Gastric band - next week!!! Ahh

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello!

Any post op gastric banders out there?! 

I've got my op on 24th and starting to get a bit nervous but very excited about the future! 

I'm on the milk diet and finding it quite tough, not as bad as I thought but I'm struggling with the salty drink as I can't stand gravy or anything like that!

Please help! 

X

0 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am due my band next Saturday & I start my pre op diet tomorrow!! After reading the most recent comments I am now feeling really anxious & upset! 
    • Posted

Hi kb175! 

What bit worries you?

I too am getting nervous! 

Don't like the sound of injecting myself, haven't heard that before so I'm hoping it's not post op related?! 

X

• Posted

What rose-e-cheeks said about being so under nourished she had a break down! It being too tight & not being able to eat anything or no restriction at all... Infections.... Injections? I was not told about that! I can only book a week and a half off work, so worried it won't be enough time to rest & heal. My partner is so against it & I have gone from feeling positive & ready for a new me, better health etc. 
    • Posted

To now feeling scared, worried & very anxious. 
    • Posted

The way I look at it is that everyone has different experiences with EVERYTHING in life! 

My mum for example had (&still has)  a gastric band 8 years ago and she has had a good success! Lost 12 stone and had kept it off. She doesn't eat a lot but still goes out for meals and just has a smaller portion or a starter as a main that sort of thing. 

My partner too isn't too keen but he is better now than when I first mentioned it!

It's the price I'm willing to pay to be slim and healthy! 

What do you do for work? 

I'm a nurse in a hospital and my surgeon said 1 - 2 weeks, just depends what you do I guess x

• Posted

That is reassuring to hear, a friend of a friend had one and had great results... Four years on 8 stone lighter & able to enjoy most foods BUT there is that BUT & I feel better for your wise words, thanks! 

I have a part time office job with the council, Inhave not told my line manager etc & I would like to keep it that way. I have not made this decision lightly & the thought of being slim & healthy & happier is what I want most! 

My op is all booked, no going back now..... 8 days to go. 

Thank you so much for your support x No one I know understands, I don't at this stage want all my family to know. 

So thanks once agin xx

• Posted

Your very welcome! Maybe we can help each other through this! Mine is next Friday the 24th! 

I actually had a bit if a wobble last weekend, thinking about how much I love good! Should I cancel? Should I put it off until the new year? NO! As you say there's no turning back now as it's next week! I could put it off and put it off some more!

I'm in the milk pre op diet as I had to start 2 weeks before the big day!! It is hard and makes you have even more negative thoughts and doubts but just hang on in there! The first few days are tough but just got to keep focused and eye on the prize!

I have only told a few people, parents (not brothers!) grandparents and 3 people at work as my job is very hard going and I may need help with lifting etc! But your manager doesn't have to know, especially if your having it as annual leave?! If you need a sick note then just ask for it to say keyhole procedure. That's what my surgeon said he would do for me and that work don't even need to know about the procedure!! 

I can't wait to be healthy, I'm only 23 but I'm so unhealthy and I have about 10 stone to lose -  it's disgusting! I am so ready for this!

• Posted

I am so embarrassed and ashamed to say that only the 2nd day into my pre op diet i feel starving & miserable! I am on meal replacement shakes & soups. I dont know if its because my diet has drastically changed, as i have been over doing it; knowing its my final "supers". I needperseverance, self control & determination! I might start writing s diary journal! xx
    • Posted

It is such a hard thing to do! All I keep thinking about is food! 

If it helps...I had to start mine 2 weeks before op and I'm only allowed the following daily;

I have to have; 4 pints semi skimmed milk

2 pint water

1 pint stock

And I'm allowed a sachet of sugar free jelly a day!

The first days are the hardest with the diet but it's so important you stick to it! I think this is the first diet I've 100% stuck to! 

Just think you only have a matter of days to stick to it & then it's the op, so hang on in there! 

Keep your mind busy, watch a film, read a book, go for a walk, drink lots of water! 

You can do it! You have to! Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I really need this support, the few people that know do not get it or understand & my partner is being really unsupportive & is at this moment frying chicken!! I have to just be so strong! Will take your advice & go for a walk & clear my head. 

Thank you so much for your invaluable support xx 

• Posted

Your very welcome!

It is so tough as no-one can really appreciate what we are going through/preparing for!

My partner also eats infront of me, I tell him it's ok but for the first few days I made him eat elsewhere! Try and eat at the same time as him, or have a bath/walk when he is cooking and eating!

It's so hard when people eat infront of me! And because hardly anyone knows they are not trying to be sensitive about it!

I will say though, I have had to control myself as since on this pre op diet I have been extra sensitive, emotional, angry etc but i know it's because of I'm starving and anxious about op! I could of easily started a thousand rows with anyone and everyone but you just have to think its down to the diet! 

Not long now! I have my pre-assessment tomorrow, blood tests ahhhhh!! Xx

• Posted

Thank you thank you thank you! I have got myself together & going for a walk... I need to readjust & get into a different mind set.... I will of couse get easily irritated & I am already... only 2 days in!? I had my bloods taken @consultation as I just wanted to speed process up & not go away & change my mind! I have to keep telling myself this a LIFE change & a NEW me!!! Nothing in life comes easy xx

• Posted

Good for you! 

It will be so much better on the other side! We will be able to actually eat!

I'm day 10 pre op diet and I must say I am pretty miserable but it's improving and I am now just counting the days! 

Hope your taking your multi-vitamins and minerals! 

Xx

• Posted

Yes I am! I went Holland & Barrets & stocked up! Now that I am out walking (just taking a pitt stop, lol) I feel a bit better. I will keep myself busy when I get back in & have an early night x 
  • Posted

I need to stay positive & strong & think long term.... I have been bingeing up to now, trying to get as much as i can in before diet... But I just feel bloated & greedy &'know I need to make drastic changes ASAP! I feel flat & low about my weight & it has got out of control, I have around 8.5 stone to lose if not more so I understand you totally! I do not want everyone I know knowing, I have kept it to a minimum. 

I will start pre op diet tomorrow & as hard as it gets just keep telling myself it's the start of my journey! Will you exorcise? I joined gym.... Just need to start going!

• Posted

That's the spirit! 

I'm too embarrassed at this weight to go to the gym but I do enjoy swimming so I will pick that back up!

It will be so much easier to exercise when we have lost some weight! 

Can't wait x

• Posted

I feel the same, I feel so self conscious at moment.... but all that will soon change! 

The big count down starts now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.