Fit 17 yers old male with high blood preassure. Please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please help.i'm a 17 years old male. I go to gym every second day to do weightlifghting and running, and on rest days I also do some running. Just to see i measured my BP a month ago and it was 146/73/80 (I didnt do running back then) since then i have been checking it. it looks like its between 138-148 sys for 6 days, then raises to 160 and goes back to around 154 and another repeats. Pulse is always below 90 and dia is 69-81. i dont feel sick( rarely numb left hand and headache) i never had health problems, i donts smoke, stopped drinking coffee. i been to the doctor's and he said its just because im a teen no need to worry, plus dia is normal, but im worried. i started taking omega 3 today, taking magnesium, garlic extract pills, and been drinking green tea for 4 days now. thanks for the answers in advance, and sorry for gramatical mistakes, if there is any.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

First off, have you discussed your concerns with your parents?  Who advised you to take supplements and drink green tea? Please talk your parents or guardian about your medical concerns.  Print off your post and carry it to your medical doctor for advice.  Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Of course my parents know about this, but after we went to rhe doctor and got the reply that we shouldnt worry, they are nit worried anymore, only my dad, he told me to visit again... my mother told me to drink hawthorn tea yesterday, which seems effective. Also she said zhe garlic. The green tea and omega i take is because i read many forums, where they said its pretty good
  • Posted

Hi Jelzo, you have had some good advice and although you posted 22 hours ago you have not yet commented or responded to them, its good when someone has such a good response to let them know your thoughts
    • Posted

I'm glad to see you have made some comments, I still think that you should return to see your GP and ask if you can be referred to see a councillor to get to grips with your health anxiety

• Posted

Yeah im planning to ask him if i can be referred to a cardiologist or something...
    • Posted

I think you will find that you want be referred to a cardiologist for your BP as your Dr doesnt feel its abnormal, do you know what triggered your fear and constant measuring of your BP
    • Posted

Heres how it started: i didnt feel bad. At all. I know that high bp doesnt always have symptomps but i always feel numbness or headache or something. So i drank a coffee and 10 minutes later just to see we checked it. 146 sys 72 dia. Its not that high considering i drank coffee. I became stressed and scared that i will have a stroke or something and a measured daily, drink tea and so on and so on. I stress more and more and it becomes worse.
    • Posted

Your right its not high especially after drinking coffee and obviously feeling a bit anxious, you say we, who was the other person checking with you and who suggested it cause at 17 you surely wouldn't own a BP machine

• Posted

My mother felt dizzy so she checked it she was ok my cousin checked it he was ok, and then i wanted to see but no one suggested it.
    • Posted

Can you remember what it was when you went to see GP also have you taken it today after sitting quietly for 10/15 minutes as you were advised to do
    • Posted

Well, my gp he did it while i was lying down and on the right arm....... it was obviously lower:131/70 i didnt check today, because i would just stress but i will
    • Posted

You are in UK arent you, just finding it strange that your GP took it with you lying down, its a given that unless he was checking for low BP he should have taken it with you sitting upright and in your left arm to begin with, what was the reason he asked you to lie down
    • Posted

Im not in uk. Im from Hungary. Well he said it will be higher if i dont calm myself down. And he said i should be measuring it while lying down
    • Posted

Didn't think you were UK we do things different here, I hope you get it sorted, you take care and see your GP if you are still worried

• Posted

I wouldn't worry, Jelszo. If you're in Hungary you'll have access to an excellent health service - better than the UK, I'd dare to saywink.

I've lived in Belgium for 40+ years but was born in the UK and worked as a nurse in the British NHS (National Health Service) for 10 years as a young woman. I also had a lot of experience of the NHS during the final illnesses of both my parents.

Much as I miss my home country sometimes (or maybe less so since the latest developments!) I'd never want to be reliant on the NHS again. It's my understanding that the Hungarian health service is excellent, right up there with France or Belgium - and cheaper than the latter too.

I'm sure you'll have access to a general health check-up every year, and you should certainly take this up, given that there seems to be some history of heart disease in your family. To put that into perspective though, many people develop cardiovascular problems later in life, so it doesn't necessarily mean there's any specific problem in your genes.

Other than that, just get on with studying, exercising and (I hope) having fun. All this has obviously been a minor attack of perfectly normal teenage angst. We all go through that. I can remember thinking I had all kinds of diseases when I was your age too. Fortunately the internet didn't exist then, so I was limited to the health section of the public library, which didn't offer the same possibilities for scaring myself to death.

Oh, and your English is excellent. Congratulations!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.