Feel like something stuck in my throat

Posted , 111 users are following.

Hi. I'm really hoping somebody can help me, can't find any discussions on here!  For the last few months I've had a feeling of having something stuck at the base of my throat or like a lump. It's not there all the time and comes and goes. I went to visit the doc and she had a look but said couldn't see anything and all looked and felt good, but to be in the safe side would refer me to ent to have a look.   So today, a month after seeing doc, I had a letter from hosp.  I have an urgent appt in 5 days to be seen so that they can rule out more serious conditions such as cancer.  This letter has completely freaked me out and I have been in tears all day and am now thinking I have some form of cancer!   I'm a 41 yr old lady and a complete mess today as I can't phone or speak to anybody for assurance or advice! 

Could my go have seen something and not told me??? Thankyou x

6 likes, 224 replies

224 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

sam i currently am expieriencing the exact same symptom and before this began about 3 weeks ago i was given tokendi, a diet pill perscribe. a week into taking this med i began to have this feeling of something stuck in my throat and the doc instructed me to not take them anymore since i seemed to have an alergic reaction to. since it come and goes and i cant get rid of it, its only been a week since i have been off the pill and so i'm hoping to rid of this awful feeling soon. maybe your's might be related to an alergie of some kind. either way stay positive and follow thru with appt. by the way im 55 yrs old and havent been to a doctor in over 25 years in which the people closest to me continue to insist i get a check up just in case something developing can be prevented. once the appt is concluded could you keep me posted of the results which i am hoping for the best for both our sakes.

bless you dear

• Posted

Hi, I am so pleased to have found the thread I'm going out my mind...I've had this issue for months and I've been keep awake most nights.

I'm 28 and I have children, I've been so scared I have something more sinister I've had panic attacks,

I did see a docter and I went to a&e has my throat felt like it was closing over all they could say was heart burn, I do suffer with chest pains to on occasion but I'm told I have inflammation around the rib cage, I wonder if it's linked now

Im really sorry you are all experiencing this it's really not a nice feeling , please let me know how you all get on xxxx

• Posted

I had this problem on and off for 3 years. went and saw an ENT and found out it is allergies. I take 50mg of hydroxide a day along with Flonase twice a day.
    • Posted

How did the ENT conclude it was allergies? My ENT went from Muscle relaxers with anti-inflammatory medicine for a week to see if it works, camera thru nose down throat to see any problems (was negative). Next he wants to "try" a steriod INJECTION to see "if" that helps. NO WAY with the last one.

• Posted

Hey Gabmark, I would suggest seeing an allergist. That is what my husband did and how he came to find out that is what was going on. With his insurance plan he didnt need a refferal he just called and made and apt. But if you need a refferal I would just bring it up to your doctor. I am sure s/he would refer you. (No harm in doing so)

• Posted

I waned to ask if anyone has ever had this I can't swollow nothing but mashpoto icecream and soft juicy stuff. Have been to doctor said it was aCid reflux. I feel like I have a lump in My throat at all times I don't hurt and I am not sick and if I eat any thing that's not fluid it takes me forever to eat I get tired of eating.

I need to know if anyone has got a natural remedy for this

• Posted

Hi

Do this: get holy basil, valerian root extract, flax seed oil, and oil of oregano. Take them 3 times a day. Then increase your dose. Drink licorice tea. It will be gone.

• Posted

Hi there. I have been experiencing simular feelings. One day I took a drink of flavored water then all the sudden I had a feeling if something stuck in my throat. I only ate aplle sauce and yogurt for 3 days. I started slowly adding other foods. I still gave the feeling if something stuck in my throat. Such a horrible way to live. I went to the Dr and they did an xray but it showed nothing. They told me to take Nexium and sent me home. I have been on it for 4 weeks now and I feel no different. Did you ever get answers?
    • Posted

Hi 1carolbell I'm having the same issues as u posted I know it's an old post but I was wondering how u are now? can u eat solid food now ? Has lump sensation gone I can't eat at all just liquid!!!!

• Posted

Hi Angela. If you can't eat, I would suggest that you see a gastroenterologist. He can do an endoscopy to see if any problems like gerd. I have gerd and have had feeling of lump in throat. You have to be very disciplined to improve gerd problems. Main thing is to stop eating by 6pm. It will help prevent backwash of acid at night. Raise head of bed might help too. Diet is most important. Eat several light meals a day rather than a few heavy meals. Also, watched a few YouTube vids. A feeling of lump in the throat can be caused from swollen lymph glands, allergies, or esophageal muscle not working properly. Stress will make it worse, so get checked out before freaking out over the problem. Do research on your health and Drs. You know your body better than anyone. Listen to it! Take care. Feel better soon. God Bless You

• Posted

I would be careful about taking flaxseed if you have hyperthyroidism, or hypothyroidism, as flaxseed has an ingredient in it that can result in an enlarged goiter. My gastroenterologist told me this.
  • Posted

Hi Ms. Sam!

I am Roxette, 24 years old.. I've been experiencing this problem for more than two years now. It only happens when I yawn, while sitting and especially when laying on bed. It's like something got dislocated or stuck on my throat and I could usually bring it back using my fingers by massaging..I could literally feel that something on my neck. But then last year it happened again but I couldn't bring it back for more than an hour, it was really hard to swallow my saliva and it hurts to the point that no clear words come out of my mouth..I was rushed to the ER but along the way, when I was crying, it went fine. The next day I had a check up at the ENT, he said it was sore but there's no dislocation stuff or something. I had a Barium Swallow Test or something like that and they said there was no problem on my swallowing.

I still get minor episodes that I could take. But then a year later, two days ago, I couldn't bring it back again so I went straight to the ER. I was sitting there for almost 2 hrs with that stuck on my throat. I couldn't move my head and it hurts when they poke my neck. They injected me a med that will help me calm myself.. I could slighty talk but it hurts a lot and there were letters that couldn't get out.. But then as I was to take my XRAY, it came back to normal. I still had my XRAY and they've told me there's no problem.

Seriously.. I am so worried because it doesn't get better and it just pops out unexpectedly. The doc told me to check to Ortho. Uhmm ma'am, does this makes any sense at all?

Could someone please help me if this exact same thing happens to anyone you know? Also, what do I really have to take? Please.

Thank you and God bless!

• Posted

So for about two weeks the left side of my neck right around Adams apple area is sore with a dull pain associated and a constant feeling like when you are about to cry and there is a lump in your throat. Feel like its hard to catch my breath sometimes to. Oddly there is no additional discomfort when eating or drinking anything. The area may be slightly swollen but from looking at me you wouldn't notice. Swallowing spit seems difficult. I'm so confuses. I'm 25 years old, I'm very rarely sick. No health problems,and very fit. Please help.

• Posted

Hey, did you ever find out about this problem? Is it cramps?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.