Do thyroid pills make you tired after taking?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've noticed over the years that after I wake up and take thyroid (Levo and now Armour) I get sleepy 20 minutes after. I often fall back to sleep. I stop eating about 6-7:00 pm so basically fasting for 11-12 hours.  I wait 1 hour before eating breakfast or coffee, coffee is only 1-2 maybe 3 oz. After I take thyroid med. I'm hypo by the way.

i do have severe reactive hypoglycemia... Could these pills have something causing me low blood sugar reactions???

anyone experience this? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know about low blood sugar but I had that "sleepy after 20 minutes" effect when I was on Levo. I would take it at 7:00am and fall asleep about 7:30am - very annoying since I like to be up and about by 8:00am. The "sleepy" thing would keep me asleep until 9:00am if I didn't force myself to get up.

I think there are many phenomena linked to thyroid medication that have not yet been researched, hypoglycemia may be one of them. Raising of blood pressure is another one, that happened to me and I cannot find too much written about it. It certainly lowers your metabolic rate (evidenced by one's basal temperature, mine is 97.2!).

Problem is that they have not yet sorted out the major symptoms so "sleepy after 20 mins" is not likely to be studied, probably, in our lifetime.

• Posted

I just found a guy on line who says yes thyroid and hypoglycemia and even hyperglycemia can be related. I was tested for Hashimoto's and thought my ENT doctor said yes I have it, but he left our town. I didn't get my records...I know...stupid on my part.  Took me a while to find another doctor, but they don't have records.  I'm going to go to affiliate hospital tomorrow and see if I can find out. 

I've struggled with hypoglycemia most of my life and it is awful. Doctors don't care.  But as I meantioned, before I even eat now I feel so tired and can't think easily. Ugh. 

Im also slowly reducing Prednisone corticoid steroid and it affect cortisol, so maybe that's messed up right now too. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Posted

Thanks.

i read hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia might be connected to thyroid issues.  Hope I can find more info on it. 

Just trying to figure out the symptom difference now.

• Posted

Have you considered taking it at night? Seemed to help a lot of people according to this thread: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/taking-levothyroxine-at-night-improved-my-life--226315
    • Posted

Wow! Though without reading all 100+ replies... What constitutes an empty stomach?  If take at night, how many hours after eating I wonder. Do you know? 

I did see the calcium thing recently so I just stopped that !  Seems doctors should tell us about that.

thanks for link!!!

• Posted

Regarding calcium: I like to make sure I get calcium in my diet so I eat a yoghurt every day or drink some Keifer or drinkable yoghurt. But eat/drink it way away from your maximum thyroid meds intake. 

I do not want to take calcium supplements in pill form because the excess over and above what your body needs can precipitate out in your  kidneys and cause kidney stones.

Stick with yoghurt or milk.

Just an added little note. One of the reasons Endos medicate to TSH is because if your TSH is very low (supressed) then they think that will cause osteoporosis. I "ran hot" (i.e. very low TSH - almost imperceptible) for 8 years and because I eat yoghurt my bone density increased! Now, there is another reason: they think it can "harm" your heart. I have no experience with heart problems (after 8 years of TSH < 0.1mlu/l) but if i do i will post my experience here. 0.1mlu/l)="" but="" if="" i="" do="" i="" will="" post="" my="" experience="">

• Posted

Wow! Your TSH is low! So are you hyper?

i have Polymylagia so I must take 1200 calcium. Rheumy stopped me on dairy, flour, grains, starches, bad fats, legumes.  Ugh. 

My primary doctor only test TSH and refused Armour, but my Rheumy said she only does Armour and tests T3 and T4.  I'm new to Armour, maybe two months. 

I do fear the supplements, I've never believed in them before.  

Problem is Prednisone (only thing for PMR) increases chance for osteoporosis, and two weeks ago my Dexa said I have osteoporosis. Damn. I'm only 54. Was a triathlete and marathon runner 7 years ago.

• Posted

Thyroid meds need to be taken on an empty stomach as food affects the absorption. So either take in morning an hour before breakfast or at night at least 4 hours after food.
    • Posted

.Note: You need magnesium and vitamin D Levels to be good to process calcium
    • Posted

No not hyper, I am hypo at cell level if I don't get external T3 from Armour.The measureing of TSH only tells you what is going on in the blood serum or the efficiency of your pituatory gland, that is the crux of all of the problems.

Please give your Rheumy a big hug from me for being one of the rare sensible doctors who understands this problem - her efforts are appreciated all the way from California.

• Posted

Afraid I don't know sorry! Best I can offer is my magnesium says to take it on an empty stomach two hours after eating and wait an hour before eating again... So that might be a good starting point?
    • Posted

My TSH was also low (aka 'suppressed') - for 15ish years. I've taken dolomite (calcium and magnesium) for 20+ years and have never had kidney stones and my bone density is 10% better than average for my age. So am I an exception or is it not that simple that calcium causes kidney stones? I have recently had an ECG to check my heart and that came back normal. I still had underactive thyroid symptoms when my TSH was suppressed. My T4 readings had to be just over the top of the range for my T3 to be mid-range and for me to not feel like a zombie. I've recently had an endo tell me I've never had a problem with T3 because it was always in range. What he was failing to look at was the relative position of each within its range when compared to the other i.e. if T4 is top of its range, T3 should also be top of its range.
    • Posted

That was supposed to be a ) not a wink!
  • Posted

I'm not even sure my doctors have looked at my magnesium levels. 

My D was low, so I was on 5000, but now on 2000.

i recently read about magnesium so I started taking it, but my legs cramp when I take it which makes NO sense because that is not a symptom. Twice I've started it, stopped, cramps went away (legs at night or early morn).

i did get my old labs from over two years ago, they did test me for Hoshimoto's and I do have it.  I also saw that my TSH levels were real good there for a bit, but last few years it's been in the middle or higher (2.5-3.?)

but yes... will trust Rheumy and the T3, T4 tests next month.

i took my Armour last night at 12:30 a.m.  Then awoke at 4:30, Couldnt go back to sleep, so I made breakfast, took my Prednisone, then got sleepy, dozed off till 7:00. Ha, ha... I'll try this nighttime taking it and see. 

And yes... No calcium until maybe lunch time!!! It is also a contradiction with my Plaquinel which no doctor told me about.  Gee wiz. 

• Posted

Hi Layne, just a short note.

I would not take Armour at night because you will be wasting your T3 which is the energy giving hormone, it only lasts 6 +/-2 hours.  I take mine first thing in the morning knowing that I might konk out about 2:00pm - and then I take an extra 1/4 grain to keep me going 'till evening.

​Also, get as many of your minerals/elements, e.g. magnesium from foods. You will find magnesium in whole grains, avocados, dark leafy greens, fish , dried fruit, nuts.

You seem to be learning very quickly, welcome to the club.

• Posted

HI LayneTX, When you said you took your armour at 12:30am did you mean in the middle of the night? If so I'm not surprised you woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Armour contains T3 which acts like kick up the backside to your metabolism it working. Try taking half yoour dsily dose when you wake up and half 6-8 hours later. My underdtanding of what people mean when they say they take their thyroid meds at night, is that they take thyroxine at night - which only contains T4 and doesn't have the kickstart effect. (I'm sure there is a medical term for kickstart!)
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara and LAH, 

I didn't know that!!! I'm so tired in mornings, that's why I tried to take at midnight. I usally love mornings!

now I'm not see if it's the thyroid or the low dose a prednisone I'm at now.

but never thought I could take a partial pill. Cool I'll try that! 

Also, I looked again about hypoglycemia and Hoshimoto's and yes, there is a link! ALL these years I've struggled and wondered why. 

What a great day for me! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.