Eyelash Loss

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I started losing eyelashes about 4 months before I was diagnosed with blepharitis.  My doctor thought it was due to my anemia and put me on iron pills.  I have now been treating my blepharitis for the last 4 weeks with antibiotic ointment, warm compress/massage, tea tree oil/baby shampoo eyelash cleaning and upping my omega3’s.  Although my eyes feel a bit better and are also a little less swollen I am loosing even more eyelashes than before. 

I haven’t been able to find a lot of information about eyelash loss and blepharitis and I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar- where your eyes get better but your eyelashes fall out even more.  I wonder if maybe the eyelash loss and blepharitis are not related after all and I need to look at my iron levels again.

Thank you for any help! 

erin

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am also having eyelash loss and so is my daughter.  I don't think it is iron.  I think it could be related to a staph bacteria.  I need help too.  Not sure if this is going to the whole group?  I'm scared to try the Wet Ones, but think will try myself.  It seems to be spreading to other family members.  I'm washing with tea tree shampoo and body wash.  Do warm compresses, have done the IPL treatment.  My husband has it with no eyelash loss.  My daughter is losing a few eyelashes.  Would you try this on a child?  Will try Wet Ones myself first.  Thoughts?  I need help!

• Posted

Dear Erin,

I used the Wet Ones in the Red Box sold in the US. 

If you are allergic to detergent or fabric softeners or lanolin or the hand wipes you should no try them. My daughter killed a sty with them too.  My husband had white dots on his lids and Dr said it was Bleph too. He used the wipes too. 

Benzethonium Chloride is a Quat, one of several. It kills Staph. 

An Avon facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride is what was used by a friend who killed her Bleph. They reformulated that product and that is why I used the wipes.

Jill, who posted on this site, had Bleph for 20 years and Dr said her lashes would not grow back. She said she gets complements on her lashes now.

If you are in the UK you will need to order them online.

I wore makeup and killed it at the same time.

You can cross contaminate. I used white wash cloths as you can bleach them, one for each eye. Using two wash cloths was mentioned by a Dr online too.

Hope this will be helpful to you,

Lynda79 

• Posted

Dear Erin,

Forgot to say this takes over 3 months to kill. Some have used them and quit in a few weeks and it came back. The last couple of months are only 2 times a day. That is not hard to do-morning and night.

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear Erin,

Using the Wet Ones, antibacterial hand wipes, can kill the Staph that causes Blepharitis if on the eyelash area.

The UK wipes seem to be more irritating to people. 

Now the formula seems to be changing on some of the Red Wet Ones. I have found that the yellow ones (The box is yellow too) have the similar formula.

Someone about 2 years ago posted on this site about the wipes bothering her but it was helping so she looked for something with Benzethonium Chloride in it.

She lives in Canada and said she found this product called MERIDA cleasing Wipes. They were sold at DOLORAMA. You would have to look online for these. She said they worked well and had Benzethonium Chloride in them and she could feel the difference in 24 hours.

Jill, on this site, mentioned how her eyelashes grew back and she had Blepharitis for over 20 years when she used the Wet Ones. She is in the US. 

I had the terrible itching on my lashes and managed to put it in the other eye too. When a friend killed it I looked for that product (antibacterial facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it) they no longer made it with that ingredient in it. I ended up looking online for what had Benzethonium Chloride in it. That is how I the Wet Ones.

After I killed it I looked up everything as to why it worked as people had questions. 

If you are not allergic to detergents, fabric softeners or have sensitive skin you can try them from the US. Tea Tree Oil (that is diluted) is posted about on this site and it kills Staph too. 

My daughter used the wipes to kill her stye too. She said it took only a cople of days but she kept using the wipes for 4 days to make sure.

Hope some of these options work for you.

If I left something out let me know. I did use mascara and makeup while killing it. If you need that info let me know too.

Lynda79

• Posted

Lynda, I don't understand  why  Wet Ones don't help me.

• Posted

Dear Rita,

Are you in the US or UK? The UK ones are harsher some have said.  You could be allergic too.

Many are using wipes that are not the ones in the box so I am not sure if they are the same ingredients.

Tea Tree Oil kills Staph too. One person used olive oil and Tea Tree oil half and half 2 times a week for Demodex. That is the mites on the eyes. The rest of the time he did 90/10. the 90 being the olive oil. 

The ratio is good to know. There is also Tea Tree Oil and shampoo that is posted about on this site too. It could give relief.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi

Can you tell me which Wet Ones wipes you use? Is it the original ones in a blue packet ... or in the US are they in a red box?

I'm losing my eyelashes and have had blepharitis for about 6 months. It's really getting me down and I just want to get rid! I feel like my warm compresses and tea tree oil solutions are just aggravating it and causing more eyelash loss. 

Thank you x

• Posted

Dear Rachel,

I used the ones in the Red Box but some of them have changed so you can get the ones in the yellow box. The last ingredient is leaf juice. 

Jill, on this site, had Blepharitis for 20 years and her lashes grew back using the wipes. I hope you have the same results. Others mentioned that their lashes grew back too.

Please don't use the warm compresses before using the wipes. You can rinse off after leaving it on for 10 minutes. That is the time it takes to work.

Wish you well,

Lynda79

• Posted

Have you had any improvements? I’m experiencing the same and have been for 6 months and I just want my eyelashes to stop falling out I’m losing so many! 
    • Posted

Dear Lynda,

Happy New Year, the year of defeating Bleph.

I live in US. Our WET ONES are in red plastic small bags.Their active ingredient is Benzethonium

Chloride 0.3%. Is this the same strength in UK or wherever?

• Posted

Dear Rita,

I live in the US too. The Wet Ones I used are in a red (or now can use yellow) box. They are called Pocket Size Singles and there are 24 individually wrapped wipes. The last ingredient is Leaf Juice. I tried the yellow on my lashes too and worked the same way. I had no problems.

The UK wipes have Benzalkonium Chloride in them. Many have mentioned that they were harsh on their eyes.

The wipes I used have .3% Benzethonium Chloride in them. I cannot say to use anything different as I can only say what personally used that worked for me. Other people who cannot use the wipes found other products with Benzethonium Chloride that worked for them and posted about it. Some people are allergic to the wipes.

Hope they work for you.

Lynda79

• Posted

Rachel... I am having the same problem. I’m at the point that I am nervous every time I touch my lashes. I wonder if there is just too much handling of them with all the warm compresses, cleanings, drops etc. I’m so tired of worrying about them all the time. I’m going to my doctor in two days and I’m going to ask about cliradex, castor oil, Vaseline, and some of the other products I’ve read about. Forget about mascara. I was putting it on the ends of my lashes for special occasions but then I have to worry about washing it off. I’ll post what my doctor advises. 
    • Posted

Hi, so sorry for the late reply!

Yes it worked I'm more or less healed smile

My eyelashes are still sensitive and 1/2 may come out whilst I am cleaning my eyelash line but not as bad as before. 

I highly recommend the Wet Ones wipes Lynda posted, nothing has treated my blepharitis the same 

• Posted

I used an oil mix of Rosemary, Castor and Tea Tree oil for eyelash growth (overnight) and it worked a treat! 

I used Wet Ones wipes x2 a day just to clean the blepharitis 

My eyes are in a much better condition now and I only use the above if I have a flare up , but I haven't done so in a couple of months now. I was cured in around 2 months

• Posted

I have read dozens of posts from people who have missing or misdirected lashes and also have bleph. There seems to be a definite connection. I have seen a big improvement in my lashes by gently cleaning my them several times a day with Sterilid, Ocusoft, and Wet Ones. At night after cleaning my eyes I apply Manuka Honey Rescue Cream on my lids and lashes and leave it on overnight. I only lose a few each week and they are growing straighter. It’s worth a try. 

• Posted

Happy New Year’s Eve!

I also use sterelids, and ocusoft to clean my lids in the morning and before bed. In addition I alternately use tea tree soap for cleansing. I use wet ones a couple of times through the day. My lashes, which were almost all gone on the outer edges have grown back, some misdirected.

Not necessarily recommending this but I often use splinter tweezers to remove some of the “collars” around the lashes using a 15x mirror. I have found that often I have two or more lashes coming from what looks like the same root in the problem areas.

In my case, I hardly ever wore make up and never had a sty until 2 years ago. Right after I developed sty, I got the blepharitis diagnosis at 67! I cannot believe I am spending so much time on eyelid care! However, I guess things can always be worse.

Here’s to a happy & healthy 2018!

• Posted

No stys yet!  I am thankful that I don’t have all of the bad symptoms that some people have.  I do all of the same things that you mentioned. Maybe things will improve. 🌈

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.