Doxycycline has ruined my life!

Posted , 68 users are following.

Hi all. I started a 2 week cycle of doxy for a tick bite - no other symptoms just had a tick in my leg. I was put on 100mg x 2 daily for 2 weeks. 4 days in I thought I was going to pass out and I called the pharmacy and they said to stick on it. I made it to day 8. Since then I’ve had sever heartburn, chicest and back pain, burning in throat and now diarrhea. )sorry, gross) anyway went to my pcp and 2 GI docs. I was put on a prescription Prilosec ( that caused the toilet issues I think) and probiotics (which I already taken previously) and have had blood work, given samples (fun) and had an endoscopy last week. ( Heaven forbid they call me with results of the biopsies ) anyway all blood stool and various other tests were ok. I was told take magnesium ( more toilet issues) and otc antacids vs the stronger ex versions.  Anybody else going through this kind of mess from that devil drug doxycycline ? I’m a wreck and feel like this will never end. I should have yanked the tick and moved on with my life - but noooo I go to a clinic and get prescribed the antibiotic formulated by Satan  himself !

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

omg me too i was prescribed doxycycline on the 3rd of this month i was also prescribed some other medicine too for an uti ok this the crazy part about it i took 4 pills back to back 2 uti pills and 2 doxy i didnt know to wait 12 hours apart (thats why u need to read and pay attention) ok and plus i never been prescribed pills before ok but anyways its crazy how i took 4 pills back to back i had no problems but the days after that actually doing the right thing or whatever i felt sick every day all through the day and night i only felt better when i gagged i cant even vomit. im tired im not taking any pills today im going to get evaluated again and see if they will take me off or find some better or sum

• Posted

That combination would make anyone ill. You must always get full instructions and follow them, right? right.

• Posted

I work at a pharmacy and we fill a lot of prescriptions for doxycycline everyday. Many people tolerate it just fine. It's just like any other drug, some people will have unpleasant reactions to it. Doxycycline always should be taken with food to avoid stomach upset. If side effects are more than you can deal with than definitely ask to be switched to a different antibiotic. I'm so sorry you all have had such bad experiences with this drug. I was able to take it my whole life with no problems until a few weeks ago it gave me hives, blisters on my finger tips and itchy lips.

• Posted

yup same it gave me allergies, rashes and hives. u originally took it in Nov 2021. broke out with allergies like a rash. now i still have a side effect. i have rashes and hives now bc of it especially if i eat or take a med thats no good i will break out scary

• Posted

You must have learned that the development of hives and blisters was likely a medical emergency, and an extreme reaction, most probably due to long-term use. "Working in a pharmacy," does not give you the expertise needed.

• Posted

i was on a 7 day regimen that ended 6 days ago. i am still having severe pain in my lower GI tract, heart burn, and the constant gross taste of this drug in my mouth and throat.

Can anyone tell me how long I should expect this to last?

• Posted

The post was 5 months ago, but you do not say what other medications you were on, nor what health conditions you have, nor whether you followed directions to the letter.

• Posted

hi i was prescribed doxycycline when i went into the er for an injury to my foot. the doctor there said it wasn't infected but prescribed me it to prevent infection. I started the treatment the next day. my family and I went grocery shopping and after loading the car I started getting heart palpitations. so I stopped the treatment and the palpitations stopped. I was wondering what was going on so I turned to the internet turns out its one of the side effects. so today I'm headed back to the er for new antibiotics because my wound seems slightly infected now. just wanted to share my experience.

• Posted

Why you were prescribed doxycycline for an uninfected foot is beyond me. The palpitations were more likely an anxiety reaction. An internet search for "palpitations" alone will give a thousand causes.

• Posted

everyone stay away from this drug. it gave me allergies, rashes and hives. i originally took it in Nov 2021. broke out with allergies like a rash. also felt like needles poking me. didnt think much of it. went to my pcp, dr gave me an allegra to fight the allergies, wasnt too worried, didnt think much of it like i said. now i still have this side effect bc of this doxy garbage. i have rashes and hives now bc of it especially if i eat or take a med that's no good for me then i will break out, very scary. basically this medication made me have allergies especially hives n rashes smh

• Edited

Subset of your symptoms could be attributed to the tablet sticking in your throat. It will burn very badly if you don't have enough water. I had this.

• Posted

Im a military retired medic doctors today for the most part at least here in Canada don't know what proper health care really is unless they're in the older generation. everyone's body reacts differently and whom ever told you to continue was just plain an idiot...severe reactions should be automatically discontinued until further examination completed and other medicines that are safer tried....you have my support...hang in...

• Posted

I also have the same issue with doxycycline. I need to switch antibiotic. Can you pls tell me what antibiotic they prescribed you for Lyme in replace of doxycycline? pls help. thanks.

• Posted

hi, i was given doxy for a chest infection and only took 4 days started getting dark pee and slight yellow eyes, went back to doctor and given a different antibiotic and told to go for a blood test, now im worried sick its caused damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.