Feeling super tired and anxious

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been in 10 mg of citalopram going on 4 weeks this coming Sunday and today I'm so so tired and anxious somewhat too but because I feel so tired. Was on 5 mg for first 5 weeks. Just wondering if I can have like almost feeling myself again for some days and the next day down hill, so tired and anxiety up, this normal and how much longer will this take.

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys, Ive done 3 weeks citalopram 10mg and ive just started 20mg today. Felt shocking today but thats because im so anxious in the night when i wake - about not getting back to sleep mainly. Then this weekend I had a family bday yesterday AND today. Felt like was going to explode but I did it.

It's at times like this I wish I was religious!

Im a grown, professional Im so embarassed by my problem.

I was on fluoxetine for 7 months with amitriptyline and I was more settled but they say citalopram is the best one for anxiety so im sticking with it !

My problem in order of impact is sleep, anxiety, depression and some anger.

But when i sleep everything is so much more managable.

Im hoping citalopram is the best thing that ever happened to me surprised

• Posted

Btw - feel free to give me your thoughts and remedies!
    • Posted

There is nothing to be embarrassed about David. You are ill and you have a "sticking plaster for the brain!" Just because there is no physical sign of the illness can make others doubt and us feel guilt.

The only remedy is to keep taking Cita and keep posting, asking for advice when needed and going with it, for as long as it does take. I am over 7 months in and see my Doctor tomorrow, hopefully, about beginning the slow and gradual reduction from 40mg where I levelled out.Some are lucky not to go this high, but I did and things are almost 100% better, yet I find it ain't quite when things happen. Not to worry I am getting there and so will you!

Welcome to the Club (by the way).

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thats me to a Tee David! Citalopram is working for me after 5 weeks I have had no anxiety just minor side effects that I've got used too the worse one is the damn tremors in hands but I cant still play Iron man on Bass with my band so thats the main thing wink stick with it my man! you will see the benefits and more importantly you have a good attitude about getting better so that is the biggest thing! Best of luck ! talk soon.
    • Posted

Hope mine kicks in soon. Slept real bad last night, took a clonazepam, sleep finally came but not great, hope insomnia isn't hitting me now, should I take the pill in the morning instead?
    • Posted

Cindy, I think it is worth giving it a bash until 8 weeks. I have tried two other meds and they all make you feel awful for a while. You are doing a great job, so stick with it until 8 weeks. Did you up your dose to 20mg or still on 10. Hang tough sweetie, we will make it! 
    • Posted

Still on the 10 mg I see my doctor the 30 th. Trying hard to hang in there though. Thank you lee
    • Posted

Thanks Stevo and David for your replies. What time of day do you take your pill? I always take mine in the morning - I'm 4 weeks in - do they make you sleepy if you take them night after the initial period of 1-2+ months ??
    • Posted

A Merry Mid-Summer! Here's to the longest day.

I take mine just before going to bed and the time is not relavent. As Cita can get to work while you sleep and not during the day when you are most active!

I used to take mine during the day, but this led to drowsiness etc., etc., but it was not until I started getting very vivid dreams that I post a cry for help and some kind soul suggested taking it just before bed. I did and within a few days the vivid dreams dropped off. I still dream, but no way as VIVID as before! Hence I get a good nights sleep and am ok during the day. I was about two months(ish) in at the time.

Good luck and keep posting!

Regards,

David

I am reducing now so cannot say what will happen if it happens!!! Good old Cita keeps us guessing!

• Posted

Hi Cindy and a Merry Mid-Simmer's Day!

Please try not to put any time restraints on Cita as it will not live up to your expectations! We all want to get better fast and I am sorry to say that is a sign of the times. We cannot process so much info and not expect the brain to say woah! Enough is enough!" For whatever reason.

It is so simple, all you have to do is allow Cita to do the job it was precribed to do, you have to not "try hard to hang in there" just "hang in there!" It is easy for many of us to say this because we've been there (or still are actually) and that is simply just go with the flow!

The number of times I didn't know what to do with myself, felt spaced, fogg, now way did I understand what was happening, but by posting and reading others posts I found there was no need to analyse and pressurise yer self while you aren't really there. Leave that, until you are better, just - get - better first!

If there is an external pressure you aren't admitting to then share, because we have all needed to drop that which makes us ill to actually get better, then we can definitely go forward!

Chin up (or down just depends how you feel at this time),

Regards,

David

• Posted

It is great coming here and reading all that people write about this pill and so glad that most are feeling better, guess when you're a beginner like me you think you'll never feel normal again. Every little thing makes you anxious and wonder if you can deal with it but you know you have to anyhow. I'll get there, I pray, 5 weeks today on 10 mg so hope soon, very soon I pray I'll be myself again. Thank you David for kind words and putting up with some of my silly questions, but kind of a scary ride right now.
    • Posted

Hey there Cindy, feel much the same although only 3 weeks in and 2 weeks on 10mg. It may take a bit longer, but we are making progress every day, even though it doesn't always feel like it. The scary ride won't last forever, and tomorrow I am going to wake up with no expectations. LOL...going to try anyway. Much love, Lee.
    • Posted

Whose normal?! that is just a vicious rumour someone has put around about me!

Cindy, no question is silly, the only time "silly" comes into its own is if we don't ask because, the answers are out there.

I looked at my scary ride as a roller coaster and some one had strapped me in the front seat without a pair of goggles, loadsa downs to begin with, but eventually there were more ups and then the ride levelled out. It isn't without its odd dips, but I am more used to these now.

Enjoy what is left of Mid-Summer and make Merry!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Sure wish I felt the way you do about this cit pill, guess I've been anxious for way too long now and I've said, just want to be me again. Thank you lee
    • Posted

Thank you again for the UP lifting words. I'm not leaving this forum, at least till I feel me again.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, I think everyone respoind differently to cita around sleeping anyways. I would talk to doc about natural sleeping aid sometimes knowing you have something is enough to take the fear of not sleeping away. seriously work on a sleeping ritual google tips on sleeping and work toward a consistent ritual everynight read before bed if you cant sleep have a cut off time to take something when all else fails ! thats what I did, now I go to bed and sleep ok because I have trained myself in slowing down the body,mind keeping calm. regarding after 8 weeks I would imgaine there will be improvements as that a good run however if there is an improvement keep going like you would an infection medication say! stay positive Cindy smile
    • Posted

Thank you stevo. I do have clonazepam for my insomnia issues, also a tablespoon of honey works sometimes too. Also there is an exercise, breathing one that is, that also seems to help, also by rolling your eyes up as to looking upward, 3 times with your eyes closed will actually bring on your natural melatonin in your brain. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Guys, I take citalopram in the mornings it used to make me real drowsey but thats improved a lot a bottle of red bull sure helps to zap into life! lol. Its funny David I have Vivid dreams but they dont bother me I find I can remember most details whereas I couldnt before?  Hows the reduction going champ? pretty soon you will be flying high and teaching us all Pal ! Take care Cindy and Lee keep fighting stay strong not always easy I know but I know you guys can do it I sense your strenght all the way downunder in NZ. P.s thats not part of australia just saying wink lol

• Posted

Wow cindy some great advice there sounds like you are already on the road to success ! if you can manage thru this you can do anything! well thats what I'm telling myself people out in the world have no idea what this illness is really about I think we are given survival skills to equip us thru the journey so we are a pretty awesome bunch of humans really! unbreakable!
    • Posted

Trying hard. Get pretty hot too, side effect of this pill too, I hate being hot, No pool up this year either, fans and ice water I guess. The breathing thing I do every night too. All pretty simple things to do to get a good night's sleep.
    • Posted

Question for whom ever. How will I know when the worst anxiety I've reached and then it'll level out? 5 th week today on 10 mg!
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, its a tricky one to answer? As some will get more anxiety than others, I was lucky just the early stages I had it bad, maybe you need to still find the right dosage? However everyone has different levels so I would keep the breathing techniques and calming methods going as that will always be of great benefit even when on medication. Take care. 
    • Posted

I know my dose might be small but guess I'm afraid to up it and start those side effects all over again, I don't want that to happen. Pretty anxious this morning again at the 5 week mark on 10 mg but maybe it's still earlier stages, hope not, hope it's leveling out
    • Posted

Hi Cindy,

Basically if you want to get better, you have to go for it! You may get some side effects, but you may not get much at all. It all depends on how your body uses this "sticking plaster for the brain" and how much it needs to make you better.

As I and many others have found (and not everyone had side effects with every increase) they do lessen as you move forward toward recovery. One thing you have to remember you may get them when you reduce, like I am reducing, thankfully, now, but cannot tell if I have any side effects as I have had toothache, dental work and now a gum infection! Oh Joy!

Keep at it, keep posting you are doing fine (really!).

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

I sure hope I am fine, like I said very anxious this morning. Good luck on your way down on this pill, goodness the effects these pills can do, pretty scary to me.
    • Posted

Scary to me too even more so being a confident 50something ex-serviceman!

I (and my Fiancee helped) just kept saying over and over ride the side effects, but enjoy the ups!

Firstly I'm hoping the antibiotics kick in fast!

Regards,

David

• Posted

I am middle 50's 2 sons that are in the army guard full time, both were in Iraq together, scary times for them and me. Helped my dad take care of my mom along with hospice, she wanted to be home, we gave her her wish to be home. My cousin just passed away, we were very close, video charged every morning together, my hubby retired in october last year, son divorced, has the sweetest little girl too. So lots happened I guess, it all came to a head I guess.
    • Posted

It all comes to a head sometimes and we just have to say, ok I gotta stop! Otherwise I am not going to be any good for myself and of course those we love. You have to think of yourself first and hopefully those that love you will wait, be patient and then carry on when you are better.

Ann and I hope that you have support from your husband and get him involved with the forum if he doesn't quite understand, it certainly helped Ann fully understand.

I'm 58 and gave up that which made me ill (work (- related stress)) and now I think stuff it I ain't going to work for no one but myself and my Family now. We are not rich financially, but we are in love and have our own home no mortgage, also as I changed my lifestyle completely expenses are very low really. I am healthier, which I decided to do as my part in my own recovery (although I could still lose a stone or two). To supplement our income we are considering fostering to help children have a secure safe halfway house, maybe even adopt! We are growing some of our own veg albeit in containers in our back yard, but it is FUN!

There are so many positives with this illness that you don't know until you get through the worse. Like helping others like me now who as soon as I finish am going to slide back under the duvet and feel sorry for myself as came back from the dentist again, this time however, I have a gum infection and antibiotics the size of horse tablets!!! Has have Family arriving from Kansas on Sunday!!! We are not getting the slightest bit worked up - now that shows how far I have come!

Enjoy the rest of yer day and keep posting and reading (you'll soon be helping others, trust me)

Best Regars,

David

• Posted

Thank you once again David and Ann for the kind thoughts. I will just keep focusing on this pill helping me and not hurting me. I need to be stronger. I do wish my husband was more supportive, he is not, because for one he doesn't understand this anxiety issue I'm having, sure would help if he were more supportive, I'd maybe heal faster. I hope your mouth feels better soon for you, no fun to be in pain, mental or physically. Take care David and Ann, thank you, I'll keep working here during my anxiety spells, they are scary. Cindy
    • Posted

Hang in there Cindy ! your doing really good so brave with what is happening in your life! I'm not thrilled to be on meds however they make me my old self who was happy go lucky positive before that I was a dark quiet dangerous person to myself somewhere I ever want to go again. taking any medication for me was not ideal as I had a bad drug problem however citalopram puts things into perspective i know its working so thats positive! and I'm sure once its starts getting into your system (cause it takes time) you too will see the benefits take care my friend!
    • Posted

thank you Stevo, trying to stick with them. Glad they worked well for you, hope the same for me too. Cindy
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, very few people have no success on them so I'm confident with the right attitude and dosage you too will start feeling better! keep us posted smile
    • Posted

That's my problem, my attitude towards the cit. I do know that is it, I have to go with the flow as you all say, guess I've been sick too long and want to feel myself right now. Thank you again, will keep you all posted. Cindy
    • Posted

Hey David and Ann. By switching my pill to later in the evening make me feel a little different in the morning? Was taking it around 3 or 4 now I take it around 8 pm. This morning a little more anxious/tried, normal??
    • Posted

Hey Cindy!

It could possibly make a difference, again (repetative as it is) it may not! I posted last year about having multiple, vivid dreams and some kind soul suggested I moved taking Cita from teatime, as I was, to just before bed and it worked for me. Over the months I have noticed more than not, forumers, saying that they find taking it later in the day better. One plus for me the dreams became less vivid and no longerr multiple. I seemd to be pretty much ok during the day apart from (at that time) the anxiety. All the fuzziness and other side effects were minimal and I think taking it just before you sleep allows it to get to work on you while you rest. Pretty logical Captain, I guess!

You have moved taking Cita up nicely through the day so, why not give it a go!

Been raining yer in Deb'm this morn, air is fresher now, sun trying to break through and that's good as I have to get up into our honeymoon suite to do some more decorating! Thankfully it is going to be cooler up there than this morning.

Best Regards,

David & Ann x

Ps What is wrong with Indonesia? I believe I read on one of your posts you have issues with the country! LOL!

• Posted

LOL, if it came out with that spelling/word it was suppose to be insomnia LOL, thanks for the laugh, I didn't notice that one.
    • Posted

Oh yeah and 8 pm it is for me taking the cut.
    • Posted

David and Ann or Stevo. I've probably asked this but here it goes. Once my system is use took this cit, will I be good everyday or am I going to have the anxiety/fatigued feelings off and on, in other words, will I finally be me when the body gets use to this pill?? As you can tell, a little anxious today, probably because I changed the time talking the pill to 8 pm. Cindy
    • Posted

Darn auto correct at it again, sorry hope you can figure out what I'm saying again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.