain did improve but not go. Since dropping down to 15mg I've noticed aching more but not like it was before pred. My neck aching which is causing headaches seems worse and generally feel ill . I want to do things but can't and have never felt anything like this before . I just want my life back

• Posted

I was told by an orthopaedic docotr that the back problems I have which I describe as "add-ons" were wear and tear and I'd have to live with them. So I did for another year or so. Then my entire back seized up and I developed horrendous sacroiliacitis. I crawled to the local emergency room - who diagnosed it and admitted me for infusions as the quick fix. Unfortunately I had a bad drug reaction so I was handed over to the pain clinic for the slow approach. 

They assessed me - and said myofascial pain syndrome. All the muscles in my back were as hard as floorboards, just touching them was painful. I had steroid injections into the trigger points, manual myofascial release therapy and wet needling. It took a few months but it worked. Previously I had had back problems years ago, was prescribed massage and manual myofascial release techniques were used then. The GP also used the needling technique.

If you can find therapists who can offer you those they may help a lot. Not much chance on the NHS I fear though.

However - the fact you say you feel generally ill and have headaches does make me wonder whether your PMR is a symptom of GCA. Do you have any other symptoms? Scalp pain, jaw pain when eating, tenderness on your temples? 

• Posted

No nhs moving so slow on appointments. Did see the doctor 2 weeks ago about a bad headache and she said it was a migraine as blood pressure was fine . Headache more like normal headaches now if that makes sense but do have pain in my face , slightly above jaw and side of ear ( like earache type ) . Does the aching go with pmr or have you always got a certain level
    • Posted

Get yourself to A&e and get this checked out.. you could be starting with GCA. I was messed about by a hospital who , on the phone, after my Dr faxed them, said I had an appointment in three weeks..I lost so much sight the next day and a different hospital where I was rushed to were fantastic... so please get yourself checked out..

• Posted

Which aching? The muscles should improve eventually but everyone is different so it is difficult to say.

But I do agree with Mary. I am concerned you are showing the beginnings of GCA. If you have ANY visual symptoms do please either get someone to take you to A&E or call 999 if you are on your own. 

Typically, the jaw pain in GCA starts when you are chewing, especially something hard/chewy, and then goes away when you stop. Although a lot of doctors don't know about it, earache and tinnitus are also symptoms of GCA.  Most people describe the headache of GCA as like nothing they have ever had - but that isn't always so and everything starts small. 

Have you had a history of migraines?

• Posted

Massive sympathy. I'm 51 and four months in. I have two dressage horses I can only now hack, and am really struggling with the fatigue. 

I found 20mg to 15mg relatively easy but am trying to reduce to 12.5mg and seem to be yoyoing around whenever stressed or 'over worked' by kidults and grandchildren.

im hugely lucky in have a home based business. 

I sound like a spoilt western woman, but it's so depressing doing less than half what I did this time last year.

My horse vet (!) reckons this will burn itself out by September. I normally believe what she says so here's hoping 😉

• Posted

PS - love the kidults term!
    • Posted

You never know, EileenH, the vet just might be right? 😀

• Posted

I tried to go down to ten from twelve and a half, and had a flare up, went back up to fifteen that next day then back to twelve where I 've stayed for three weeks... feeling back to where I was before flare up, so have phoned rheumi nurse, who is fantastic, and asked if I can do one mg drop from now on, slowly, at a pace I feel comfortable with...she's just rung me to say that's fine.. I feel better about this as that drop to ten was dreadful... maybe that's what you could chat to your dr or rheumi about.. what works for one can be dreadful for another... take care x

• Posted

Thank you . At least you have given me hope that I will ride again even just hacking I will be grateful for . I would never of coped through winter without good friends doing him for me . I find it so frustrating that I feel so ill , achy and tired all the time . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.