Did you experience a lot of symptoms/complications after having your gallbladder removed?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I’m conflicted on what to do. Since I have been eating a low fat diet, I have not experienced any dreadful gallbladder attacks. My only trigger foods seemed to be greasy, fried, & fatty things. However, I have been thinking about having it removed to avoid more issues later on. After reading some of the discussions on here & a couple other sites, I am not so sure I want to. I have seen others saying that they do not feel better post OP & still have a lot of discomfort & digestive issues. That worries me greatly, & it is making it harder to come to a decision. I just want to feel normal again, but now I am afraid I never will. I thought removal would be the answer, but now I am not so sure. Any input is welcomed. 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had mine taken out several years back. Now my gallbladder issues had been going on for near 20 years. To be fair I had no idea I even had a gallbladder issue, was told it was acid reflux.

I had a attack that lasted pretty much a month, because all my past doctors told me acid reflux and just told me to take a otc. Finally I could take no more and went to the er. That is where I discovered it was my gallbladder and not only was it infected with the biggest stones they had seen but I had pancreatitis.

I wouldn't wait. Only lingering thing for me is if I don't watch what I eat I have digestive issues but let me tell you, I'd take that over the pain any day of the week. I'm sleeping better my stress it lower cause honestly I was at the point I had no idea when a attack would hit. Now I can eat what I want, no restrictions. Wish I had done it years ago.

• Posted

Thank you for commenting, Lena. I’m glad you are feeling better. That brings me hope. I can somewhat relate to your situation because I too have always been told it was acid reflux. As a matter of fact, I went to see my stomach doctor in February & explained how I would occasionally get abdominal pain underneath my right breastbone, but she dismissed me. She said I would be throwing up constantly, wrote me a prescription for Nexium, & sent me on my way. I actually just found out in June that I have gallstones because I went to the ER after having another attack. So, all in all, I have been dealing with my gallbladder for almost 5 years thinking it was “acid reflux”. I also get a lot of anxiety after I eat because I am afraid I will be up all night suffering. 

• Posted

Yep. That anxiety you speak of was my closest friend. Every time I ate something I'd worry about it that night. I changed my eating completely and the position I would sleep in. I slept sitting up for years thinking it would help. Ultimately I felt like a failure cause nothing worked.

Now it could be age related or that I waited so long to go to the ER but my recovery was slow. In the hospital for several days and then going home and monitoring my food intake for several weeks. Love fat diet is your friend. A couple of months later I had a friend fish sandwich which I would never had touched due to my acid reflux and I literally cried because even though I dont even like fried fish I could eat it.

Really it was worth it for me and I adapted to not having the pain fairly quick in some ways, couple of months, but the mindset. That took me a while to get past. But just losing that fear of eating and drinking anything and losing sleep and the depression made the surgery worth every upset stomach after that which got better probably around the same time the mindset of being free of the anxiety kicked in.

Good luck hugs and trust me your rather have scheduled surgery than emergency.

• Posted

Hi Brittx3, you can only use these sites as a guide and peoples experiences.  You are PERFECTLY right in your thoughts as we are all different but let me assure you I do NOT want to live the rest of my life like I am.  I am hostage to diet, I am always in fear of what I can eat for fear of an attack, I have been like this for some years and did not even know it was the Gall Bladder and I personally am willing to take the chance of removal even though the Dr's are not!!!

Yes some people still suffer after removal and they have to take anti acid meds or other forms of diet still but when you understand what the digestive system does and I have learned a lot by coming on this site it is not surprising that some suffer after removal.  What you have to weigh up is, do you want an organ in your body which is failing anyway, let alone what it causes you in illness in your life?  There is a good chance with me and my situation that my Pancreas maybe involved too but I cannot even get the Dr's to believe what is staring them in the face through scans.

I know this is scary and I do not particularly want mine out but I do not want to live as I am with these attacks and even by what people have suffered after removal sounds a lot better than the torment I live now, it all sounds easy peasy, key hole surgery blah blah blah but surgery is surgery and a organ removal is not something to be taken lightly as there is ALWAYS a risk to any operation, mistakes happen and unexpected things may be found so its chance?   Unfortunately we have to trust others but all I know is I do not want these attacks NOR the chance of one.

I cannot guide you and it would be wrong for me or anyone to try doing so but educate yourself by reading these stories in sites like this and actually find people in your life who you can speak too.  My mother has been through it, I have spoken to nurses who have been through it and most say they are glad they had it removed even though some have to take meds as well.

What I find amazing is, the Dr's themselves seem to be totally unaware of what the Gall Bladder attack is and what it is like, when reading this site it is perfectly clear, so you then have to ask yourself WHY are Dr's like this?

There is no easy answer to your post because I still after what I have said have the same feelings as you.

Good luck and hope you make the right decision. biggrin 

• Posted

Simply put no I haven't.

Pre op I read a lot, dr googled etc to prepare and I went into my operation prepared to be in pain, feel awful for weeks and even after that have potential problems.

Instead I felt instantly better no pain, no laying around feeling sorry for myself, no lifting for 12 weeks the only physical restriction and no food restrictions I've found except real high sugar like boiled sweets and some desserts.

• Posted

It’s a risk either way... my was operating at 20% and my attacks were sent bad that I didn’t question remove my mine. Although once that was diagnosed and I changed my diet during the week leading up to my surgery, I did feel better. I would get a HIDA scan to figure out its operating percentage if you haven’t already. Everyone is different.. I am 8 months removed and now I’m having issues again, mine may or may not be gallbladder related but I’m going back to dr to attempt to figure it out. Take probiotics and journal your diet daily. This will help and you’ll see what you can eat and drink. Dairy and fatty foods suck. Bland... veggies and baked or grilled chicken only, it sucks...
    • Posted

I’m sorry that you are still not feeling well, Bryan. I hope you can get some answers from your doctor along with some relief! ☹️
  • Posted

Although everyone is different, I think it's fair to say that you won't be okay in one week. The whole digestion system changes after the gall bladder is removed and you will have all sorts of tummy issues going on.

Gas pains, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, to name but a few. For me, it's been a daily issue and not one that I am enjoying. No one told me to expect this and like you, I had heard that you can eat "normally" within a week to two weeks. It's just not true.

Think of it this way, your stomach and digestion system is now changed. It has to find ways to re-adjust itself to working order. The bile issues are only one of what it has to contend with but is all messed up and needs a fair amount of time to get back on track.

I would say it is far more realistic to think your eating won't be closer to okay till after about one to two months (if you're lucky).

I wasn't given a choice in what to do. I started having severe gall bladder attacks daily. The pain was extreme and had me in ER on an IV drip to just get by in the day.

You don't want to let yourself get to that point!

I was diagnosed with gall stones close to two years prior and messed about and thought to myself that it was fine and I had time.

When the gall stones and gall bladder decide enough is enough, you will find yourself in the worst pain you can imagine and the worries about how your eating will be after surgery, won't even matter at the point. You'll just desperately want relief.

I hope you make the best decisions for yourself and take care of your body. Unfortunately, gall bladder issues don't magically go away (despite the promises online).

• Posted

I dont think people are making promises but the majority seem to after removal and a few weeks but I am also sure you are advised to steer clear of fatty foods still. but no matter what its surely has to be better than waiting for an attack>

• Posted

Hi there

I agree totally, recovering from the surgery is the easy bit but like you eating has become the challenge, I suffered from horrible gastritis for a few weeks, like you rightly say the digestive system is trying to adjust. I hope you are well and truly on the mend and send you a hug from a fellow gallbladderless survivor!😊

• Posted

I feel it is very under publicized re the dissolving possibility of cholesterol type stones and I feel it is essencial

for every one to ask his or her gastroenterology surgeon  about that fact.......  Ursodioxycholic will dissolve gall stones of type. Surely this is a better option than the knife?

It's two years now with no symptoms whatsoever for myself and I would not think of saying that if it were not true.  I had had a biopsy not related to my gall bladder that took two months to heal below my navel. I did not want to contemplate another operation soon after that surgery. All mt GPs refused to write me a script for Urso but my surgeon said he was willing to let me give Urso a go and fully understood the situation.

After noting that 5 stones that were symptomatic were reduced to two that were made much smaller and Asymptomatic he was pleased with the fact that they had avoided the surgery that one of his registrars said was inevitable........

This proves beond any doubt that many of those learning still have a lot to learn and this applies to not only medical but any profession.

How come an engineer knew more about the dissolution technique better than the lady gastrologist who said she knew every mortal thing about gall bladders ? That situation was unforgivable because once a gall bladder is removed it's gone forever.  Some people have closed minds which again is contrary to good practice.........  I hope my surgeon who is top notch had a word with her ... then again as things are in the NHS as in all other big organisations----  I doubt it !

The answer is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.......  While any one is doing that read the report that in the USA it has been found that a low fat diet in some instances CAUSES gall stones!

• Posted

I think that is very dangerous advice. People have gone without surgery believing that these diets or alternative methods will work and many have come close to death due to the gall bladder becoming so sick.

Please people, be aware of this and get yourself to a hospital asap if you try one of these methods and notice that you are becoming sicker and not better.

• Posted

Im 50/50 I have sludge and right now feel ill would it help me?????????
    • Posted

I'm obviously not a doctor but I will tell you the information that I know.

Everyone is different when it comes to the outcome of gall bladder surgery. Some have an easier time than others. I've heard some people say that they were back to normal eating with barely any stomach issues weeks after the surgery. I have also heard of people who are still having issues a year later and are having stomach issues.

None of us know who we will react.

I am assuming that sludge won't resolve itself on it's own and it can become much worse. That being said, surgery might end up being your only option.

But as for how you will be after the surgery is over, it's anyone's guess.

I wish you the best and hope that whatever you decide to do, that you take care of yourself and don't let your gall bladder become too bad.

Unfortunately gall bladder issues don't normally go away on their own.

• Posted

Easier said than done if you're in the UK👎👎👎 Since i've been here i've seen so many people outside the UK come, get treated and go. Yet  i've read through pretty mych every thread going back years and 90% of the time people in the UK have a nightmare.

• Posted

Interesting that you assume that, but I suppose being as it's a UK based site I can see why.

But no, I am not from UK.

• Posted

In my opinion it's not under publicised just only suitable for a small number of people and only works for a smaller number of people. If it works for you great but in fairness you won't know how successful your treatment has been until you stop taking it.

Two quotes from the NHS website on the treatment of gallstones and the reason a low fat diet can cause gallstones. I was told about it by my GP and did some research of my own before I knew the extent of my gallbladder problem.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gallstones/treatment/

(Quote)Medication to dissolve gallstones

If your gallstones are small and don't contain calcium, it may be possible to take ursodeoxycholic acid tablets to dissolve them.

However, these aren't prescribed very often because:

they're rarely very effective

they need to be taken for a long time (up to two years)

gallstones can recur once treatment is stopped

Side effects of ursodeoxycholic acid are uncommon and are usually mild. The most commonly reported side effects are feeling sick, being sick and itchy skin.

The use of ursodeoxycholic acid isn't usually recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Sexually active women should use either a barrier method of contraception, such as a condom, or a low-dose oestrogen contraceptive pill while taking ursodeoxycholic acid, as it may affect other types of oral contraceptive pills.

Ursodeoxycholic acid tablets are occasionally also prescribed as a precaution against gallstones if it's thought you're at risk of developing them. For example, you may be prescribed ursodeoxycholic acid if you've recently had weight loss surgery, as rapid weight loss can cause gallstones to grow. 

Diet and gallstones

In the past, people with gallstones who weren't suitable for surgery were sometimes advised to adopt a very low fat diet to stop the gallstones growing.

However, recent evidence suggests this isn't helpful, because rapid weight loss resulting from a very low fat diet can actually cause gallstones to grow.

Therefore, if surgery isn't recommended or you want to avoid having an operation, it's advisable to adopt a healthy and balanced diet based on the Eatwell Guide. This involves eating a variety of foods – including moderate amounts of fat – and having regular meals.

A healthy diet won't cure gallstones or completely eliminate your symptoms, but it can improve your general health and help control pain caused by gallstones.(Quote)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.