DLA to PIP=rip off

Posted , 9 users are following.

Not sure who ATOS are and no idea why after the government used an private employment agency was a majour flop they have another outside agency determining people's disability? surely your GP, Consultants and Adult social service know what you are like and your needs. I'm getting worried because I've heard a lot of stories of people losing their benefits or mobility cars. I've been disabled since 1992 due to a severe illnes and and have had my high rate mobility middle rate of care undefined. Now I have a so called health professsional for a home visit. If you are not liable to improve why do the government put us through even more stress and threatening our ability to employ carers? Thought they were supposed to look after the poor and needy. Disabled people are lucky if they get £10,000/year and they are trying to cut our money. They already stitch you up, my wife is my full time carer and got paid carers allowance, until she qualified for her pension, now she gets £12 pension credit instead of £55 but doing the same job. She gets her pension as a right not abenefit.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The Government does know and just doesn't care.  As DLA was replaced by PIP to save money they made it as difficult as possible to claim hoping claimants would give up and/or die earlier instead!   This would save them a fortune so they could give themselves and their millionaire friends even bigger tax cuts.   Call me cynical if you like but I firmly believe that.  x

• Posted

In my opinion, you are not cynical.

The government moved the goalposts and as many of us know to our costs (literally, with PIP being refused and having to go thru the process of requesting reconsideration and going for appeal; and in the form of stress) all too often the decision maker tells us that something we have submitted is not covered by the criteria for PIP and/or that the criteria for DLA is different to PIP.

• Posted

Well l sent my PIP claim in 6 weeks ago Steve  and so far l have heard diddly squat so the stress just builds and builds l find and there are many others who will find it just as hard or even harder  to cope with sadly. 
    • Posted

Hi Belgravia

As you might be aware (as I have previously commented on this and is something which demonstrates the double standards) DWP set timescales for us to submit their forms, reconsiderations etc (28 days from date of their letter, not date it was received, and as they send everything second class can take a week to reach us). If we dont respond within their timeframe, we are penalized but they can keep us waiting and add to the stress and we have no say and they are under no obligation or work to timescales for their response. The wellworn phrases of backlogs and prioritizing claims is an excuse not a reason. In my personal opinion, the delay in response may contribute as to why so few decide to appeal the decision and take their claim to tribunal. Having gone thru the stress so far some may feel the ordeal is not worth it. To those who may feel like that, you have my utmost sympathy, but ask anyone who may feel that to please consider your right and go to appeal. 60% of claims which go to court win.

Good luck and I hope that your wait is not much longer and the outcome is favourable.

• Posted

Mine arrived at christmas and had to be returned before the 22nd Jan, sent them back on the 18th didn't hear anything until the other day. meantime I was told that I had been taken off Incapcity Benefit and put on the new one, can't remember what it's called but the same money? So I'm no longer incapacitated, that makes me feel a whole lot healthier? don't think so.

• Posted

It's now called ESA. Incapacity Benefit ended and everyone had to be transfered quite some time ago.

• Posted

So once you returned your PIP claim form how long was it before you got some type of corespondence from them zorro56? regarding any possible assessment date or how far you are in the PIP claiming  system.
    • Posted

Nothing until the other day when I was informed that I have a Health Professional coming to see me Thursday between 12.00 - 14.00. If I do not get the same money does that mean that I have been defrauding the Government for the last 25 years? lol
    • Posted

No it doesn't mean that. PIP is totally different to DLA and has different criteria. Many people who qualified for DLA don't qualify for PIP, especially the mobility part. Enhanced mobility PIP the criteria is 20 metres for DLA it was 50 metres, huge difference.

• Posted

Absolutely as the criteria is very much different so my advice is to get advice about filling in the PIP claim form from advice centres or get helpful advice online.
  • Posted

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that if you don't receive any renewal forms to transfer from dla to pip then dwp can stop your dla and inform you that they sent the forms to you and therefore you have to prove you did not receive them.

Also that when you do return the completed forms the dwp can insist that as they have not received them you did not send them.

Hopefully these are both urban myths and someone will put me right.

Mike.

• Posted

l know when l sent my PIP claim back l sent it Special delivery so that l could be certain that they would recieve it.
    • Posted

First off you'll be sent a letter asking you to apply for PIP, you then ring them to start your application off. They'll send you the "how your disability affects" you form and you should receive it in about 7 working days. If you don't then i'd ring them to chase it up. It is your responsibility to make sure you get this form because your DLA is at risk of stopping otherwise.

Mail often goes missing with DWP which is why i always advice people to never send originals and always copies, this way you have a copy for yourself. Proof of posting is the best way to send anything to DWP because registered post is a complete waste of time. Mail going to DWP has to go through a sorting procedure first which means it takes at least 7 working days for them to register it on the ir computer. Until it's done all mail is classed as not arriving. As long as you have that proof of posting you can prove you did actually send it. Hope this helps.

• Posted

You'll be sent a letter to transfer to PIP from DLA and given a deadline to start the process.  If you haven't got in touch I think you get a reminder letter a week before the deadline (I know I got a reminder for the PIP2 form, I just think I got a reminder for the first stage too but it's a while back so I might be wrong).  If you don't get either of these letters they would suspend your DLA and hopefully you would then contact them to find out why and you would be allowed to start the process.  I'm not sure if they always restart your DLA after it has been suspended.  If you don't contact them within the 4 week suspension period your DLA will be terminated.

As for returning you form I'd suggest always paying to have it signed for so you have evidence that you sent something.  If they claim not to have received it you'll have a time that it was signed for and who signed for it.  If you are willing to put your mobile number and receive updates from them they'll send a text message to say they've sent your form and received your form etc.  If you don't receive anything from them I suggest you phone on or before your deadline to check they have received it.  If they haven't ask for an extension and either check again a few days later (in case it's just a delay their end) or request a new form to complete and return.  

I didn't complete the majority of the answers on the form.  I filled in the basics but on the more detailed sections I just referred them to additional pages that I had written in word.  I did this as I find it easier to type than write, so that I could refer to it later, and also to be able to add to it over time in future when something happens that might be relevant to an activity so that reclaiming in future won't be quite so daunting.  It would also help if they claimed not to have received the form as it's easier to reprint your claim information than have to fill in the form from scratch again.

It's possible that they'll claim not to receive your form and that you won't receive their letters but I didn't have any problems in this respect.  My form took a couple of weeks to arrive after they said they had sent it which is ridiculous but it did arrive.

• Posted

Paying for registered post isn't the greatest idea because post going to DWP has to go through a sorting process before it reaches the department it's meant for. It's not classed as arriving until it's reached this department therefore paying extra to post is pointless. Proof of posting which is free is more than enough. All you need is proof that it's been posted this is enough to shut them up when and if they turn around and tell someone they haven't recieved it. Never trust DWP with anything especially post! Many times i've sent things and even took letters into my local job centre and still they claim they haven't recieved them.

• Posted

I don't agree.  I used to get proof of posting but on two occasions they claimed that they hadn't received my letters.  One was requesting a PIP1 form and could have resulted in my DLA being suspended.  Luckily someone in the jobcentre called them for me before the deadline so I didn't lose out.  All it proves is that you posted something.  You could have posted an empty envelope or it might not have arrived.  If you have a way of tracking your post you can see and prove that it did arrive and any problems after that is clearly due to a problem their end.

Each to their own though.  If you are happy with proof of posting then stick with it.  I like to see that signature showing that it arrived and I'd worry if I couldn't do that given my past experience.

• Posted

My DLA is still being paid until they finish my PIP assesment so I presume that there will be no gap of no money.

I didn't come accross that problem of posting but there are some discussions on here about that, have a scan through

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.