Early waking, anyone else have this?

Posted , 14 users are following.

For the past 4 months, I am wide wake at 3:30am without any alarm. I've always been a good sleeper, sleeping until 8am. Now that the time went forward, I wake at 4:30, which is a bit better, but I miss waking at a normal hour. I fall asleep just fine, but wake ready to go way too early. Up until recently, I was waking several times a night. Anyone else have this?

3 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes me too, around 3 or 4. Often its because I have an uncomfortable stomach - feels gurgly and bloated, which I don't understand as it feels fine when I go to bed, and I try to eat lightly in the evening and never after 7. But I also have trouble falling asleep, and wake 3 to 4 times through the night to go to the bathroom as well. I'm permanently exhausted!
  • Posted

Hi Snowbell,

I've had 10 years of it and sick and so fed up with it now.

I rarely sleep until 4 am these days and so tired.

It started with waking at 3 or 4 and being unable to get back to sleep, in the early days of it I saw it as a bit of a bonus, some extra 'me' time.

After a while it just leaves you tired all the time and these days I have days where I just sleep in until midday or more.

First 8 days on estrogen sleep was perfect just like in my 30s is a pity it didn't last.

• Posted

Zigangie, oh my goodness, I cant image going thru this for 10 years! If you don't mind me asking, what age did this start for you?
    • Posted

I was 43 when I first had an odd night here and there where I could not get to sleep.

I just used to stay up and carry on then and sleep ok the following night.

It got a bit better for a few months and then started sleep about midnight awake by 3 continued to be one or the other and spent days being unable to sleep, after a while it just wears you out.

Doctors said I was suffering from depression maybe 6 months before I got depressed, but I feel the lack of sleep more likely caused the depression.

I've always loved sleeping and prior to peri I would read to my daughter, lay on her bed for a cuddle, fall asleep there with her 830 PM, get woken by my husband at 11 clean teeth have a wash and get into my own bed and be asleep by midnight and sleep until 730 next morning.

Now if anything wakes me, a dream a cat wailing whatever I cannot get back to sleep.

I can feel sick where I'm so tired if I have been up all one night, get into bed by 9 the following night and still not sleep until 4 to 6 am the following morning.

I'm 100% sure it's hormone related as the first 8 nights on estrogen I was tired by 1130, asleep by midnight and woke with a start 815 every morning.

That is the longest run of 8 hour sleeps I've had in 10 years.

• Posted

I can totally relate to the slightest thing waking me and not being able to get back to sleep. I sure hope we can find some relief soon. This is the pits!
  • Posted

Yes you just described me this has been going on for the past 5-6 months then I get really exhausted during the day
    • Posted

You are right about the exhaustion being miserable. If I try to nap during the day, I may doze off 15-30 minutes at the most then I'm jolted out of my sleep. It's crazy.
    • Posted

The jolts are crazy. Then I can't go back to sleep. It's like someone or something woke me up. It's really disturbing.
    • Posted

It sure is. Im so sick of these raunchy symptoms. I want to feel good again. Im so tired and I won't even bore you with how tiring this shortness of breath is. I feel like I'm dying sad
    • Posted

All these symptoms are tiring. The shortness of breath immediately makes me have a panic attack.
    • Posted

Im almost in panic mode. It hasn't lifted and it feels awful. Im going to try to lie down and see if I can fall asleep sad
  • Posted

im prowling around the house around 3.30 to 4.30 am

i start the washing machne, brush teeth, wash face, eat something solid

then try to sleep again till 6 or sometimes 7.30 am

• Posted

I am so sorry you're going through this. I really hope we can find some answers soon
    • Posted

Thank you. I hope so too, snowbell

in our area i finally met a lady who acknowledged this hormon disbalance stuff

she said one in thousand go through it in our country

one in seven in the western countries

her severe symptoms lasted 3 years

• Posted

I'm up now almost 5 am no sleep so far and I'm really getting too old these days to keep doing all nighters.

So tired next day and like you say trying for a nap it's like someone has poked you in your ribs 10 or 15 minutes later, either that or I get vivid dreams that wake me.

I don't know what to do but I'm sick of it. Tried magnesium again before bed no help.

• Posted

Good morning ladies!

Unfortunately, I too have been reading your desperate posts during the night...it's like being part of a club you'd really rather not be part of!

In spite of falling asleep exhausted by 11...was awake by 2.30...tried to cuddle down to doze, then both awake by 4...5...6...making coffee at 6.30!

Don't feel too bad this am, tired, always tired, but at least that debilitating heavy fuzzy head feeling over eyes isn't present this am.

Woke at 4 with it yesterday and couldn't shift it...

Said to my husband that perhaps should write a food diary to see if I'm allergic to a food type?

Putting the tiredness aside, I sometimes wake, at whatever time, with this heavy headache over eyes, could be lack of sleep but then most nights are similar...so why some mornings and others I'm clear headed? It goes without saying that we're all tired!!!

Could it be something I'm eating before bed or for dinner?

The 5htp doesn't seem to be helping my quality of sleep either!

How was the l-thiamine?

Has anyone tired Chinese medicine?

Walked past a Chinese herbalist yesterday and she mentioned a "blockage" in my system...massage, acupuncture and teas!

Heard the teas are too disgusting to drink?

Any views or experience?

Trouble is this insomnia is chronic and really needs a whole change of thinking, I believe...

Chat later jx

• Posted

It's 5am here where I am and I'm up. Time changed last week so it's really 4am. Which is my usual wake up time. Of course I had a crazy vivid dream as ususal and woke up shaky. Which is usually how I wake up.
    • Posted

Janeben, Im up its 3am, woke with horrible shaking, anxiety/hypoglycemia type feeling. I dont think the L-theanine helped, but its only been 1 night and im coming off my period, which swems to make me feel horrible anyways. Im not sure why that is?

I've heard the theory in Chinese medicine about being congested or clogged up. If I had the extra cash, I would give it a try. Im so desperate for these symptoms to go away.

• Posted

Jamie, the shaking woke me out of my sleep. Im so shaky right now, im not sure how I am typing this. Im on day 5 of my cycle and nearing the end, which brings on the worst anxiety and other odd symptoms. Im so scared that im ready to rush to the ER, but know they wont find anything wrong and just give me Xanax.

Each time my cycle comes, I am getting horrible pain in my left lower rib area on my back. Don't know what that is, but its so painful right now. Im ready to cry from the pain and the fear I am experiencing sad

• Posted

It's hormones. I had the same thing happen the day before my period started. It was scary. I wanted to go to the ER. My mom told me to calm down because they weren't going to find anything as usual. It took a while but I eventually settled down. I shook and trembled for a long while after though. It can be downright scary. Now that I'm off my period, I'm back to the doom and gloom and vivid scary dreams. I been up most of the night scared and looking crazy while everyone else was asleep.
    • Posted

Jamie, thank you so much for your reassurance. I cant stop bawling and shaking. My stomach has turned and throwing up the water and OJ I had. This is so frightening, I truly feel like I have morning sickness, severe anxiety and crippling fear at the same time. I pray this calms down quick.
    • Posted

It's hormones and your cycle. It may take a while but it will calm down. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's a miserable and scary feeling.
    • Posted

Jamie and all of you ladies. I cant thank you enough for holding my hand thru this. As you all know how frightening this can be. Lots of love xx
    • Posted

Hi janeben,

I really think I have exhausted all options.

I haven't tried Chinese medicine. Thought about it, but homeopath was sure she could sort out and all these things cost money.

Just getting cross with a male friend telling me it's a habit!

I keep pulling all nighters but even after that I still sleep 2 hours and wake again.

Had nothing on today and I have slept most of the day. I'm worn out and even then the sleep is fit full waking every couple of hours. I was still up 6 am but beginning to feel ill because I was so tired.

I don't think there is anything more depressing than being up for 24 hours and then only being able to sleep for 2.

On the plus side I feel spoilt my husband is preparing a lovely meal for us tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.