Finally admitted I have a problem

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all I'm new here as finally admitted yesterday to my husband about my drinking habits. Ive been drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a night mostly after he's gone to bed. Hiding booze topping up bottles of spirits with water so he doesn't know I've drank it. Taking bottles to bottle banks to hide it and most recently taking time off work so I can drink in the day and be sober when he gets home. Only done it twice but it's frankly terrified me as to why I would do this. So yesterday I sat him down and told him everything. Thank god ive a supportive hubby he's been concerned about my drinking for years but it's escalated to this since our last child left home. God knows why I've got a great life stressful job but money a great home. I feel so guilty and ashamed. I don't want to admit this to a Dr it's disgusting behaviour. Thankfully I didn't drink yesterday and apart from a little anxiety I'm fine. I know I now have to abstain I am an all or nothing kind of person that's how I kicked fags years ago. So today is day 2 but it's really scary to think about dealing with all the things that will come up socially with no booze. How do other people manage?

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your support. I actually didn't want to drink yesterday nor do I today I just want to get my life back on track and stop feeling ashamed. The thought of drinking and my behaviour terrifies me. Im going to give absolutely 100% to abstinence and if I find it's getting to hard I'll go down the meds route. I'm also going to try to find a private counsellor. The thought of speaking with a DR just fills me with dread and humiliation. Sadly I am proud I'm the strong one in our family I carry everyone else the go to person. Maybe that's half the problem since my mom died 14 years ago there's no one I can talk to. A counsellor might help.

• Posted

It will be hard at times Helen. But well done for 2 days and for being open with your husband. Possibly you may benefit from meds but there are some who have done it without, such as Robin. 

Months ago i was the same as you, hiding bottles and drinking like mad. The effect it had on me and my family was devastating. Without going into a long story, i lost my family for a while. They moved out and everything. There is nothing that can describe that feeling trust me, all down to me drinking. It just isnt worth it. Everyone i believe has there own rock bottom and for me that was it.

But while there were some blips along the way, my family and I are now getting back together. Moving to Scotland with them over the weekend! I am determined that there will never be any drink again. 

I didnt do meds myself but did attend support groups and a councillor. Yes it has been hard but it can be done. I think like Robin has often said, you want to get to that point where you can walk down tesco wine asile and not feel tempted. 

This forum offers a lot of help, all very supportive. I never would have got through the last four months without it to be honest. It sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders in terms of helping family and all that, maybe its time to step back and think of YOU for a while. 

There are various books that may offer support to you such as '' stop drinking now'' by allen carr. I read this back to back. Im not saying its a miracle but it does make you see drink in general differently. It will be ok hun, somehow you can get there. Also mind if you feel tempted to maybe say to your hubby. It helps to maybe make you just not do it at that moment. When you have got used to drinking so often there are points when you stop when the ''voice'' comes back in your head telling you its ok. But i have found that it does pass after a few hours maybe, so important to keep busy and as i say be open with your husband. Use this forum if your tempted too. We are all here for you. I hope you keep in touch xxx

• Posted

Thank you Sharon thank god I've admitted it before I destroyed my family the kids just think I like a glass of wine. They've shown concerns over the years but theyve no idea of the extent of how bad it's got as they've left home. Good luck with your move and well done to you x

• Posted

You will get there in your own way... take it day by day and eventually the days add up. As i call it, dont let the ''voice'' take over. I know what you mean about being an all or nothing person and i agree stopping all together is the only way. Not only was i drinking moat days but also one was never enough. My partner and i used to row about it all the time... id promise to stop and then a few weeks later, back on it again. But no more. Your family, health and well being are whats important. Try the book i mentioned maybe. Like i say we all have helped each other on this. Brilliant people! Take care x

• Posted

I don't want to sound unhelpful and it's probably just me, but why do you feel paying for a private counsellor is fine, but telling a free doctor fills you with dread and humiliation? What's the difference, apart from forking out paying someone.

• Posted

Fair enough, that's your choice and I respect you for that. All I will say is that, from personal experience once alcohol has taken control, what's on your medical records won't bother you. In fact you won't even think about it. Pride, humiliation, self worth is peanuts compared to the desperation and degradation you'll go to in order to get a drink.

Sorry if you think that's hard, but when you have literally crawled on all fours to the dustbin to drain what might be left in a bottle that's humiliation, not what illness is on your medical records. Don't expect sugar coating from me, and that's to anyone, it's about time mental health problems are not pushed away as a dirty little secret. AUD is an illness like a broken leg, would that be a problem on your medical records? Or would you suggest paying to see someone so it's not on your records

• Posted

I hear what your saying but it is my choice and I thankfully have the resources to exercise that choice.
    • Posted

As I said previously, yes it's your choice and I respect you for that

• Posted

Thank you Vicky and I respect you and others find your way too. So long as we succeed then that's the main thing. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Helen and welcome.  First step taken is the hard one - which you have now completed and passed.  From now on it is going to change.

Your post shadows myself.  Same as you - 2 bottles of wine for me - but taking bottles to the bank - check - topping up spirits with water - check.  Feeling disgusted - check.  It goes on. 

I, personally, have dropped to 2 glasses from Monday to Friday - I only did this by tapering each night little by little to avoid withdrawal.  I have been at the old bottle for 40 years - athough this last 2 years went haywire and led to 2 bottles a night.

I still have a bottle on a Saturday and Sunday in order to sleep otherwise it is 2 hours max sleep each night for me on 2 units.  I have done this without any help.  Did not fancy Alcohol Recovery (doc referred me after I fessed up -but  no thanks) nor AA - not my scene. 

Meds are a huge way to go gathering from the success stories on this forum and maybe of consideration.

I have not, as yet, read any return comments but will do so now.  I know that the responses will be great and just what you want and need to read.

I am sure we can get you sorted and you will feel a different person. 

We are always around.

G.

• Posted

Hiya

topping spirits up with water! The times I did that. Was once mortified when OH offered a friend a drink of his very expensive old malt. Problem was it was still in its box, but full of oxo and water. Only similarity was the colour!!

• Posted

OMG vicks - I have to laff - your description of oxo and water - did it not go to sediment at the bottom?! lol.  Mine to my OH was cold tea and yes he did offer it to a visitor - mortified like you say. 
    • Posted

Why on earth did we think we'd get away with it?

when friend said yes, I told OH I'd get it as I'd sorted all the cupboards out in the breakfast room and he wouldn't know where it was. Unfortunately (accidentally on purpose!),  I dropped the bottle on the granite tiles. I wouldn't let anyone help me as I didn't want them cutting themselves. Nothing to do with the smell of cold oxo!!

Yes I can laugh now

• Posted

God knows ...he poured himself a vodka and tonic the other week and it was all water. TBH how he hadn't twigged what was going on I don't know. He knows everything now though so he will help me.

• Posted

Hahaha oh Vicks, I had to laugh at that. Oxo and water! That's a good one.

Glad your still ok. We arexx

JulieAnne

• Posted

There was no sediment. There was at first, so I strained it through a Muslim cloth, job done
    • Posted

hi Julie-Anne 

so so pleased to hear TSM is working. Glad your dinner party went well

• Posted

Yeah TSM still working, Yay! Coming up to his danger time now; 3 months. No reason why the Naltrexone should suddenly stop working, its a psychological hurdle we need to clear x
    • Posted

Oh god - if it was not so serious I would p++ myself laughing.  You could be a detective - bet you wiped your fingerprints off as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.