Farting Blood Stained Mucus

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi All

Got quite an embarressing problem going on at the moment, and wondering if anyone can give me some advice, info or help about it.

Today, I've been having long, non smelly farts, but when I do I have to wipe my bottom as I feel a discharge occur. When I wipe my anus there is clear mucus present with spots of bright red blood present. On top of that, I have been getting quite a bit of lower abdominal and back pain, and also feeling quite lightheaded and dizzy, had some stomach bloating and burping and have a slight headache, I generally feel a bit unwell.

This isn't the first time its happened, although its not a frequent occurrence, I was wondering if anyone knew what might be going on.

I am due to see Gastroenterologist in a couple of weeks following a referral from my doctor. I was diagnosed with IBS about a year ago, but in recent months my condition has been getting gradually worse, hence my doctor referring back to Gastroenterology. I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound, loads of blood, urine and stool tests done and nothing out of the ordinary was ever found, I did have polyps removed which were completely benign.

Could this be a bad IBS flare up, or are there other possibilities why this blood stained mucus is happening. Any views or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and give me some ideas and thoughts to throw at the Gastroenterologist.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

For Paul & abeckert (sorry if wrong spelling). I'm 28y I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 17. These sound very similar to the symptoms I had / have now with Crohn's disease. Blood in stool / mucus discharge when flared. I came to this forum to figure out why I would experience discharge when passing gas. This is a first for me. I'm going to the dr soon. Maybe their information can help. 

• Posted

I had a follow up with the surgeon who did my colonoscopy and he said that everything looked very good. I do however have some internal hemmorhoids from the birth of my son, and problems with bad constipation which combined was causing the blood and mucus. Unfortunately my family has a history of bowel troubles including bad constipation. The surgeon said he didn’t see any sign of disease. So I have been eating bran buds once a day, trying to get more exercise, and drinking way more water. My symptoms have since subsided and I have been feeling better than ever. I hope everyone on this thread finds their answer as well. Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words smile
    • Posted

Great news! .Did they band the hemmorhoids for you.has the mucus gone too now?
  • Posted

Also to ease your mind if having Crohn's disease , it's not as bad as you think living with it. It's just very important to eat real food. Other than that you'll be "normal". Normal meaning regular bowel movements , little to no abdominal pain

• Posted

Paul look up histamine intolerance. I instantly thought of you reading this
    • Posted

Hi Ruby

Thanks for the heads up and I'll definitely have a look at histamine intolerance, once the christmas madness has subsided!! Any possible cause for these problems are worth researching.

Thank you again and take care.

• Posted

Hi Paul I been getting this did u fine out what yr problem is
    • Posted

Hi Hollie

No idea what's causing it, but I'm still under investigation.

However, with the last chat with my doctor he told me it could be combination of constipation, internal hemorrhoids (which I've had confirmed) and natural mucus production. He believes this is the case as when straining and passing stools that are hard, as they usually are with constipation, they rupture hemorrhoids which in turn causes bleeding. This bleeding can continue even after passing stools, and along with the mucus production which is produced to help pass stools, can cause the passing of wind accompanied with bloody mucus. Because the blood collecting around the anus is not in contact with air and in a moist environment, it stays in a fresh like state for longer than normal, and takes longer to clot, hence why the bleeding looks like fresh blood. He did say the increased mucus production isn't normal, and along with my other digestive issues, is the reason why I am still under investigation.

On a plus note, I've hardly had any bleeding or bloody mucus lately, and I think that has had something to do with my toilet habits. I used to be bad for making sure I was regular when passing stools, even when I didn't feel like I needed to go, I would sit on the toilet and almost try to force myself to have a bowel movement. Since I've changed my habits to go only when I get the urge, I've hardly had any signs of blood, only once in the last month, and that was probably because the stool I passed was very firm and hard. It's hard to not want to sit on the toilet if I haven't had a bowel movement for a couple of days, but I do refrain and eventually I get the urge and go.

Sorry I can't give you more definite information than that, take care and all the best.

• Posted

I have been having symptoms for the last 3 months . I have been passing blood along with lots of mucus.Have had blood tests which showed that my inflammation markers were 2000. I have had a colonoscopy and also a sigmoidoscopy, and a CT scan .Also lots of blood tests and stool samples and a double biopsy. But still don't know what's wrong ,haven't been told a thing.

• Posted

Hi Marina

Sorry took so long to reply, didn't get a notification. Hope you are ok?

Have you had any news on the cause of your symptoms yet? What was the CT scan for?

The fact that your blood tests had high inflammation markers does suggest inflammation in your body somewhere. If you haven't already, I would be tempted to get referred for a small bowel MRI study and Endoscopy.

I'd be interested to know of any developments on your condition. In the meantime, do take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hello Paul. I first noticed a little drop of blood on my paper 10 years ago then a couple of drops for about 5 years with on and off diarrhea the whole time. Then still diarrhea for about 4 years later it really kicked in: diarrhea like crazy and going every 3 mins . That went on for like 4 months. Then I moved towns and that's went I now have to empty my bowel every 15 minutes with mostly diarrhea but the occasional once every two weeks solid. When I moved towns the rectal bleeding became quite bad and sother did the mucus. The bleeding generally only happens if I have to hold . I always feel like it's blocked or something and I never feel like I finish. I moved towns in the 3rd of December and now it's the 30 of March and the mucus happens a lot when I'm laying down and have my knees up. The Dr did two stool tests one to come back the first came back as iratibility as 15 normal is up to 50 . I also can't feel if I'm holding and it just leaks disharge when I hold . The blood is medium / dark red and it's in the pools as well as all over my anus hole. I get a lot of bloating and cramps and uregency to go and also my abdomin is loud all the time. Blood tests krep coming back clear and so do finger examinations. But the examinations do appear to have mucus. My Dr had to cancel the first consultation with the gastrointestinal surgeon coz they were sick "sigh" i am now waiting on a stool test and another consultation . My Dr has ordered one at the hospital for as soon as they can. What do I do ?

• Posted

Hi Amariah

Wow, it sounds like you have had a really bad time of it, for quite some time as well, so sorry for you having to go through this.

You say that you started noticing blood about 10 years ago, did you seek advice from a doctor when you first noticed you were bleeding or have you only just started seeking medical advice?

The fact that the blood is dark red isn't great either, however if you have constant diarrhoea then it could be your stools making the blood look darker than it actually is. Is the very dark, tarry type stools that indicate upper gastrointestinal bleeding.

If you forget about the bleeding and diarrhoea for now, are you having any other symptoms? Have you ever tried to make changes to your diet and the foods you eat? Other than having to deal with the diarrhoea and bleeding, are you stressed at all?

I don't know how you feel about this but when I used to get severe flare ups, which would lead to bouts of diarrhoea, I used to stop eating all foods, and stick to eating just plain white boiled rice and drink just water. I used to have to do this for 2 to 3 days, and then I noticed my bowel movements would improve, and my flare up symptoms would ease. It might be worth a try. If you notice improvements doing this you could well be suffering with food allergies or intolerances, for which you would then need to see a dietician.

I don't know what treatment you have had so far, but in my opinion you really need more investigation done on your digestive system to rule out a number of conditions. You need, at least, an Endoscopy, Colonoscopy and small bowel MRI study. I recently had a Colonoscopy and my colon was totally healthy, but the cause of my bleeding was discovered as being internal haemorrhoids, which will bleed very easily. My increased mucus production is being caused by an unknown factor as yet, but I have a small bowel MRI in a week, which will either show, or not show signs of Crohn's Disease. Personally, I don't think I have Crohn's Disease, all my blood tests have been clear, and I've had a lot of them. People with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) usually have high white blood cell counts, which is an indication of inflammation.

There are also over the counter medications that will help relieve diarrhoea, you could try one of those, but personally I try and steer clear of any medication where possible. Other than that and the other advice I've offered I really don't know what else to say, or what other advice I can offer, but you do need to get medical advice as soon as you can, rectal bleeding of any type is a red flag marker, and your doctor should be pushing for quicker treatment for you.

I hope this has helped, and don't hesitate to get in touch if need any more help or advice. Take care!

• Posted

Hey thank you paul. The Dr has tested me for coeliac and that back clear. The Dr's have done numerous blood tests and they have all come back clear except for the blood loss. The Dr is pushing for an immediate consultation with a surgeon but it's easter here so they can't do it at the moment. This is really hard to live with and I find I end up in tears and bit . I even wear sanitry pads to catch the mucus. Are there any diagnosis that a blood test can't pick up ?

• Posted

Hi all, im wondering what docs have said about this as both me and my daughter are suffering with this problem! But noticed mine after starting smoking the electric cig! Ive had ibs for years so dont think thats what it is! But i stopped smoking 3 months ago and started on an e cig, my daughter has had this quite a while but she also smokes an e cig! Docs havent come up with anything for hers so b4 i go to docs i wanted to see how all of u have got on at docs/hospitals?? 
    • Posted

Hi Lindy

Any rectal bleeding needs further investigation, and will likely need a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.

You say you both have IBS, what type do you have? If it's constipation you could well have haemorrhoids, which will bleed easily. If diarrhoea it could be due to soreness of having to pass stools frequently. My bloody mucus has been put down to a combination of haemorrhoids and IBS, the haemorrhoids cause bleeding and IBS causes the mucus. My haemorrhoids can sometimes bleed from passing wind too abruptly or violently. I am still currently under investigation for Crohn's Disease after 2 separate positive faecal calprotectin tests, however I've been told this is unlikely as as my last colonoscopy with biopsies showed no problems at all, apparently my colon, rectum and terminal ileum looked very healthy, and biopsies were clear. You could also have rectal polyps, these can bleed quite easily. These will need to be removed and tested should you have any, but again can only be diagnosed using a camera.

That's my experience for you, one thing you could ask for to get the ball rolling would be to ask if you can have your stools tested for blood and faecal calprotectin. If no blood in the stool then there is likely nothing serious going on as I was told by my GP. Faecal calprotetin is an inflammatory marker and if result is greater than 50 it is indicating inflammation somewhere along your gut (gut being anywhere from your mouth to your anus). My faecal calprotectin results were 1400 and 300.

Hope some of that helps! All the best and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Paul

My calprotectin marker was 2000then down to 200.was told by doctors that 200 was high.

• Posted

Hey Marina

2000!!! That’s pretty high. Have you managed to find out what the cause for your high results are?

I was told any sort of inflammation along your GI tract can give positive results, hence the reason why they follow up high results with further investigation. Even a really sore throat, tooth abscess, gastritis, some medications, literally anything can give positive results, it’s a very sensitive test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.