Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow theres soo many of us. Didnt read all of them but doesn't seems like any answers fit. For me it's usually triggered when ive been working too much, not sleeping enough or being rather indulgent. Ive been getting it for 8 years now but never really got it checked out. Theyd probably just say its anxiety. I get most of thr symptoms, huge surges of electric energy zapping me from my head than down to the toes if its heavy. It can also come in waves one after another. It feels like it wont stop unless i bring my fu attention to my surroundings. Ears ring a bit to. I get a similar one while sleeping but it's like that sensation u get while falling asleep but it's 20 times stronger like a train is slamming u down. I have to sit up to make it stop or it'll just keep happening. Im curious to what would happened if I just rolled with it but it freaks me out a little and i cant go far. Also sometimes i will wake up and be trapped in my body but can only move my eyes but everything is distorted. Lil shakey like? It'll only last about 10 seconds and slowly am able to move but im usually on the inside frantically trying to move. (doc days ive woken up but my body hasn't gotten the memo yet. Also sleep walking. Thid happens the least. But super embarrassing when u come too after u just walked to the laundry room throw what ur wearing into the laundry basket and go lie down in someone elses bed and they just happen to see lmao ugh. All this only seems to happen when im pushing my body to the limits... Apart from when it happens I don't notice any abnormal and cycles last 1-3 weeks or so than i can go for 6 months with nothing.

Anyone else got idea? And sorry if i missed a good one but there are over 300 comments lol

Thx for sharing guys nice to hear similar stories.

• Posted

I think u should read the whole 300 comments. Check my last one. Check for Lyme and mold sickness aka CIRS. Good luck!

• Posted

im 51 have had these attacks since i was 18 my therapist thinks its pnes disease see a nerologist

• Posted

I have a question for most of you. any of you taken an antibiotic called ciprofloxacin or any fluorquinolone related antibiotic? I had an extreme reaction to the cipro and now am recovering slowly but suffer most of your symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi I'm glad I found this website. I was trying to figure out how I was going to explain this to people that I know. I'm so grateful so it's been happening to me now about 6 weeks it's always when I'm just about to fall asleep I feel like I just get smacked in the face really bad and then I have a headache I do have high anxiety and stress I do have high blood pressure and I do smoke a lot it would be nice if they made a pill you could take for it cuz I don't like what I'm experiencing tonight is happened 4 times and that suffer so usually is just one time of night last night and tonight I woke up so heavy anxiety that I got up and smoked and it's late and I can't get no sleep and I read a post where someone said it scares them so much they cry and I and not look forward to going to sleep and I feel the same way I'm going to stay in touch with this for a while I appreciate everybody's comments if anybody does find out the answer to a magic pill please post it thank you.

• Posted

I also have exactly the same symptoms described over and over here. It's very frustrating that so many people suffer from this and there appears to be no medical solution!  My experience differs only in that before this started happening, I was experiencing restless leg syndrome for a couple of weeks. It's almost as if this has replaced that, it is so similar. Instead of the jolt to the leg, it's its to my chest. Same timing, every 30 seconds or so as I near sleep. I suffered from a few panic attacks years ago, and they are horrible. These are like little mini-panic attacks, but I don't think my heart rate or breathing goes up. Just an uncomfortable rush.  I am also starting to dread bedtime. this is horrible. I think I finally just pass out after it happens for an hour or so. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow and if I learn anything I will post it here. 

• Posted

Crazy! I developed shingles a few weeks ago. While on the medicine I didn’t have any episodes. All nerve related. I’ve tried very supplement and still no cure. Some nights worse then others but with the valtrex I gently went off to sleep each night until it was done. So tired of this problem. Coming on 3 years now. I hate going to sleep. 
  • Posted

Hey guys even I'm going through the same things...all I wanted to know is that...anyone feeling dizzy and light-headed during day time?

• Posted

Yes, and a week ago I found out I had a raging fungal infection in my ear and sinuses. I was starting to have dizzy spells and also waves of blurred vision. When I think of fungal I can only assume candida.  First things first; getting this infection eradicated. Next I need to do a good candida cleanse and keep away from all that feeds it. I'm thinking Diflucan. I think it's highly likely the problem started in my gut then started going system wide.  My electric shocks returned when I started eating sweets, dairy and drinking with my friends.  Those are all things that feed candida.

• Posted

U r on the right track. Stau away from mold too. Check CIRS... Shoemaker...good luck
    • Posted

Chronically inflammatory response syndrome....just google CIRS and Shoemaker. Don't take any pharmaceutycal antifungals. Check Shoemaker's Protocol. Good luck

• Posted

Hi gd10 hope you are much better now its a 4 year old post, 

Iam 32 male love in london , i have the same symptoms it was there when i try fall asleep or wake up i shake from it was on my body now i get it on my head and face aswell as whole body and frequency has been more its been over a year i het these , gone throw alot of mri car scans blood works urine tests nothing has come out , just wondering how you geting on and have you got to the bottom of this please if you do see this messages get in contact here or email me i need help 😓😓 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hey guys, Lyme disease/co infections can and will mimic or cause anything. I went thru a plethora of symtoms, at least 100. All my test were negative as well. Cat scans, seizure test, mris, blood, urine, ECT. In order to be tested right u must find a Dr who spealises in it ..a Dr who test ur Elisa or western blot only is the wrong Dr to be at for this, trust me. I went thru a yr of symtoms undiagnosed and they said I needed 'a crazy dr' all cuz they tested me wrong for lyme. Turned out I had rocky mountain spotted fever. Over my yr and a half of goin thru this I've learned that most everyone if not everyone has some sort of microbe of Lyme. There r 8/9 types of herpes. Herpes 4 (EBV) 95% of ppl buy the age of 40 has it. And this is a piece of Lyme co infection. Just using that as one example. Good luck everyone!

• Posted

I was checked for lime and I've never had any symptoms of herpes. Is there a version that is non-symptomatic - ever?

• Posted

Yeah were u checked correctly for Lyme and its co infections like I mentioned? And herpes 4 EBV has nothing to do with the herpes ur thinking of.. Chicken pox is one of the 8 herpes as well. I was just using EBV ..(Epstein Barr virus) as an example to explain how most ppl if not everyone have Lyme and just don't know it. Also, even when tested correctly for Lyme and its co infections not everyone will test positive. If u had it for yrs it might not show on test, meanin its like deep in ur tissues and laying dormant per say.. If ur testing negative for eveything else its a good sign of Lyme positive and the natural route of healing it is the best way to go. A great natural way is Dr rawls protocol .. It boost ur immune system which u need to fight off any kind of infection of course. Along with a good probiotic 80-90% of ur immune system begins in the gut.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.