Funny tingling all over body

Posted , 93 users are following.

Hi everyone!

For about 6 weeks now, off and on, I've had this weird tingling all over my body.

At times it'll be concentrated in one place (like pins and needles) in both my feet or a hand or a shin. And then other times like tonight, it'll be like little sudden twitches of tingling...almost like a little buzzy, tingling insect. So tonight, buzz on my top lip and then my scalp and then my big toe and then my thumb and then my cheek. I go to scratch myself to make it stop (though it's definitely on the inside....not like a skin condition).

I went to the doctors about 4 weeks ago and he was very dismissive. Said it wouldn't be anything serious as neurological stuff would involve chronic persistent pins/needles in one specific area. I was texted for thyroid and glandular fever (as I mentioned I'd had a really bad cold and sore throat and that's when it seemed to have started). Both tests came back normal.

It's very annoying. I do have sciatica and wonder if that's causing it? The little tingles all over are keeping me awake right now!

Perhaps I should go back to the docs? To be honest, he made me feeling like a raving hypochondriac last time (despite the fact he could see from my records is not been to the doctors in over 10 years, apart from an A&E visit for a broken foot!).

Any ideas?

1 like, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just came across this thread after Googling symptoms described by grace50435; I have similar, almost the same issues, including sciatica, which I have had for over 30 yrs. The skin sensations I have had on and off for over 25 yrs, but recently it has been continual in it's precence , although it 'moves around', and is a stronger or lesser feeling.

I recently went to the Doctor, who did blood - all fine, and a neurologist sent me for MRI on back and brain (I also have a meningioma, which seems fine).  All looks good, and they will check again in 6 months.

So... having been used to this feeling on and off for years, I do now have it full time, but the reason I went to the doctor is that now when I drive for more than an hour, thge sensation in my left buttock, groin area and left leg (sometimes right leg) is so uncomfortable that it makes driving very unpleasant.

It appears grace50435's condition simply 'sorted itslef out', but as mine appears to be getting worse over the years, I would be very inetested if anyone here has had a positive diagnosis of anything ...

thanks in advance, julie

• Posted

Hi Julie. My MRI has come back all clear ... I've been having chronic headaches as well as tingling. The only thing that we've found so far is vitamin d deficiency. And a supplement has helped the tingling but not the headaches. I am being diagnosed with chronic migraine.. which may be hormonally linked as I'm 54

• Posted

Hi Moira, thank you for you update.  Sorry about the chronic headaches, that's not fun!   Do you mean the Vit D supplement has helped the tingling? I don't think that would be my issue as I walk dogs, and walk for fun, so my Vit D level is probably good.

Don't suppose your headaches could be related to a trapped nerve, or your posture in some way? If you are diagnised with migraine have the doctors suggessted anything that will help? presumably hormone therapy of some sort if it is hormonal? I think I will look into the hormone imbalance that abbey64999 (?) posted, although as this is a condition I have had on some level for 30 years, I am not sure I will find a solution, but no doubt it is good infomration to be aware of.

Thanks again, Julie

• Posted

Hi all.  Ive had same symptoms, with headache, for months.  The resulting fatigue also gets overwhelming.  And the tingling gets itchy.  When the front of my knees and my butt went tingly, I made an MS appt.  2 MD visits, labs are good.  Im being referred to a rheumatologist next.  Not glad, but reassuring, to find others with these weird symptoms....and we are still alive!  

I do have history of high antinuclear antibodies (ANA), and spinal stenosis with arthritis and degenerative disk disease. 

• Posted

Omg am so happy to come across this site! I am a self confessed hypochondriac with severe anxiety...same as you started about 6 weeks ago in both my hands though...last week my hands calmed down a bit but now I have a slight tingle all over my body / face...doc done bloods my folate was low prescribed me folic acid but now she wants me to have an MRI cause my necks so weird right now feels like it's to heavy for my body and it can be sore I feel it needs stretched (the only way I can describe it) but the pins in needle feeling my anxiety has went sky high and I have been crying for 2 days as I have now googled and convinced myself I have ms

• Posted

Hi Kimberley. It's really funny that you say your neck feels too heavy, as for a couple of weeks my head felt too heavy for my body. I have had bloods done and my vitamin d was low. I've also had an MRI done 2 weeks ago but no results yet. I've developed a continuous headache and a lump in my neck. It's very frustrating not to know what's going on, but I'm beginning to think I have a few isolated problems rather than MS or something similar. So I wouldn't get too stressed yet as MS is still pretty rare. But do persist in getting tested as you need an answer. Will keep you posted as I should get my results soon. Please keep me posted on yours. Moira

• Posted

Hey moira thanks for getting back

Hope u get the results back soon and it's positive news

Do u have ms?

I hurt my neck last year on a speed boat , ended up with torticolitis (can't spell) for 2 days was very sore couldn't move my neck or anything

Then about 4/5 months ago I hurt my neck again on dodgems

I am only 28 and have 2 kids age 9&6 so I kinda get forced to go on these things (I really love them ) 😂🤣

My heart is telling me it's comming from my neck

But my head well anxiety wins all the time until proven otherwise

• Posted

Hi again. If you've had a few neck injuries then that may well explain your tingling .. I'm glad they're doing an MRI for you to confirm it. The results of my MRI are now with my GP but the soonest they can see me is July 12th so I'm guessing something has shown up but they don't consider it serious. I'll keep you posted. I'm 53 and my kids are now teenagers, but even at my age they told me MS was very unlikely. I know how worrying it us though as I've been persistent in trying to get some answers. I'll let you know when I've seen the GP. Hope you're feeling a bit better in the meantime. M

• Posted

Hi moria,

It is unlikely that you have ms because ms symptoms usually come on one side of the body as they are characterized by periods of flare and remission ... You can diagnose ms in a simple MRI test ...

• Posted

Kimberley, How are you now?  I keep telling my boyfriend I have MS...as if its a foregone conclusion.  LOL.  rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Kimberly. I know exactly how you feel. Ive convinced myself I have MS too. I’ve been experiencing tingling/numbness feeling in the back of my head and cheeks. I’ve also felt some weakness in my left arm. I do struggle from Vitamin D deficiency. I scheduled an appointment with a neurologist, but wasn’t able to get in until late May. I’ve been worried about a possible stroke too. I’m only 33 and suffer from anxiety also.
  • Posted

Hi grace

Iam haveing the same symptoms

Tingling all over my body get these wierd twitching aswell its been 2 weeks now

Iam haveing tingling all over face and neck aswell

Some times get burning sensetions on legs and arms hands

Doctors are confused of what to do and what it could be ,

Has anything worked for you ? Or have you found what this could be ?

Iam in need off any help please

• Posted

Ladies, how old are you? If you are peri or menopausal tingling is a symptom of menopause. Here is a good article with great info. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hormone imbalance does not discriminate. I had it in my early 20s and I had tingling in my hands. The moderator removed the link to the article that talked about estrogen imbalance and tingling. It was adressed to menopausal women, but you can do a web search for "estrogen imbalance and tingling" or "hormonal imbalance and tingling" and you may find information that may help no matter the age. Hormonal imbalance can cause all sorts of things, depending on the person. In some it causes acne, in others it can be insomnia, depression, tingling sensation etc., etc. In my humble opinion it is worth investigating the hormonal imbalance when all else fails. On a medical clinic site calcium deficiency was linked to tingling as well. Hope this hormonal imbalance connection may help someone here. When it comes to hormons every person is diferent. Even if the blood test comes "normal"  what is normal for one person can be out of balance for another. Unfortunately, doctors stop at "your blood work is within normal parameters" thus we have to be proactive and further investigate ourselves. There are a lot of topical, natural hormonal balancing lotions/ creams out there that can be investigated. Cheers, good luck, and good health to all. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for the info

I have a hormone imbalance and have had for 13 years that I am aware of

I have pcos

The tingling actually has settled so to be honest I think it was anxiety with me

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, are you on some form of social media like kik where we can chat? I need someone to chat to in more depth I feel, I'm crying out for help here, is driving me crazy!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.