Dihydrocodeine addiction.

Posted , 41 users are following.

One last thing I need to say and then I'm outta here. I'm reading a lot on here about dihydrocodeine addiction...it's as bad as heroin addiction. Drug addicts...etc etc. Well, here is the truth, absolute. If you take dihydrocodeine at a high therapeutic dose for say 3-4 weeks daily, then you are physically dependent on them. And you will continue to be physically dependent on them until you stop taking them. BUT YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED! Addiction is a chronic condition, framed in an obsessive compulsion to repeat the bahaviour, in this case drug taking, no matter what detrimental effects the behaviour may be having on your life. Addiction means you lie, steal, rob to take ever higher doses of a substance, progressing through the stages of harm with administration (ie. from snorting or smoking heroin to injecting it). Ultimately you spend ALL of your time looking for money or drugs to the exclusivity of everything else. Addiction is defined by a chronic, unstable lifestyle that is out of control. If you are going searching for more and more scripts, or money to buy DHC AND TAKING EVER GREATER DOSAGES then you are addicted to them. Otherwise, you are physically dependent. Nothing more and nothing less. Please, no more of these comments about how being on a DHC script is as bad as being a heroin addict. I was a heroin addict for 20 years and believe me, it is FAR worse than being dependent on a DHC script.

6 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been reading some of your thoughts, and i would just like to say that addiction is addiction. Whether you rob and steal to get your next hit or whatever.

I was alcoholic for over 20yrs and as a result i now have chronic pancreatitis, one of the most painful conditions there is (ask around it's true).

When in hospital i am put on a morphine PCA, with 5/10mg per shot.

At home i take 10 Dihyhydrocodine at 30mg and 8 tramadol at 50mg every single day whether the pain is really bad or not, because i have had to take that dose for at least 3 yrs due to the pain levels i was experiencing when i take less or god forbid run out i go through a worse cold turkey than when i went to rehab for my alcohol problem.

Unfortunately this is what happens after long term use of any substance, i have a running battle with my doctor about the amount of pain meds i use.As i often now have to increase just to cope with moderate pain.

It's a classic catch 22 situation, Your stereo typed and stigmatized, disbelieved by the very doctors whom first prescribed you the medication, and in my case do to my history accused of substitution from alcohol to prescription drugs. When really you need these medications to function on a day to day basis.

• Posted

Sorry makes me upset reading all these stories as l no how hard it is.prayers and thoughts are with everyone who is battling this evil habit where ever it's heroin or dff118s methodone is what's done me in 14 years crap

• Posted

hi i miss new this site but i'm the same addicteto DHC i've been taking about 10,30mg a day i've managed to cut down to 4 tablets a day with the help off my doctor.it's one off the hardest things i've ever had to go throu the withdrawals etc but i'm seeing light at end off this HOPE,I recommend half a tablet cut down then u don't seem to notice it so much as when u cut a whole tab,i've been really bothered with leg cramps,breathless feeling horrible smell in nose and bit agitated at times.

• Posted

I have taken various kinds of codeine since a back injury. I ended up taking 30 30mg tablets per day and going to other towns to temporary register with GP to get more codeine. I went cold turkey and thought I was dying. I could sh*t through the eye of a needle at fifty paces, my sense of smell went weird and I was as weak as a kitten for a month. After a couple of months, I was back at the GP and the chemist and eventually I decided to be scientific about quitting. The big problem is living with the pain without the meds but it has to be better than running round the UK to get codeine. I got the GP to put me on DHC Continus, the slow release stuff in 60, 90, or 120mg. I abused this at first but eventually, I used the slow release stuff to ramp down the dose and stop. It took five weeks but the withdrawal wasn't as unpleasant. The GP is helping me manage my pain in other ways and for now, I am off the codeine. It has messed with my sense of smell though. I have a permanent bad smell in my nostrils. I see that we're on the semantics issue again. For me, I don't care whether the true definition is addiction or compulsion. What matters is that it messes up lives reduces lives and killed people. Call it what you like...
  • Posted

:cry: How? How did you get off it? I am addicted. I have lost everything I love due to this and it is an addiction. I pray I dont wake up. I hate the way I live and what I have to do to stop the agony of withdrawing. I am serious when I say I have lost everything. I am totally ashamed of my life. I didnt know the bad smell was because of the codiene though-thanks for that tip.

I am at the end of the end of myself. I dont have any fight left in me and believe me I have always been a fighter. I have been seriously ill I was not expected to survive, on life support for a month. But I did survive and I cant accept it was just for this. I think that is the only reason I am still here. Because somewhere in me is the flicker of truth that just maybe it doesnt have to be this way. But I am utterly without hope at this moment, if I knew the level that would end all this for me I would just do it but my tolerance is so high that I just end up making myself really ill and then having to manage without for a bit which is worse than dying to me. I cant get out. I really cant and I have never been stupid or an idiot but my life has become totally unmanageable, it is outside of my control, at least it feels like that. I have a daughter I dont see her very much but she is the only light in my life and I cant even stop for her...why?!!!! I love her utterly and completely, I have this terrible fear that she will end up like me and when I do see her I advise her as best I can a 7 yr old. But I know ultimately I couldnt ever stop her, my parents couldnt stop me, what if she chooses this? She is totally without guile, an innocent, a shinning light just as I was at her age. How did this ever get so bad and how,please someone just tell me how to stop. And dont say stop putting it in your mouth because that wont cut it. I cant stop. I hate what I have become but I cant stop taking it, or abusing it. I never understood that term because I felt for so long like the drug abused me. But I do understand it now. Someone, anyone please tell me how I stop this? I am going to a church based recovery support group. Its the only thing I actually go out for anymore. Im amazed I go at all but each week my feet keep finding their own way there and I end up there. Every week. Looking and smelling like death itself. I like it there. I am not judged there, or humiliated, or hurt. They actually smile when I walk in, they give me a meal and coffee and a warm clean safe place to run to. One of them actually hugged me once. Me. This is only 2 hours a week. How do I manage the rest? I am absolutely desperate. I dont know where else to run and Im just so tired. I cant mange going out mixing with people. I never used to be like this. Believe me. I would be the person at school voted least likely to end up here. I barely sleep, rarely eat, am in utter poverty and yet still I find something to sell, beg, borrow to keep up with my need for this drug. The only things I do are maintain my prescriptions and sometimes I go out because of her. My daughter. I can find the push to do things for her, like trawling town for sandals and a white sheet for roman day. I dont know how I do this but something in me pushes really hard when its her. I take her out when I see her, try to make sure she eats a hot meal and gets her homework done and goes to french after school each week even though my cheques keep bouncing, I do find the cash to pay for that. Her dad provides everything else its the very least I should do for her. Like I said, I dont know how I do that because when I dont see her I stagnate in my living room on the sofa, its where I live, sleep, drink tea. But even this is getting out of control as I used to beable to make sure the place was clean and the washing up was done before I collected her but Im ashamed to say that I couldnt find a clean cup for her juice last time she came and that is pretty apalling mothering. But I do love her and I thought that would be enough to

• Posted

did you end up stopping it if so how please let me know im going crazy
    • Posted

Hi are you any further forward ... I know these are old posts and I'm nowhere near like you I have my children I manage my day to day tasks but I'm heavily addicted and have to take them every morning to function ... Are you any better now a year on?? Xx

• Posted

Quip. Please can you email me. I'm a mother of 5 going through exactly the same as you, your story really touched me. Please email me hon.

[quote:2714914af8=\"quip\"]:cry: How? How did you get off it? I am addicted. I have lost everything I love due to this and it is an addiction. I pray I dont wake up. I hate the way I live and what I have to do to stop the agony of withdrawing. I am serious when I say I have lost everything. I am totally ashamed of my life. I didnt know the bad smell was because of the codiene though-thanks for that tip.

I am at the end of the end of myself. I dont have any fight left in me and believe me I have always been a fighter. I have been seriously ill I was not expected to survive, on life support for a month. But I did survive and I cant accept it was just for this. I think that is the only reason I am still here. Because somewhere in me is the flicker of truth that just maybe it doesnt have to be this way. But I am utterly without hope at this moment, if I knew the level that would end all this for me I would just do it but my tolerance is so high that I just end up making myself really ill and then having to manage without for a bit which is worse than dying to me. I cant get out. I really cant and I have never been stupid or an idiot but my life has become totally unmanageable, it is outside of my control, at least it feels like that. I have a daughter I dont see her very much but she is the only light in my life and I cant even stop for her...why?!!!! I love her utterly and completely, I have this terrible fear that she will end up like me and when I do see her I advise her as best I can a 7 yr old. But I know ultimately I couldnt ever stop her, my parents couldnt stop me, what if she chooses this? She is totally without guile, an innocent, a shinning light just as I was at her age. How did this ever get so bad and how,please someone just tell me how to stop. And dont say stop putting it in your mouth because that wont cut it. I cant stop. I hate what I have become but I cant stop taking it, or abusing it. I never understood that term because I felt for so long like the drug abused me. But I do understand it now. Someone, anyone please tell me how I stop this? I am going to a church based recovery support group. Its the only thing I actually go out for anymore. Im amazed I go at all but each week my feet keep finding their own way there and I end up there. Every week. Looking and smelling like death itself. I like it there. I am not judged there, or humiliated, or hurt. They actually smile when I walk in, they give me a meal and coffee and a warm clean safe place to run to. One of them actually hugged me once. Me. This is only 2 hours a week. How do I manage the rest? I am absolutely desperate. I dont know where else to run and Im just so tired. I cant mange going out mixing with people. I never used to be like this. Believe me. I would be the person at school voted least likely to end up here. I barely sleep, rarely eat, am in utter poverty and yet still I find something to sell, beg, borrow to keep up with my need for this drug. The only things I do are maintain my prescriptions and sometimes I go out because of her. My daughter. I can find the push to do things for her, like trawling town for sandals and a white sheet for roman day. I dont know how I do this but something in me pushes really hard when its her. I take her out when I see her, try to make sure she eats a hot meal and gets her homework done and goes to french after school each week even though my cheques keep bouncing, I do find the cash to pay for that. Her dad provides everything else its the very least I should do for her. Like I said, I dont know how I do that because when I dont see her I stagnate in my living room on the sofa, its where I live, sleep, drink tea. But even this is getting out of control as I used to beable to make sure the place was clean and the washing up was done before I collected her but Im asham

• Posted

hi

I m a rehabilitation worker, and my job is to help people overcome their dependency, or addiction. Call it what you like, the effects are the same, its just jargon.

And it is a myth that all 'addicts' are criminals.

I have a great deal of empathy for people why feel that there is no way out from this dependency.

However, you could enter a programme of substitute prescribing.

Now, i have heard so many people ask:' Why should i swap one drug for another?'

the reason for this is that you will be monitored and checked regularly when you are on a substitute prescription. You will have the opportunity for counselling and practical assistance, like relapse prevention and motivation to change, as well as looking at self esteem and confidence issues.

When you feel ready, the substitute prescription will be very gradually reduces, de-toxing you without any physical withdrawals.

Just contact your local addiction services, who should be able to help and support. If you don't know where they are, ask your doctor.

And it is hard work, and a very big decision, because you will have to give up using dihydrocodeine, it can be very scary.

But there's a way out, a difficult way, but a way

all the very very best

and if anyone would like to ask anything (re. drug/alcohol dependency), feel free

smile

• Posted

Please Please Evefirst how can i get in touch with the right people to help my son overcome his DHC addiction.it has taken ove rhis life and to the point where he cannot think sleep eat or function without it.he doesn't want to come off and i'm seeing my youngest child slowwly killing himself and hes only 21...now he's ending up in prison,he's lost all his supported housing and listens to nothing but when will he get the next script from...he regularly fakes the scripts and the chemists believe him! he has misbehaved with his gp and then another because they wont give him more..he gets through  200 to 300 tabs a week i think but now he is facing homelessness because he couldn't get along  with other people in the supported housing...hes appeared in court and the solicitor says there's nothing they can do...now he's becoming increasingly unreal talking about how important and rich and famous he is...how can i help him to the right services...rehab and how do i do that? Im really asking for help please please do drop a line if you can
    • Posted

Hi there if I was to go completely cold turkey can you please tell me how long the nasty effects will last? i really need to get off this and i am determined to this time before more of my life is wasted. thank you for your time
    • Posted

Thank you for pointing out not everyone tht take this it a criminal because im addicted to this and tramadol im in a bad way rite now poppin30 aday i started taking Dhyhadrocdine to come of tramad but ended up getting hooked on these more. Aye have a child i love and look after a full time job and a nice life but this my dark secret im dealing with myself. I have been seein my GP and not been truthful with her i have started havin seizures been using for 6years. Reading all these storys has really made me see the light and im goin to see my GP next week and im goin to tell her everything im so scared but i dont want to die ir lose everything time to get help thank you. Any addvice would be appreciated thank you ⭐
    • Posted

Did u manage to come of this drug. Withdrawal from this is hell ⭐
    • Posted

Hi Gary,   I'm not off these bas**** but after stopping once for two whole weeks strangely enough on the 13 th day the sneezing was uncontrollable . Good job it happened in the evening and not when I was out . It would have been embarrassing lol.  Unfortunately for me I'd done two whole weeks and was pretty much done and then like an idiot I wondered if because I'd been off them for a bit if I would get a nicer buzz. What a fool I am. Good luck Gary X 

• Posted

Hi angie how are you doin now just noticed yiu wrote on here at the same time as me. Im slowly killing myself with this damn drug its hell warned up 😯 hope you are ok x
    • Posted

Yes Hun I'm not too  bad , I have days when I try to reduce my amount I take. Most days though I usually have like 10.  Not brilliant really as I wish I didn't need them full stop. Yes it's a mess that I' don't seem to be able to get out of.  Hope you're ok x

• Posted

Hi everfirst may I say that although I can tell you mean well I fear that you are recommending a course of action that may not help the people on this Dihydrocodeine. I am a ex addict who was on Methadone and Heroin and finally Subutex for many years. I am also a Recovery Worker and Qualified Counsellor. The thing is going down the route of Drug and Alcohol services for this problem is rather like hitting a pin with a sledgehammer. Actually it is worse than that because any client attending such agencies will either be put on Methadone (it should not even be prescribed in my view any more) or Bupenorphine. The latter is not the wonder drug it is claimed to be and often results in really long term addiction (Im talking years here). It is also no picnic coming off it. Trust me people with Dihydrocodeine habits will do far better to reduce their dose as much as they can. I would suggest getting down to at most one three times a day before jumping. If unable to do thisd themselves get their GP to do it and prescribe them Gabapentin or Pregabalin to ease the process. When they do stop the DF's the Pregabalin can be moderately increased and possibly suplemented with Clonidine to lower BP at night. That is an easy way of coming off Dihydrocodeine which at the end opf the day is a far lesser evil than Methadone or Bupenorphine and Subutex. Agencies are mostly comissioned to prescribe Methadone or Bupenorhine and Subutex only. I know from working in one that they do not have the flexibility to deal with an addiction that is at the lower end of the opiate scale compared to Methadone and Heroin. Pregabalin increases the individual's Self-Efficacy (their belief that they can do it) by banishing the awful depression and anxiety that are what trap people in addiction). It is Self-efficacy which is as you will know is the biggest indicators of successful outcomes in drug treatment. As I said I recognise your genuine good intentions and positive message.It is not my intention to detract from that. My reply is simply to raise a note of caution against people on here going to an agency and ending up on a much worse addiction. I hope this helps some of the people on here. It worked for me! Best Wishes John

• Posted

I'm sorry been on here every night and I've just noticed your reply. I would be quite happy with myself if i was on 10 a day. I've been depressed lately and eating 30 - 40 a day thts not including tramadol i take with it. I hate myself for getting in this mess. I dont want to die. I cant die my child needs me. I've not lost much YET so its time to take control of my life it STOPS NOW no more self pitty i dont like this miserable bitch that I've become. Im waiting to see a drugs councilor think this my best bet to get of these disgusting pills but im going to start cutting down on them till i see the rite people n then take it from there. We can do this. Our lifes are more important.

• Posted

Yes love you will get there because you have the fight in you . I think people don't achieve because sometimes there isn't the fight inside them.   Good luck and you go girl !!!. X

• Posted

Hi John I have just been giving shock of my life my partner tell he he is addicted to these painkillers his gp putting him on methadone and supposedly still trying to get measure right?? So he still taking these tablet but the most worrying thing for me is he couldn't get them so bought Heroin I can't get my head round this information , he is under so much stress with father wasting away from lung cancer now this , am not sure how I can help feel his explanations aren't making sense , m glad to see your take on it and will go to his gp with this what am reading about methadone is scary

• Posted

Hi Lesley I hear what you are saying and appreciate the difficulty of your situation. I can only reiterate my caution regarding the transfer to Methadone. It is in my experience the hardest opiate to come off and easily as addictive if not more so, than heroin. This country is full of long term Methadone addicts (and boy do I mean long term!). I am talking tens of years and much more. Your partner would be better going private if his GP is insisting on Methadone. A straight Dihydrocodeine reduction would be best in my view and then a detox facilitated with |Pregabalin or Gabapentin. I don't know where you are but private Treatment is available in London and should be elsewhere. To be honest it does sound as if your partner has got a taste for opioates and that may be related to his situation with his father or it may not.Yes Methadone is really scary and creates in my view more serious problems. Good luck and if I can help I will. John

• Posted

Hi 😊

You mentioned a substitute can you elaborate please I'm a mother of two and I manage to get through my days because I'm on these painkillers . I have endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain and mennorhaggia ....I am in a lot of pain everyday , however I do abuse my scripts and take a lot more than I should ....I can't imagine not taking them , I need them to get through a day .

I feel like superwoman on them but without them I can't get washed or dressed or off the sofa ....I just want to be again and not need these little white pills to feel human

Any advice would be appreciated x

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me John , am really confused over the anger and trying to help but he doesn't have doc until Tuesday W phish I will go to will your info so thanks very much ... But they are trying him on methadone think 30mg a day but it not helping so he still using drugs as well 120 dfs if that makes sense 15 of them so I don't see point of bloody methadone if not cutting down pain killers am I missing something so trying to keep level head as I know he in a state and trying to stop 

• Posted

Hi Lesley no problem. No I don't see the point of taking Methadone and DFs. All that will do is increase his habit big time. It sounds as if your partner is getting in deep to his addiction. That would explain his anger if he.  is in denial about his problem. It kind of sounds like he just wants to blot everything out at moment. It is difficult to be honest with caring loved ones when that is the case. He does not need in my humble opinion to take 30ml of Methadone which should be holding him if he was taking 15 DFs a day. However your post mentions 120 Dfs. Is that an error as that would be just crazy?

• Posted

Hey john no that is what he said they are very strong I wrote everything down , think I need to ride out this until I go with him to see doctor , he had actually went to docs on his own but I knew something wrong been quite a while finally got it out of him on Friday night . But it all doesn't make sense to me think he listens more to ppl who are on higher doses etc he says 30mg not holding at all but doesn't get that at very least the other stuff should be getting lower its heartbreaking seeing the state he is in , am not sure is he meaning he takes 4 at a time could that be it making it 120 , I am constantly asking him stuff and don't want to overwhelm him but is getting more frighten every day , when he not getting dfs he taking heroin snorting it , as so glad I found this forum , oh we are in Glasgow,tomorrow when he at work going to phone a few places I know for help before see doc again, your info has really helped me keep it together 

• Posted

Hi Nelly, may I ask...how did you get on with your drugs counselling? I am due to see one next week.

Suzx

• Posted

Hi John69167,  Just read your post and am really impressed with your comments and knowledge of addiction.  i have had( and still) have problems with pain meds. My history goes back to 1974 ish when pain in lower back became impossible to live with, so i had to do something about it and went to Doctors.Anywhy long story made short i ended up on DF118 (DIHY) i took to forging scrips and got caught, doctor washed is hands with me. Still in pain from CAUDA EQUINA diagnosed, so bought my meds on internet and have been right!!! up to date now year 2017  until NHS made this impossible to do because internet sites have to notify your Doctor of meds you need to buys. I am now on Tramadol 6 a day and Pregalin 225mgs X2 . this is the least amount of meds i have taken for many years, still in LOTS of pain but what is the answer !! Feel miserable / depressed/ but somehow i feel their is light around the corner.

​                      

• Posted

Hi no one watching me left to do a 14 year detox on my own mum of 5 moved 851 miles scared on dff118s hearing all these stories about these tablets been on for 27 days l have cut down to 3 a day hard as meth still has a hold of my body it's no bloody week if u been on it for 14 years it gets in the brain your body has to learn all other again thus is so hard feel so alone no one helping me l am hoping it ends soon as got my life to get on with school runs so on please can someone tell me there is light cox at moment l feel in the dark it's crap

• Posted

Hi there - hope you're ok - I came off these again 13 days ago - I cut myself slowly down from 10 a day to 1 a day over a week and then came off..

I am now 13 days without and feel great again... all the side effects have gone - i started feeling a lot better on day 10

prior to that it was the usual - lots of stomach problems, nasty anxiety and shakes

hope all goes well - stay in touch if you need it

• Posted

hi chris good for you to manage to i'm stuck on 3 a day i've had none the last 2 days and withdrawals are awful got GP tomorrow hopefully get something for cramps etc  my plan is to go down to 2 then 1 dhc but this running out these tablets feels like my arms been cut off 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.