Feels like something is stuck in my throat

Posted , 51 users are following.

Okay, so.... I've been getting this feeling like something is stuck in my throat and it's really irritating. I don't know what it is. I can swallow properly and my body feels good but i've been gettin' that feeling where i feel like something is stuck in ther and i'm really scared i don't know if it's cancer or something else serious but i'm really worried and i'm 17 with alot of anxiety from it. I don't know what caused this i was recently sick but i feel great now and it's just this throat irritation. I've looked up alot about it on the internet and alot of people say it's caused by gerd (acid reflux) i don't know if that's the case though but lately i've been getting stomach aches and i really think it is caused by this gerd thing. I'm scared cause i don't know what it really is i just need answers on it so i can stop panicing about it cause everytime i panic about it i get anxeity attacks and it's really not healty for the body to be in panic all the time. I also was losing sleep cause of it but not that much no more i have gotten a good sleep last night which is a good sign. If anyone can talk me through this it would be great cause i'm young and i get scared quickly when my body doesn't feel right, i just don't want this to affect me no more cause i have been missing alot of school cause of it and it's starting to worry me more and more everyday. Thank you for taking your time to read this/ 

Sincerly, 

-kyle.

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I hope you aren't still dealing with this but if you are I would go to the doctor to get help with your anxiety. I had all the same symptoms you had/are having and it was all due to anxiety. It even got so bad once that I thought I was having a heart attack and I'm only 25! I was prescribed Zoloft before that but was scared to take it. I went to the doctor the same day I thought I was having a heart attack and asked for a medicine that would work quicker as Zoloft takes weeks to work. So I started 25 mg of Zoloft everyday and .25 my of Xanax as needed up to 3 times a day. The Xanax works wonders and I've been on Zoloft for a few weeks now and feel so much better. Don't be scared to try the medicine. It is necessary sometimes for us to live a happy, healthy life!

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Are you also suffering from Acid Reflux?

I used to suffer from severe Anxiety attacks but eventually i was able to control it and now all i'm working on is to get rid of this reflux thing.

• Posted

I have not been diagnosed with acid reflux but I do believe I have it. Sometimes when I bend over I throw up in my mouth or just when I burp and food will come up that hasn't been digested at all. I also just feel like I have to burp all the time...

• Posted

Dear Japhetrey,

Pls advise me how to get rid off acid reflux . I m suffering very bad from it.

Thank,

Tin

• Posted

Hi, I started getting this sensation a few months ago and it causes me anxiety attacks too. I would go to the doctor to have them refer you to either an ENT or to have an endoscopy done to check your throat and your stomach. Mine is caused by acid reflux. They can give you medication and it should feel better in a few weeks or a month or so.
  • Posted

I just noticed this today and I am a really bad hypochondriac also am currently waiting for my insurance to approve so my anxiety is sky rocketing 😢

• Posted

I know what you are feeling I have the same feeling in my throat . My problem is I'm a hypochondria. and I hate feeling like this it drives me crazy .

• Posted

I have like the same feeling. I feel like my throat is not clear when looking down. I have scoliosis but idont know if that affects it. i also feel weird in my ear sometimes. I have no trouble swallowing. Its not serious but it keeps bothering me.
  • Posted

i have the exact same problem and now and then it hurts to swollow im also looking for answers but not found any and its starting to bug me ive had this for over 3 weeks now
  • Posted

Hi, I know that this post is a little old, but I hope that someone could reply. I have been experiencing this feeling of something stuck in my throat for 5 days, and I am freaking out. I have anxiety but never had a panic attack, and that makes me more afraid, because I only have the feeling of a thing in my throat, but don't have any other "anxiety" symptom. I also have had reflux, but lately I have had it under control, I mean i have had it worst, and never had this odd feeling in my throat.

I am hypochondriac, and anxious, but never had this feeling in my life. I just turned 26, and the only thing that crosses my mind is "throat cancer".

Sorry if I committed mistakes with my English, but I am from Latin America, that is the reason because I am asking on this forum before going to the doctor, the health system in my country is awful, one more thing that makes me afraid of having something serious.

Sorry for the long post, hour that some one could triply. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Marion,

I don't know if this will help or not, but I am 61 and have had this sensation off and on since my 20's - and actually it's much more off than on, sometimes with years between episodes. The most difficult part of this condition, for me, is that the more you think about it and worry about it and struggle to swallow when there isn't any saliva to swallow, the worse it gets. It's very tricky to not think about it, like not thinking about a pink elephant. 😉

For me it's worse when I do have a cold with post nasal drip, or if I'm taking a medication that causes dry mouth, but once I notice it and focus on it, it becomes worse and worse. 😕 Still, I think that as long as you're focused on it and testing to see if you can swallow and poking around to see if you can find it, the worse it will get. If you can allow yourself to believe that it's not dangerous and find something to turn your thoughts too, you'll feel much better and the muscles can relax. If all else fails, try a hypnotist.

Hope this helps,

Haven

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Fortunately I am better now. The odd feeling went away two days ago. It banished like an our after I had read an article that said that throat cancer do not present like a feeling of something in your throat, this is due by the lack of feeling that we have in the inside of our throat. So throat cancer presentation is most of the time like a chronic sore throat.

OK, long story short, I passed two weeks of hell, created totally by mind.

I don't have the globus feeling anymore, but due of the tension and the lack of sleep that I passed, now I have an extremely stiff side of my neck, with all the muscles tight and sore. Every time I lift my arm it feels like I am pinching a nerve or something. Feels ackward, and like a good anxious/hypochondriac, I had my dose of worrying by these symptoms, but not like the panic that I felt due to the globus feeling.

If someone reads this, I hope that helps you, if you are having anxiety with symptoms like those I had.

Good luck for everybody. And I apologise for English again. smile

• Posted

I have the same problem feels like something is stuck in my throats all the time if I lay flat it feels like my airway is being blocked but I was recently injured on the job herniating two discs in my neck since then I have had this feeling in my throat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.