Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Has anyone had the corrective procedure for Sphincter of Oddi post op probkems?

From what I've read the cure is as bad or worse than the ill and has severe risks of complications....

scary stuff!!

• Posted

I was on an sod forum and not one person had a positive outcome from the procedure, in fact most were actually worse afterwards.
  • Posted

After almost 2 years of going through nausea and vomitting without any accurate diagnosis, I finally got 2 stones in my gall bladder when I went to just see how everything was inside my abdomen. strange how it hide away all these years. it was 1.8 cm 11mm pretty big enough to not been seen in any ultra sound before. my liver used to be inflammed and my SGPT were always used to be high. I used to get severe migraine attacks, and pain behind my ears. I had gone through endoscopy and a barium meal test, Elisa HiV, hepatitis A B C D, and what not but all had nothing. everything was normal. they told me it was functional dyspepsia, some said it's gastritis which I could never believed. I had a history of jaundice 2 times and one case of food poisoning.

but It was gall bladder that got me in the OT. It's one of those things which can give you a hard time just to be found out. Anyways, I got it removed laproscopically 19 dec 2013, I had way too much beared the pain and the surgery pain felt nothing when I got it removed. I left hospital in 16 hours. I was up walking nicely after 5 hours and wanted back my home but it took me almost 20 hours to be back.

felt good for a month, with the medicines given, I had no problems. I was driving, eating normally and bowel movements were fine. but then after stopping medicines, in a week my bowel movement changed, I got trouble in passing stool, and one day bright red blood came out with the stool. this was first time and kept me thinking, Nausea and vommiting started as well, untill a saw blood again and decided to go to my doctor. I met him and got ultrasound, stool test and blood test done. ultrasound was normal, stool had no sign of blood and my sgpt was high again.

the doctor suspected infection in the intestine. so he put me on medications and IM injections. I have to meet him again if see blood or feel anything. I saw blood again with my stool and I still feel nausea and vomit. the next step is colonscopy, then biopsy then again some stupid tests. I am tired of these tests and medications now. I don't know what is this disease and I don't care. the pain doesn't matter anymore.

after going through all these things even now, I don't want anyone to panic. relax, I am fine. I still weight 69 kgs and look healthy and handsome. I know every further test is going to find normal or it will end in such disease that can't be cured. the only thing you can do is love your body. it needs fresh air, not much stress, happiness, love, little excercise, care and rest.

work on this to make myself better. bes of luck to you all.

• Posted

Hi. Had my gallbladder out last April 2013. Had suffered right shoulder pain and discomfort for 8 years. I had over 30 stones when removed. Everything great until December 2013 when I started having pain in my right shoulder blade area again ( this is where I experienced 99% of my pain before I had gallbladder out) . Also had sharp pain where I imagine gallbladder once was. I googled and ended up convincing myself something more sinister was going on ie cancer, so went to gp. Got re referred to my surgeon and have appointment on Wednesday for consultation and ? MRI scan.

Very worried,

Finding the posts on here though strangely reassuring as I'm not the only one. I really hoped it would be over and done with after gallbladder removed but no such luck. Pain tends to come after I've eaten. Not as bad as it used to be, but it's the same pain and discomfort. 😟

• Posted

Can you tell me what the doctor said? I am in the same boat & I unfortunately don't have insurance so anything any information helps.
  • Posted

Hi Maxine

it sounds like you have a condition called sphincter of oddi dysfunction.It can happen afterGB removal or as in my case a suspected stone passed through.If you google it there is lots of info on it.

• Posted

Thanks Jane, I will look. You say in your case about a stone passing through? Was they one left in or a new stone that was formed?
  • Posted

Jane40765

I was afraid that was going to be the case....probably why Dr's don't want to talk about the sphincter of Oddi dysfunction...they know that, stastically, it's not very effective and more dangerous too....if my gall bladderhadn't been so wrecked and sending stones migrating into tge duct work i would probably toughed it out...

but it was diseased and Dr said it could rupture....my father in law's gb DID rupture last year and set up

gangrene...so even though l have significant pain 24/7/365 now l wouldn't want to be dealing with gangrene!

I've found that my hot water bottle is my best friend....l lie with it directly under my ribcage fot 20-30 minute before I try to sleep and rolling/folding a bath towel and lying on my yoga mat with it under myrib cage.opens up the muscles and lets me get the tension out of that area for a little while....and getting my sweet

husband to massage the area with Arnica oil helps reduce some of the muscle soreness that goes along

with getting so tense from the never ending pain...such a nusiance!

Thanks Jane40756 and all of you for your kindness and encouragemennt.....I'm trying to focus on staying

positive and not whine!

BeBe1988

• Posted

Do you put a warm water bottle over the side? I use any bottle and lay on it flat on my back to ease the pain. I've used vitamin bottles, glass bottles, big candles smile Anything to put pressure on the pain.
  • Posted

Hi Maxine

They said it was possibly a new stone that formed and passed, as scan showed nothing so they left gallbladder in. SOD can also be related to other gastro problems. I also have oesphagitis and diverticuler disease.To be honest I feel so let down by the consultants as they have diagnosed this awful condition and then said theres nothing they can do.

• Posted

Hi Bebe

Yes the drs are not at all helpful with this condition. I feel very let down by them, its as though they're not interested. There is no specific medication for it and the surgery is very risky, so most won't do it, but they could be more understanding.I live with my hotwater bottle too, I have heat markings from it!! Its a horrible pain and because food makes it worse, it makes me very depressed, and unfortunately I found antidepressants also made it worse. I can be a viscious cycle as I find it also causes anxiety which in turn makes it worse.

I was prescribed Diazepam and sleeping tablets a few years ago after a family tragedy, and I find these help when its really bad. To be honest I dont think the drs really know what causes it as its not been researched enough.it is hard to stay positive as it is so debilitating and scary, so your're not whining.

Thank goodness for the forums, before I found one felt so desperate and alone.I was on a really good sod forum before but it kept getting spammed.

it does help to know others are in the same situation and that we're not all imagining it.

take care.

• Posted

OMG, I am glad I found this website, the forum. I have been posting & the more I search the more I find people with the same situation. I am so down right now, I feel alone, hopeless, and depressed with this constant pain. I had my gallbladder removed in July of 2013 and in the last few months I have gotten the horrible pains and just last Saturday I started with the vomiting. Yesterday & today have been the worse, I have to work & the only comfort I have found....JUST A LITTLE...is standing up & taking walks or else it comes with a vengeance. The ribcage from back to front except now, my stomach is really bloated that my pants are safety pinned...not because they don't close but because it really hurts to have something on my stomach. It has a burning sensation. I haven't slept in the last 3 nights...I comes around 3am and when I am at work around 3ish too! Scary. I am soooo, sooo tired of this constant nag of a pain. I REGRET getting my out, doctors lie. I would have rather dealt with the pains once a month than every day.
    • Posted

I AM HAVING MY GB REMOVED THE 28TH OFMAY BUT DR. TOLD ME I ALSO HAD GASTROPAROSIS ALONG WITH  GB THAT IS ONLY WORKING AT 3% MEANING NOT EVEN WORKING PLEASE LOOK UP

GASTROPAROSIS THIS CAUSES SO MUCH PAIN SAME AS GB MY GP

TOLD ME TO BUY THE BULLET AND TO CHANGE MY DIET NO FAT AND NO FIBER NO FRESH FRUIT OR VEGGIE NO WHEAT CHEW EVERY THING UNTIL ITS MUSH AND FRUIT BLENDED THIS HAS HELPED WITH BURNING IN THE TUMMY AND BACK PAIN TRY CHANGING YOUR DIET AFTER LOOKING UP GASTROPAROSIS DIET  

• Posted

Hi Jane, thanks for that. Well my gb gone so all I need is something else to replace the pain!!!! I feel let down too, and only after reading and looking at posts like these I realise I wasn't very well informed by the hospital regarding follow up and possible further implications. Rather I think they just advised to get gn out to cure the problem ( there was one as 30 stones proves that but I had no follow up or advice about diet, long term problems or short term ones for that matter) . I will raise this tomorrow when I see them , and mention sod, but it sounds like they may not be receptive of that explanation, will let you know!

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.