Does anyone get constant rapid pulse/ heart beat with costochondritis

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi, I have not been diagnosed with costochondritis, just after to speaking to wonderful people on this forum I believe I may have the condition as I have alot of the symptoms and sore breast bone / ribs, but I'm wondering if anyone one has rapid pulse /heart rate alot! And my pain which was once on the left side chest /arm can now be felt alot if the time on the right side, thanks for taking the time to read this, x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I still have pain in my chest and rubs and it's still tender to the touch. I wake up at night and my heart beats very fast. Not sure if that's because of my anxiety medicine or what causes it. I also have and clavicle pain. And everything gets worse with stress. I hope everyone is doing better.

• Posted

Hi Kim, I'm sorry to hear your not feeling the pain hope it passes soon, mine took around 10wks to start feeling better, xxx

• Posted

I think I would probably be ok if I was able to take anti inflammatory medicine but the doctor's think I have an ulcer so I havent been taking that. I'm very happy you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with costo, about 3 months ago. It started more like 6 months ago, and as I hate going to the doctor it took a while for me to be in enough pain to actually go. At first it was just small painful twinges in the left side of my chest or breastbone. They would stop when I was up moving around and then sneak attack me as I fell asleep. Then the pain started radiating into my left shoulder, and down my left arm, and the pain in the center of my chest became sharper. I spent several nights wide awake, afraid if I went to sleep I simply wouldn’t wake up. My hubby finally talked me into just seeing a doc, so I went but she told me it was most likely acid reflux (after doing blood work and ekg) and she put me on two weeks worth of omeprazole and ranitidine. It actually seemed to help for several days, but then the pain crept back in and I was back at a different doc before my meds even ran out. This one said it was costo. I was put on naproxen for two weeks. Relief! Finally! But it only lasted about a week after the naproxen ran out and I don’t like taking meds much more than I like seeing docs, so I chose not to refill or get another prescription. The pain wasn’t too bad for a short time after that- I was able to sleep and I realized I’d been making it worse by sleeping on my stomach with my left arm up under my pillow beneath my head, so I stopped that and it made a big difference. Then suddenly the night before Thanksgiving, I went to bed and my heart started racing and the breastbone pain was back. I nearly went to the ER, but I’m great at talking myself out of things, so I convinced myself it was due to too much caffeine (it probably was). Things settled down for a couple weeks, mild pain here and there, but then one night my heart started pounding- without racing- and the radiating pain was back, from my breastbone across the left of my chest and down my arm. It’s just gotten worse since then, heart pounds for a while every day and the pain has now spread to some of the right side of my chest as well. I’m beginning to learn that thinking about it and worrying only makes it worse, but it’s so hard NOT to worry. My husband has been great, he gets me calm and talks me through it rationally until I know I’m ok, just hurting. But here I am, 32 years old, with two young kids who wake up at 6 every morning, and I can barely get out of bed because I’ve been up half the night in pain or with my heart pounding. The doctor had said that costo usually “resolves” within weeks...generally 8 at the most. Yet every real experience I’ve read about it, it goes on for months or years. I’m new to it, but I have so much sympathy for everyone who has been dealing with it for longer than I have. It’s such an exhausting head game as well as painful. 

• Posted

You're right it is exhausting. I hope we all feel better soon.

• Posted

I feel your pain I ve been dealing with this for over a yr and they put me on heart meds I think this is something that we re going to have to learn to live with and enjoy the days to the fullest when we do have energy. I ve been off work since Aug 30 and have just been feeling my best in the last couple weeks but had a flare up last night so hopefully it will calm back down.
    • Posted

Donna,

Did they do any tests on your heart? Ekg, CT scan, x-ray, stress test?

• Posted

I've had blood work, chest x-rays, mri, stress test, ekg, halter monitor, referred to a rheumatologist which said I shouldn't have this still if it's Costochondritis

• Posted

My daughter has Tietze's.  When she is in extreme pain, she feels her heart miss a beat and on one occasion ended up in A & E. She has also had ECGs. 

Her heart does miss a beat, but always has.  She was told that due to the pain that she is in, she is more likely to notice anything that is happening in her chest, and therefore is only now noticing the missing beat

• Posted

Yes I do. I also was diagnosed with Fibro Myalgia and inappropriate sinus taccacardia. None of which are life threatening. But Has your daughter gone to a cardiologist? I have one now and Im on beta blockers to help the extra beats or high heart rate. They really help. Good luck. It will be ok  smile

• Posted

Good evening. I am so thankful to have found this thread. After 5 ER trips and a 3 day stay at a local hospital my primary doc diagnosed me with Costal. Its been 2 weeks yesterday and I still feel the same. My heart feels like its racing at times even though at the hospitals it never went over 106 at the highest and they say it is not racing but i can feel it pounding alot of the times. I wake up in the middle of the night with what feels like a racimg heart. I can feel it in my chest and sometimes even in my arm. This is the scariest thing i have ever been through medically. My pain is in the middle of my chest like a burning sharp stabbing pain and sometimes in my left breast also. I have had every test ran possible to rule out any heart issues at the ER but I feel like i should follow up with a Cardiologist. I am at a loss for how to make this stop cause it has taken over my life with non stop worry. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi, I felt every thing you said for up to 10 weeks last time, I thought I was going to die! But it all disappeared out of the blue for a couple of months so I pulled myself together told myself it must of been costochondritis, then out of the blue 6 week ago it all came back plus the anxiety, mine more as I only really feel a very mild pain more of weird feeling so I'm convinced it's my heart, but then I think if it was my heart how image still alive, it's so worrying and stressful, but my doctor'S! think it's costochondritis

• Posted

I’m also convinced it’s my hart although I’ve had numerous ecg s angiogram and blood tests I have a resting heart rate of around 60 as low as 50 when sleeeping. But as soon as I walk anywhere it can go as high as 170 . They put me on beta blockers but they only lowered my heart to low and dropped my blood pressure. I do have Costochondritis but surely it can’t cause this. It’s vey scary 
  • Posted

Yes i do i can see it jumping on my wrist my propandol slows it down only bad thing about that tho I can't take naproxen when ave already took propandol.. I started doing strechs twisting left to right 10 times on each side works for me try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.