Getting in out out of the bath tub

Posted , 13 users are following.

Question - probably more for the ladies - but all responses are welcome. 2 months post op and showering is fine, but really want to take a nice hot bubble bath, but cant seem to figure out how to get out of the tub since my bend is just ok... and suggestions... 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm three months post op and I still wouldn't try a tub bath.  I've been through too much without breaking a rib or further injuring my poor leg.  I sit on a stool in the shower and it works just fine.  I still have a lot of swelling because I can not use anti inflammatories.  I'm slowly getting my bend but it is centimetre by centimetre but that is just me and my peculiar anatomy even though I've done all the exercises till I'm nuts.    If you have a new TKR you do not want a UTI.  I hope my other knee never needs this surgery.  I've had allergic reactions even to laxatives!  

• Posted

Picture.  Simple.  Have some in the shower and on the tub.  ALWAYS make sure you pull hard first to check them.  They are suction and not permanently fixed (screwed down) so they do come loose over time.  Just flip the two ends, push down and flip the ends back.
    • Posted

This is great - never knew I could get these and they are suctioned !! Thank you !
    • Posted

Chico - you give such great advice to all of us on this forum and I would just like to personally say THANK YOU  - I have never had any surgeries in my life so this one was a real EYE opener for me and as we discussed I am still very frustrated 2 months post op and have so much swelling and that tight ass band that is around my knee is constantly there and prevents me from some exercises. I have started to get depressed but your post are helping me and lifting my spirits, I actually skipped PT today ( I do 3 times a week faithful ) but he holidays got me down in the dumps ( both parents are deceased , had to order all my daughters presents on line and when they came they were all from Xiang China and pieces of junk) so i go to this post and you are always so helpful and positive and very knowleand show us links to help us... thanks to you my friend, I am BACK on the PT bandwagon starting tomorrow - thank you so much smile #myhero 
    • Posted

Just for you, here's a "collection" of some of my more "uplifting" discussions...in case you missed any...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-power-of-rest-some-great-strategies-to-try-on-a-tkr-617892

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-strong-594566

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

I had a heated discussion with someone over a year ago about my information and, sometime, tone.  I'm a Sicilian from Brooklyn...grew up in Mafia Land.  Short, incisive, to the point...most of the time.  I try very hard to get people out of their "Fantasyland" of expecting a full recovery in three months.  Sometimes, ya gotta shake these people up...and I have little tolerance for people who will not get the point of all this: work, time and patience...and instead just whine.  I've had 29 ops in the last 18 years...#30 on spine again next month and #31 in another TKR in a year or so.  You pay a heavy price for being a hockey goalie/defenseman for 45+ years.This is the hardest op I've ever had to deal with...ever.  It's not easy and it's very painful plus the recovery is slow and long...the perfect storm of pain, process and duration.  But we ALL get through it...so why not do it with a bit of style and laughter...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/two-guys-with-canes-limp-into-a-bar--53498

I married my high school "sweetheart" in 1971 at the age of 23...eleven years later she was dead from breast cancer...our daughter Kate was 5.  It taught me a very hard lesson at a young age to not expect anything out of this life.  You enjoy the good with all your heart and soul and flip-off the bad with a fully-extended middle finger.  No other way.  Sometimes, the "bad" takes a while to get past...like this recovery.  So you bite the bullet and never, ever let it control you or beat you...EVER!!!  Two taps to the head...leave the gun...take the cannoli...bury the body in The Meadowlands in Jersey.  That's what you do with your "issues"...and move on.  There is so much out there to enjoy and be thankful for.  I will not die a bitter old man because of the crap that's happened to me.  I WILL use all the life I've been given and die a dried-up sponge...down to the last drop.

But that's just me...I could be wrong and have Wiley Coyote drop the classic 16-ton weight on my head tomorrow.  Oh well...

• Posted

I like your to the point answers , takes all the BS out of the equation. I dont come on this site looking for cookies n cream - I come for cold hard facts and real life examples, so personally I like your tone and your information, it is obvious that you have been there done that... So sorry about your wife, and can totally agree with how you see life, and how to keep going and moving forward, thanks my friend  - checking out your links now. 
  • Posted

thank you for asking this,I so want to soak i a tub of hot scented water. But with two tkrs (4 & 7 months apart) I'm terrified I'll be stuck in the tub forever. practice on the floor first i guess

• Posted

not sure how your bathroom is set up but I was able to hold on to a bar (my dad installed for me, from wall to wall), bend my knee over the top of the bath and pull myself up with my arms and my good leg. I had a chair right out side of the bath to be able to sit on right after. The hardest/scary thing for me was slipping so just make sure you feel confident. Baths were my safe haven post op so couldn't give them up haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.