Feels like muscles/tendons being pulling from my bones

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hello,

I am 51 years old and just recently I was a fit as any 25-year old and was quite certain I was going to live till I was 150. Now I feel like an 80 yr old lady. I've been suffering w/ this pain now for over 3-months. Went to four doctors prior to being referred to a Rheumatologist. A Physician's Assistant friend of mine told me to look up PMR on the internet. My symptoms fit to a T, so I thought. Increasingly elevated ESR (sed rate) and C-Reactive Protein levels. Rheumatoid Factor (RA) was negative twice. Pain startedin my hip flexors and then into my shoulders.

My description of my pain (and I have a very high tolerance) is the most prominant during the night and in my shoulders. I have not been able to sleep lying down, but must sleep in a chair. I have lost range of motion in both arms and my strong muscles are all but gone. If I move my arms to far, too fast...it literally feels as if someone has ripped my arm off. I scream, cry and am wrything with pain. I've fallen a couple of times. I have had some moving around type pain to left knee and now both hands (which feels like joint pain).

The Rheumatologist I saw last week (after 5-minutes) told me I had Rheumatoid Arthritis and that there is no cure and that I would just need to come to grips with it. He wanted me to take an injection of Prednisone, which I refused until the labwork that he did is back. I don't buy the diagnosis of RA.

I am currently being treated via a doctor in the UK (Psionic Medicine) with homeopathic remedies. I do not wish to mask my pain w/ Prednisone, but I will probably need to bite the bullet soon as my pain persists (although somewhat improved) with homeopathy.

My question for anyone on this website with PMR is I want someone to describe their pain. Does anyone feel like it's deep in the muscles and tendons vs. the actual shoulder joints?

I have searched and searched and I don't think the doctors have a clue what this pain is like.

I was a nurse for over 20 years and I know what Predinisone does and I do not wish to be on it at all, let alone as a long term solution. Nor do I wish to take Methotrexate or Plaquinill.

I don't mean to be negative. I am searching for answers.

Very Sincerely,

Kim S (USA)_ [color=indigo:b9a7bd32c2][/color:b9a7bd32c2]

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kim

I know exactly how u feel i am 39 and have the same sort of deep muscle tendon pain in my arms and shoulders but also have what feels like nerve pain shooting through my arms my whole skeleton feels loose. I have supposedly had ra for 10yrs but this pain is different to normal joint pain so confused. What doc are you seeing ? I have positive ra factor but dont want drugs feel like might be tick borne like lyme what is pmr?

Cally

• Posted

This is a very old thread - not sure if you will get an answer from Kim.

PMR is polymyalgia rheumatica - google it for an explanation or click on the links at the right side of this page.

• Posted

Kim best I can describe the pain is like all bones are covered with cling film which tightens - =pain, then loosens again = less pain. sometimes awful pain - sometimes feels like it is deep inside the bone instead of outside. The language is really tricky on this, but I hope this explains & maybe makes some sense. It is not RA which I get bursts of in some joints - different ball game altogether.... from Ireland!
  • Posted

Hi Kim,

Sounds like PMR to me as I have it and also Fibromyalgia.  I agree I would not want to take Prednisone but if you try everything you can naturally maybe a small dose may help?  I take 30 mg of Cymbalta for the FM and it was like magic.  I have osteoarthritis also so I have stiffness from that and when I feel really tough I take extra strength arthritis Tylenol once in a while.Turmeric is very good for inflamation for the PMR.  It comes on suddenly like you described how you felt and is very painful. It can was and wean which has with me.  I would try the Cymbalta (low dose) not for depression used at much higher amounts and see if that helps the PMR.  The good news is PMR can go into remission or disappear after 3 to 5 years so my doctor has told me and it did but then came back this spring.  Pacing yourself and lowering your stress level I find really helped me.  All the best, Kipppers7

• Posted

Hello kim , I am sorry that you are so much pain . I do have the start of the pain like you have . Have they put a name for what you have . I do not want to take pain killer and be on them the rest of my life .

• Posted

The patients on this forum have polymyalgia rheumatica - for which the only treatment is prednisolone. However, the symptoms can be due to a number of causes, some serious, so you need to go to the doctor so these can be checked out.
  • Posted

Miss Kim, I have, usually after 30 minutes of activity, the feeling that I am carrying a 100 pound weight in each hand.  It starts at the top of my neck and goes down into my shoulders.  I just figured it was a side effect to medication, or just age, 54.  The sensation goes away after no activity for a few hours.  
  • Posted

OMG! I just turned 53 and am going through exact same thing! I feel 90 and it all started suddenly, everything is stiff, sore, or like a pulled tendon....what is PMR? Is that what they said you have?
  • Posted

What's PMR? I have the feeling my tissue is ripping off my ribs, & back,,,off the bone..I've had arthritis since I was 12 I'll be 55 in April...mines real bad..I have donor bones in my fingers...amputated a finger with healthy bone to rebuild my thumbs again!

I have Addison's so I take cortof.....I desperately want to know why I'm hurting so bad..hugs kill me even tiny ones

im 

cindy

• Posted

Dear Kim,

It's 2:49 AM here in New York and once again, I am in too much pain to sleep. I have been suffering with the EXACT symptoms as you described for the past 9 years. I can no longer count the number of well respected doctors who have either misdiagnosed me, or could not find the ultimate source of my back pain and weakness throughout my extremities. I have explored a litany of medications, exercises and physical therapy, Eastern medicine practices, surgical procedures and spent thousands of dollars on various contraptions...NONE OF IT WORKS!!! I have found no relief from the pain I have so much to write, and so much to ask you. I was wondering if you could email me at so we could begin a dialog, compare notes and try to find a way out of this hell together.

Even if we do not ultimately end up with the same root cause for our pain...I can still relate to the suffering you endure and the tole it can take on all aspects of your life...

I eagerly await your reply

Sincerely,

Charles Jordan

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have the same symptoms. I feel like muscles are pulling me all over my body. Psychiatrists think I am crazy. I don’t know what to do
    • Posted

Judy

Put Tom Bowen in your search engine and read up on it.

PMRpro told me to try it and I resisted for about a year.  Worst mistake I ever made.

If you do decide to give it a try for the three one hour sessions for three weeks (if there is no improvement by then the therapist will tell you.  Put Bowen Therapists into the search engine and make sure they are trained.  In Australia, they have a University Degree qualification.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.