ECG! 2 QUICK QUESTIONS?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had 2 ecgs now and any amouts of physical examinations by various doctors at my GP all said I'm fine QUESTION 1. can they tell if any thing is seriously wrong by an ECG? Sounds daft I know but I have got the got really bad health anxiety over my heart and fixated on my breathing etc.

QUESTION 2 is I've been thinking about sound running and exercise for sometime but wary about doing it because of shortness of breath everyday tight chest and fear of dropping down dead while I'm doing it a know sounds daft again but do use think I should conquer my fears and go for it? My doctor thinks it will help me feel better doing exercise, All replys gratefull thankyou been posting on here a lot lately just for reassurance🙂

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have really bad health anxiety at the moment which I never get a break from and got obsessed with my heart at one point but have moved on to another area of my body now.

If it helps at all (even just a little) I went to a&e twice thinking I was having a heart attack as i didn't know what a panic attack felt like and have had countless ECGs, chest X-ray and a blood test on my heart and they said my hearts in really good health and I just kept telling myself well, if I was going to have a heart attack it would of happened by now. I just wish I could tell myself that with the new area of my body I'm obsessed with but yeah sad the heart palpitations don't scare me anymore, though I do have panic attacks now and again like yesterday and it scared me a lil but all you can do is tell keep telling yourself in that moment, "it's just a panic attack, your fine, your ok". Try and bring in the logical side of your kind. There's my 2 cents.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Emma it's awful isn't it having bad health anxiety I've obsessed over my heart and my breathing for nearly 8 months now day in day out its mentally and physically exhausting, I've been told by various docs at my GPS if something was going to happen it would of happend by now and yeah they are scary the palps like the o my way I can describe it like my heard has been replaced by a butterfly fluttery in my chest awful to sit through again thanks for your reply and advice🙂

• Posted

It is. It's amazing what physicial symptoms it can give us. It's funny how we recognise it's health anxiety but still obsess over the issue. It is deffo exhausting so true.

Your GPs are right though I full well know that's it's not always easy to trust what they say as we tend to hear stories in the news that doctors have missed this and that. I don't trust any doctor so that helps .... Not!

I remember I had pain in my ribs and in my shoulder blade, classic heart attack symptoms. I was on the floor doubled in pain. Felt like a brick was on my chest. In the end Anxiety. Shocking!

It takes practise but it's all about bringing the logical mind in and lowering the stupid voice of anxiety.

• Posted

I stand by your GPs advice, He is a very wise man, you have had two ECGs and you have also been progged and pocked, if there was something strange or life threatening they would not tell you to go running. Give it a bash you might like it and forget about your Anxiety.

Good Luck

B. 

• Posted

Yeah I think I will give it a bash B, Thanks for your advice as always🙂

• Posted

Hi luke08690 i wish you well in you recovery you will get there. With the shortness of breath i believe that with health anxiety its kind of like a thought problem. Now i no meds dont suit everone and in my experience you say your on mirtzapine that should hopefully help you sleep a bit i no its hard when your thoughts take over but i spoke to a top psychiatrist and he said we must challenge our thoughts for things to inprove i also spoke to a another psychiatrist and he reassured me that you cant die from a panic attack now i no thats easy for them to say they dont know what its like but there are alternatives that i see a few people have put up and that is exercise if you connect with your breathing exercise can really be affective no i know you may be into living a healthy lifestyle i found that there are 2 things that can cause shorness of breath for me it was garlic capsules were really bad i noticed quite quick it had a effect on my breathing now i know everone is different but i dont know if you try all these supplements. Vitamin E that can have a bad reacttion with me also the cholesterol lowering spreads i thought my heart was going to stop. I would say if none of that applys to you then exercise relaxation and its like we have to try to forget about this issue that is troubling you i feel for you luke i went through a lot and couldnt breath at night for a while but believe me have faith in yourself it will not be for ever i can say alot more but ive said quite a bit sorry i cant stand when someone like yourself is in destress. I started to suffer really bad anxiety about two weeks back it come flooding back then i told myself i dont have a heart problem i had a ecg two months ago for tests the doctors were running on me. I kept it short and to the point when my thoughts and anxiety started to take over i simply got very angry with myself and my mind was working overtime but my belief was that it will pass and i started to feel better after a few minutes its about getting confidence in our body. Sorry luke if ive gone on. Some meds out there can help but sometimes you need to be on a high dose for them to have any effect which needs to be monitored by a psychiatrist. I hope you can get your belief and confidence back which will help you through this
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Leigh21505, Yeah it's awful this breathing thing that is going on I notice it everyday I've had it for 8 month now since my first panic attacks I've had every physical symptom under the sun anyway the doctor has listend to my lungs and heart and said all sound fine etc and had 2 ecgs done a blood tests so do you think I should go for it with the running thing? Even though I have the shortness of breath and tight chest everyday that's the thing that worries me that I won't get enough air or something when I'm running and collapse as mad as it sounds, No your not going on I appreciate your reply and advice I drink nine smoothie a day lacked full of fruit and just have the one meal a day and a snack or 2 and I'm taking magnesium tablets because I've heard they help with the fluttering heart thing,I hope I get through this To I can't live like this any longer everyday I feel is one big battle to get through anyway thanks for your reply hope you are well and feeling better🙂

• Posted

Hi luke sorry to reply so soon its just i feel you pain i would say start off walking for a while moments of going into a jogging kind of pace but back to walking again if you feel you need to back off again. This IS ABOUT finding your own energy again. What feels right and try to be a bit critical with establishing whats not working. How long you been on 9 smoothies for? Sorry to ask obviously fruit is good but did you no that fat is so important to restoring health when our energys become how can i put it out of a line.I would say yes try the joging thing thing you may only be able to do a bit. But with detimination will of spirt and getting that belief back in you again. I would ease up a bit on the smoothies as that can have a bit of a effect on you. You may feel im wrong but in my 20 years of all this i have experimenting with my body i found my energy again its about getting this spark back that you lost with what youve been through. This is where it can get a little deep. Try to do a bit of the walking thing with trying to jog a bit you may need to patient with yourself let steps before we can run again i hope you post something up i would love to hear that you recovering through this obvious tough time.
    • Posted

Hi Leigh21505, its okay don't worry I appreciate your replys short or long I've been walking for around a month and a half now going for 2 walks a day about 45 minutes and I started jogging for around 2 3 minutes during my walks yesterday so I am going to build myself back up again and in didn't meen to put nine there lol it's the spell checker thing, I drink 1 smoothies a day packed full of fruit 2 bananas 1 apple 3 small oranges strawberrys( if I can get them) peach, grapes you name it I put it in fruit wise, Like I said it's just this shortness of breath everyday I get and Chest tightness that worries about doing jogging if you get me but I'm just going to build myself back up I've been givin the all clear now of 2 ecgs so nothing's wrong there and had countless of physicals by different docs at my GPS so all must be well, it must be anxiety causing all this which eases my mind a little, again thanks for your reply🙂

• Posted

I was going to say luke08690 i thought when you said you drink 9 smoothies a day i was thinking wow. Lol im glad your doing really well with the walking and jogging.you are building yourself up again time and patience and a bit of suttleness life changed when i didnt try to hard I wish i could tell my story but sadly i cant. I wish you well luke08690.
    • Posted

Nooooo id be bouncing of the walls if I was lol.Thanks and why coudnt you keep tying if you don't mind me asking? Do you do any activities or hobbies?

• Posted

Sorry lol i didnt write that very well. What i meant to write was it was when i didnt try too hard things seemed to go my way now i was still exercising and stuff but i would have 2 mars bars if i wanted i would walk for 10 to 15 minutes taking in the energy from the mars bars and then i would start to jog when i felt the benefit of the energy and do you no sometimes not always but sometimes it would be have a fantastic jog. Now i no some people dont like chocolate or think it may be bad for you but my argument is how can that feeling i had be wrong. Now i dont eat much chocolate but i still have activities i used to be a keen cyclist i cycled from littlehampton to london in under 4 hours now i was never tour de france material but i loved it. There was a time i couldnt do that i thought i would never exercise again but with patience and will i began to exercise again. Im sorry if i go into detail about things.
    • Posted

Ahhhhh okayy I get you now well I say whatever works for you in my opinion you should go ahead and still do it🙂I've been going for 2 45 mind walks then having a jog for around about 5 mind each time I go for a walk I only started it yesterday like but been really scared with the heart flutters and shortness of breath every day etc, You mentioned cycling there to I used to live cycling but lost my passion for it before all this started I used to cycle a lot go everywhere on my bike. Don't be silly go into as much detail as you like🙂

• Posted

Thank you luke08690 i wont go into too much detail but i did burn myself out it was soo bad in the end i couldnt jog ten meters i used all my reserve energy in my body and worked myself into the ground at work I wont say much more then that it got worse for me. But over time i recovered i wasnt as strong as i once was but i still loved it getting about. Now i suffered a anxiety about 3 weeks ago my heart fluttering and racing my brain racing i honestly thought its back but i did realise it was my brain causing this and i started to karm down. Im sorry if my story goes off a bit im seeing a health professional soon and lets just say sleeping is not great at the minute.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.