Everyday dizziness while walking, standing and feeling unbalanced on my feet.

Posted , 99 users are following.

I have dizziness everyday while walking, standing as well as feeling off balance, unsteady on my feet like I am gonna fall over. I have had my ears checked by an ENT doctor in 2014 and he said I had menieres disease so he treated it as that but medicine didn't help so went to another ENT doctor in 2015 who said I don't have menieres disease but have hearing loss in both ears and did a test on my vestibular function which he said was normal so he referred me to a neurologist and I went and had an MRI done which was normal as well. I have had blood work done in November last year and my white blood count was a little high but not concerning and everything else was normal....no diabetes. Also had a stress test done on heart and was normal. I am at my wits end with this cause I don't know what's going on. I plan to see an eye doctor soon. Oh and I was diagnosed with anxiety 4 months ago but this dizziness and off balance feeling has been going on for 2 years now. I am on blood pressure medicine too. don't know what else to do. Does anyone have these same symptons ?

6 likes, 224 replies

224 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I suggest going to a balance clinic. My ENT dismissed my dizziness as nothing and allowed me months of mystery. My balance clinic validated my dizziness and helped me get back on my feet. 
    • Posted

Thanks Mary I didn't think about that. My ENT doctor told me my dizziness wasn't related to my ear but sometimes I want to get another opinion . I just don't know what to do anymore.
    • Posted

The balance tests they did showed it was definitely a vestibular issue. My physical therapy and hearing aids made a big difference. I have small bouts of dizziness but nothing like what I experiences before. 
    • Posted

My physical therapist could tell by different activities and exercises that my loss of hearing in my left ear was affecting my balance. Time spent in what I call "the box"  in a harness helped me learn how to compensate and regain my equilibrium much faster as time went on. Plus the exercises I do daily throughout the day pushed me beyond my comfort zone and forced me to push past the first feelings of nausea and dizziness.  My brain learned to adapt. 
    • Posted

Well hello there. Having hearing loss is something I never would think would be causing dizziness. I have hearing loss in both my ears with one ear being worse than the other. I also have tinnitus too. I am glad you are doing better. Did the ENT Dr u went to test your vestibular function ?
    • Posted

where was that balance clinic plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
  • Posted

Hi Michele

I have exactly the same feeling been having it since 5th December 2015.

I have a neurologist appointment on 29th Feb

It's awful and is costing me my career. I am a hairdresser I can't stand to do my work or anything.

Keep pushing for referrals that's what I've been doing. Don't give up. It makes you feel so down but got to remain positive. Don't let it beat you !

All the best

Rachel x

• Posted

Thanks Rachel. I n definitely not giving up. I want to go back to work but its hard when I can't stand up for too long and sometimes dizzy when I sit down too. I feel for everyone that is going thru this. Wish you all the best with the neurologist appt and keep me updated.
  • Posted

I am at the same spot as you. I have checked everythhing in my body, and every test comes back normal. I have been suffering from anxiety my whole life, but this dizziness and lack of balance for almost 2 years had crippled me and I am so tired and feeling so old! I am 53 years old and I had my menopause almost 10 years ago, I don't know if still can be related to hormonal imbalance or what. The thing is, my whole world has come upside down. I used to be a very active person, loved to walk, and these days, going down a sidewalk step feels like descending a cliff.I am soooo desperate!

• Posted

Hello there . I am sorry you are going thru the same thing as me. I get so frustrated by it cause it affects everything I do and stops me from doing things I use to do. I just wish we both knew what was causing this cause something is . I have done more tests than I can count and all was normal. I had a hysterectomy 7 weeks ago and they removed everything so am in menopause but this dizziness has and off balance has been going on for almost 3 years now. I did read on an article on Facebook that being magnesium deficient can cause dizziness and loss of balance feeling so I am gonna go to my Dr and ask for a complete blood work up. By the way I am 45.
    • Posted

Hello,

I can relate to your balance issues. I became deaf about 13

years ago. I think it was due to Meniers, but no one confirmed. Back then, I was so dizzy and nauseous. Dizziness would

come and I would have to lie down and it would pass. Then other times it would last the entire day and I had to pick up kids from school. It was rough and I couldn't cook for them. I swear my son thought food came from windows.

Now, I'm still dizzy. When I walk it looks like I'm drunk, though I don't drink at all. I got a rollator. I suggest you try a rollator. It helps with stability. Maybe you can enjoy walks again =) Before the rollator I fell every day. And yes it made me feel like I was in my 70s. I am 45.

• Posted

I am trying to find out if anyone in this post has actually found something that helps. I have been to the neurologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, ent, psychologist, gp, had sleep studies, chest x-rays, MRI, C scan (w/wo differentials) stress test, 30 day heart monitor, blood test, eye exams and so on. This has been off and on for years. I was diagnosed with GAD and since that my doctors blame everything on that. Since last year I have changed my diet to plant based, lost 50lbs., and was exercising 5 days a week up until about 3 months ago then the symptoms came and never left. Now I have fear every time I have to do something. Driving my children anywhere, scared to go in the park, grocery store, or even walking around the block...and sometimes I could just be sitting around and it feels like the room is moving. I'm always sleepy, slight headache, light headed/dizzy. The only time I feel good is when I'm sleeping. I am not sure if it's because of the anxiety or am I anxious because of the problem. I try to thing positive, hoping that our thoughts do in fact impact our reality. This, however, does make one depressed and the quality of life is not good at all. Any suggestions.

• Posted

I also feel constantly off balance. It started about 2 or 3 months after I turned fully plant based (vegan) and was doing a lot of jogging. I wonder if it has to do with vitamin B12 deficiency that is common on a vegan diet? However I have not had an MRI yet to rule out other causes - that is scheduled in 5 days. I will report back if they find anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.