Follow up

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well, tomorrow's the day I finally see my surgeon for my follow up appointment. That will 11 weeks and 2 days since my tkr. Wonder what he'll say? 😀

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

He'll do the alignment x-ray and tell you you're OK.  Measure your ROM and tell you to keep up the work.  Next visit should be at 1 year.  Finish your ROM work, rebuild quads, glutes and core, master stairs and you're done.  All the pain and stiffness will slowly fade...

• Posted

Just out from my appointment. Surgeon was very happy with my bend, he didn't measure it, just said it's great. Perfectly straight as was. Happy happy happy 😁😁

• Posted

Last two things to do...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

At 14 months post-op, I could climb up TWO stairs at a time without holding onto anything.  Part of doing the strengthening of your muscles also restores your balance.  Your body has to start working synergistically again...all parts flowing as one.  Takes work, time and patience...but you'll get there.  I'm 21 months now...almost like it never happened...almost...  Not a bad tradeoff...

• Posted

😁😊

Mine did not measure mine either, I don't think they do in the UK!

That's great!

• Posted

Ye, I would've liked to have know but hey ho, he said I'm doing great so that's good enough for me 😁

• Posted

It's just a number...don't get hung up on it.  If you're on the floor with your leg straight and the back of your knee touches the floor, you're good.  If you can bend your leg pretty well past 90-degrees, you're good.  My PT told me that if 10 PTs/docs measured you, you'd get 10 different sets of numbers.  They just put that guide on the side of your leg and "eyeball" it anyway.

Also, some people are intent on getting the highest bend number possible...in excess of 140.  DON'T DO THAT!!!  First, it's completely unnecessary to get past 130-135...there's no benefit.  Second, if you think you're going to touch your heel to your butt (161-degrees), that ain't gonna happen.  But the worst part is the device itself...they aren't manufactured to bend that far.  If you do that, you're probably exceeding the limits of the device which will shorten its life...and for what?  Some stupid number?  Think about it...

• Posted

I know you're right. It's just you read on here about others and it gets you wondering. I can sit on a chair and tuck both my feet under so that seems fine. Just the stairs to manage, I can do going up but not going down. I'm going to have a look at your link. Thanks again 😁

• Posted

Chico, you say about putting the back of your knee in the floor. I am 8 weeks in and cant straighten and therefore cannot do this. Prob 5 degrees away so physio said. Therefore I cannot do leg lifts either. My bend is 100 if i really push it. Should i be worried,  as I have been, but physio not saying much about that. Still have crutches when out as a bit unstable.
    • Posted

Sounds like you're right on track.  Everyone gets their ROM back in their own time...depending on the amount of work they put into it.  Yes, there are those who generate tons of scar tissue and need MUAs.  Those patients usually exhibit very limited ROM early on and stay that way no matter what they do.  Again, everyone is different.  If you are -5 / +100 and still in PT, then that sounds right.  I started at -14 / +84 and did PT 2X/week for 10 weeks.  Ended up at -1 / +123.  At 21 months, I'm about 0 / +133.  For the majority of us, it just takes time, work and patience.  There are no schedules or timetables.

The instability is caused by your dead quads, gutes and core.  Rebuild those muscle groups to support the knee and you'll be back to normal.  Again, time, work, patience.  Also on the ROM...  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus.  This is NOT a linear recovery (see the picture).  I got stuck at -4 for weeks before breaking through.  All part of the game.

• Posted

Thanks Chico for your reply. I am just panicking. Was extreemly fit before and have been doing so much exercising since I expected to be further down the line. As you always say...its not a race. I will try and be more patient and relaxed!
    • Posted

You're panicking because your mind is full of unrealistic expectations and "so much exercising" is probably overworking the knee.  Back off...relax.  The knee will heal at its own rate regardless of what you think...and the overexertion makes it worse.  I once totally pushed a hip replacement to complete recovery in six weeks TOTAL...5 hours a day, six days a week, therapy pool and gym.  Started 10 days after the op and nailed it.  The knee is a TOTALLY different animal.  Took a full year...period.  You CANNOT push a knee...it just bites you back.  Do your work diligently but increase gradually.  Patience is something very many TKR'ers have to learn.

• Posted

Chico, your link on mastering stairs is the opposite to the advice I was given from the physio at the hospital. I was told good leg up then follow with bad and bad leg down and follow with good
    • Posted

Yes, it has been a very controversial post.  I was taught the way I described in the discussion.  Think about it...

You use your GOOD leg to go up to the next step and drag the bad one behind you.  Question...  How does that increase the strength of the bad leg?  How does that allow you to work the muscle to gain your strength back?  Think about the plain physics of it.  There CANNOT be any gain in strength by just dragging the bad leg behind you.  It's just common sense.

I followed the routine as described, got my strength back and was climbing up TWO STAIRS AT A TIME by 14 months and I wasn't holding onto any railing for balance.  The results speak for themselves but everyone gets to make their own choice.

• Posted

Interesting....I used both methods...the good leg up first in the early weeks and the operated leg up first around 3 month-ish period.

I think as the operated leg heals and if it is strong enough, letting it take the lead mskes a lot of sense!

Now it always does because it is a lot stronger than the other one, 😀😁😃

• Posted

I started bad leg first.  PT had me doing that halfway through the 10 weeks.  It was REALLY difficult.  Could not do it at first without bouncing up or dragging myself by the railing.  But I KEPT DOING IT and the muscles got stronger.  Dragging the bad leg makes absolutely no sense in terms of building muscle strength...no sense at all.

Personally, I've heard of both methods in different countries.  I just think it's the way the PTs are taught in school and they just follow what they learned. But...

Can you imagine having a bi-lateral in one day and then doing this WHEN THERE IS NO GOOD OR BAD LEG???  Egads...inconceivable...  Those people are true heroes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.