Do we have it all backwards?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Found some interesting theories....actually they are more than just theories... as to what acid reflux really is and how the way some folks are treating it may not be the right approach for them.

What they claim is this. Some of us do not produce enough  acid to meet the needs of our stomach at meal time. This leads to the valve that sits at the bottom of the esophagus thinking it can relax and reopen. When that happens acid can go back up the pipe and cause the burning some folks experience. Using PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) to reduce the production of stomach acid is the exact opposite of what these people need. It is only compopunding the problem of not enough acid to properly digest the food.

Taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (the non-pasturized or raw, unfiltered version... $4/quart at the store) before a meal might be an answer. Apple cider vinegar mimmics the bodies own stomach acid and acts to boost what's there.

I've started doing this as of last night. I do not have reflux but I do (see my recent post) have, if I eat certain high-fat foods, severe digestion issues that are, as far as I'm concerned, still undiagnosed.

I drink it down mixed in some water. No big deal.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello there...Spot on with low not high ...some say as many as 90% would have low and 10% would have high

If one has reflux and takes apple cider vinegar w/m

and it goes then it's a good sign it may be low ...or can indicate ulcer maybe

Reason it helps with acid reflux for some is because it's alkaline forming once digested and full of nutrients etc

Some may even have low...take it to try and see and feel worse...not necessarily because they don't have low but because they are intolerant to vinegar lol....like I was🙈

Now if one finds acv helps it's best to eat 80/20 bant diet to even out ph level, as long term that is the only way

Lemon juice/water is another one that makes one more alkaline ...but again only a quick fix

Also bare in mind reflux can be from food intolerances

High fat - good fats or bad ?

Do you have a gallbladder ?

😊☺😊☺

• Posted

"...Spot on with low not high ...some say as many as 90% would have low and 10% would have high"

If this is true you wonder why the GI docs or even the GP's do not offer a simple test for stomach PH? Would answer a lot of questions and save a lot of $$ from the start if we knew which direction to go.

• Posted

If this is true you wonder why the GI docs or even the GP's do not offer a simple test for stomach PH?

Docs don't understand the word simple at all when it comes to digestion ...trust me 😳I don't wonder everything any more 😡

Would answer a lot of questions and save a lot of $$ from the start if we knew which direction to go.... unfortunately sickness makes the world go round 😩

I will pm youx

• Posted

Alot of 🏥tests are far from accurate 😳

And that's even if they offer one them 😷

• Posted

From the Down With Acid book about the Heidelberg Test:

"To test for hypochlorhydria or hyperchlorhydria (too little or too much acid), the Heidelberg Test uses a capsule containing a pH meter that is swallowed.

The capsule is usually tethered by a thread so it may be held in the stomach while you are fed sodium bicarbonate to see how quickly the stomach produces acid to compensate.

The test capsule can also help determine the effectiveness of the pyloric sphincter and peristalsis and diagnose gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) and dumping syndrome (rapid stomach emptying).

A similar test using an untethered capsule can be used to record acidity in the duodenum and intestines generally.

This is not the same as the camera capsule that may be swallowed to examine the whole gastrointestinal tract nor the tethered camera capsule that may be used to visually examine the oesophagus."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.