Extreme Panic attacks menopause symptom? Do vitamin b's help or 5http

Posted , 17 users are following.

Need help as I've been suffering terribly with menopause, severe panic attacks, shaking, sweating, hot flushes, legs like jelly!

I had severe chest pain, it woke up from sleep at 4am Easter Sunday. Ambulance cane and took to A/E. Hospital said ECG fine but it was a heart spasm probably caused by panic attack in sleep, can that happen?

I shake at any sudden sound? Get that nervous pit feeling in your stomach, goes right through me! Even watching tv any sudden movements make me jump. My question is would vitamin b complex help plus 5http at night to help with sleep? I'm in the menopause also, have hot flushes during day and night. Have used menopace but not working now.

Any advice would help as I feel so not myself, low energy, nervy all the time even my speech sounds jittery !!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I was exactly the same starting just over a year ago, particularly the panic and the awful nevrous feeling in the stomach. Its like being on a really badly turbulent flight when the plane is juddering around and dipping and diving, but its just constant and nothing I could do stopped it.  I got the flushes too. I was put on diazepam by the doctor, but even that didnt seem to help - or only for a few hours a night.   

After 3-4 months, the whole thing just calmed down.   I had never been so relieved about anything in my life!   

I had been diagnosed as hypothyroid and was on levothyroxine when the adrenaline rushes started, and I thought it might be because of the levothyroxine, so I came of it.  My panic subsided for a couple of months, then came back again in full force, for 3-4 months as I said.   I actually think now it was all to do with hormonal inbalances, and the body having alot of difficulty readjusting itself. My periods stopped just before the panic set in really bad, so I definitely put this horrible thing down to the menopause coming on.  

I did get some mental health support at the time.   I think that your horrible panics will calm down as well, but obviously, seeing youre doctor and getting some support does sound like it would help.

Honestly, I am really much calmer now, though fed up about a few other things the menopause causes - what a lovely time of life??!!!............

When I was going through what you are, I really was terrified and thought it would never stop. I'm ashamed to say that it got so bad that I took an overdose once, and was admitted to a psychiatric unit for a few days.  Mind you as soon as I was in there I wanted to leave!

Please dont think this wont ever go away - really it will!

• Posted

Thank you for saying it gets better. I haven't had a period for five months and the panic attacks and anxiety is getting worse.

Ive been in peri nine years this september.

It is hell.

Ive got a constant inner tremble that is making me think I have parkinsons or something.

Hope you have a good day x

• Posted

Good advice. I too suffered horrific panic and anxiety attacks.. Had a nervous frightened feeling all the time .My body jumped at everything even the slightest quiet noise . Couldn't go in places for 7 weeks. I'm wondering if these symptoms are easing a bit ? I had them back to back for 6 weeks
  • Posted

Oh I feel for you Shirley, I know what your going through, I've been feeling like that everyday for months, I've started dreading going to bed because I know I'll wake up in the middle of the night or early morning with the racing heart, extreme anxiety, depression,extreme feelings of fear and claustrophobia, feel I'm trapped with all of the symptoms

The worst symptom for me is the off balance/dizzy feeling, it has caused me so much anxiety I feel totally trapped with it

Maybe some HRT would help you Shirley, don't know your circumstances if it would be an option but it might be worth considering

I've tried vitamins,sedatives etc and they don't really have a good effect on me so I can't really answer that for you

The only thing I can say is there are lots of us ladies going through the same, it's hell but try and look forward because it will pass

All the best

Brenda x

• Posted

Hi I am having severe perimenopause and the anxiety thing is the worst. Also the deep, dark depression and not sleeping are just awful. Have you considered HRT? I just started it and things seem a little better at least I am sleeping. But I still get the awful anxiety esp. at night, and weird thoughts like running away and leaving my family lol. I have Ativan for when it gets really really bad, also Trazadone to sleep. This is truly the worst thing I have ever been through so so glad for this site.
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,

My flight or fight response was on almost permanent last year.

Our heating and hot water make the pipes and radiators go off with a bit of a bang as v they heat up and cool down.

We've lived in the house for 16 years now so I should be quite used to it.

In bed at night I was jumping out of my skin each time it happened.

I started with HRT in November and it has stopped now.

• Posted

Thanks for all your messages, I'm overwhelmed by support for this, thank you.

At the moment there's at least 10 things going on but worst of all is my father has terminal cancer and my mum is ill and husband been battling depression for all our married life, been together for 23 years. I just find it all too much now especially with my husband, I have been his rock but he is trying to help. He knows Ive had enough as I don't give in very easily. I'm 50 and been like this for 2 years but panic attacks never been as bad as this.

I'm trying vitamin b now with kalms, hopefully this will work with the flushes as well.

Everyone is helpful on here I'm so pleased with the response, that's s relief

• Posted

Your welcome Shirley. So sorry to hear about your family, I lost my mum to cancer in January this year and the stress and grief definetley affects the nervous system which affects the hormone balance hence worse symptoms

Hopefully things will settle down a bit for you and you have other sources of support in sisters or good friends

Sending you a big comfy hug xx

• Posted

You have a wonderful support group here on this forum Shirley. These ladies have been so wonderful to me. Im deeply sorry about your father. I lost my dad to terminal cancer in 2012. I know exactly how difficult it is. I also have a son who is battling addiction and the stress from all of it can be unbearable at times. The anxiety is absolutely horrible when you need to be the strong one. My heart goes out to you and please feel free to reach out if you are needing to.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley,  I'm so sorry to hear about youre mum and dad.  About the time my panic set in really bad my mum who has Alzheimers had just gone into hospital after a fall, and had to have a hip replacement op. She was considered too unwell to live at home again after that, so me and my sister had to find a good care home for her. The really upseting thing was she had no idea what was going on, didnt even really know she was in hospital.

It was a pretty traumatic time, and I think that if you have other bad stresses on top of the peri/menopause, it can be almost impossible to cope.

I just had a feeling of impending doom all the time.  Thankfully my mum settled into the care home quite well, which has proved to be really good with kind caring stff, and is near me, so I visit often.

I started taking vitamin supplements like VitB and D omega 3, calcium and magnesium. and that might have helped as well. Also my doctor put me on fluoxetine.  It takes quite a while to really work, but I know it is doing now, and I'm very thankful.  Possibly that might help you. 

I wish that when I was going through those awful feelings that I knew so many other women did.  I'm really thankful for this forum!

• Posted

Just a wee out of the box suggestion ladies for anxiety and dizzies....I was feeling dizzy and anxious this afternoon and forgot I hadn't put my grounding stone in my pocket, now I'm sure this might sound off the wall to some of you but try getting a bit of haematite or tourmaline stones, it definitely helps honestly, kept in your pocket, bra or PJs if and when anxious or dizzy, only a couple of quid, try n see...helps me xxx
    • Posted

Hi,

It's not at all odd, I have a shiny, smooth stone and find it soothing to twirl around in my pocket. I haven't called it a grounding stone, just like the feel of it, but I haven't carried it for some time now, afraid I'd lose it.

Anyways, children often have a pacifying item with them, perhaps there's something to that 😊👍🏻

• Posted

Absolutely , hematite, tourmaline, any black stones help keep you grounded to the earth and safe xxx
    • Posted

Oh, mines not black, clear and pink, I think any smooth stone would work though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.