Getting really nervous

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Only five days to go for colonoscopy, I'm getting so nervous and anxious, imagining all sorts in my head even though I'm trying to stay positive, I suppose if the pain a nd nausea would ease I might feel less frightened, thanks for all your support along the way, hoping for a good result on Thursday

1 like, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate I don't recall why you are having a colonoscopy try not to b nervous stress is terrible for our condition is your doc gonna do it even if your already in pain?

• Posted

Tks Ellen, yes they will do it no matter how you feel, but fingers crossed for a good outcome, again Tks for your support
  • Posted

Kate, 

Deep breaths. You are going to be fine. Three weeks ago, I was exactly where you are. We are here for you and rooting for you!!

• Posted

Hi Kate I have have several Colonoscopy's over the years and the only advice I would give you is to have the sedation. You have to stay in the hospital for 2 hours after and have some one to take you home and stay with you all night, but it's better than the alternative. Some people have no problem with it. If you are of a nervous disposition it's the best thing to do. Don't worry, I sure everything will be alright. 

• Posted

Tks Susan for your kind words, I will have sedation, couldnt go without, it's the result I'm afraid of, I've had pain for two months now and been feeling generally yuk

• Posted

hi Kate, sedation? I thought you get sedated during a colonoscopy, is there Diff kinds? Im like you so freakishly freaking out. I was lucky to get mine for Tuesday they had cancellations. I’ll keep you posted, and prayers for you . Just try to stay positive, and not catastrophise it all to much. I’m going to try to do the same. I’m here for ya Hugs. 
    • Posted

Hi vickie you can have mild or full sedation, ask for full, I know how nerous you, its only natural but you will be fine, uc means ulcerative colotis

• Posted

Yeah , and being anxious doesn’t help. I will definitely ask for full. How are you feeling? I’m having a hard day , started last night, 😑 so seriously over this! I want to feel humane again and go back to work. 

• Posted

hi Susan, did you have discomfort after colonoscopy? I had 6 polyps removed and a scrape on colon sent for biopsy, have severe diverticulosis in 3 spots. Today have a lot of tenderness and discomfort is this normal?
  • Posted

Just wanted to fill you in on something that I have been going through past 2 days, really upset over it. , I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork for new GI Dr. Wanted to know my last colonoscopy date and results, so I called my old GI Dr to get info. It was done back in May 2015 , results 2 sm polys removed and small trace diverticulitis. WTF, he never gave me nothing nor explained nothing bout it to me, said I was fine see u in 5 years. So I called my Dr and they received the results in June 8 and never did a follow up or nothing to educate me on it. So this past 4 months is my first Flare up. So 😡 If I was told what it is and how to change my way of living and eating I maybe would not be in this mess! Just wanted to share with ya . Hugs

• Posted

Hi vickie I did my colonoscopy July 2015 she diagnosed me with diverticulotis send me home with paperwork ( I still have it) saying it was extremely rare for it to go to diverticulitis and only suggestion was to start consuming more fiber and reschedule in 10 years Having 2 infections in about 10 weeks I finally got into her office and she told me there's no rhyme or reason as to why it progresses into diverticulitis in some people but not in others I'm with you WTF why us !

• Posted

I so agree, question, so I’m pretty sure I ate something that didn’t agree with me last night I had bad bloating, bad spasms, and gas. Ugh, so uncomfortable 😣 I had a normal bum this morning but still having spasms and gas. How long does it take to settle after you ate something your tummy didn’t agree with? Or is it something else? 

• Posted

And what suggestions for some comfort, I had cream of wheat for breakfast, some tea, and am now doing beef bone broth and a few crackers. 
    • Posted

Well it depends your food intake today sounds good from what I understand 3 days liquid diet and then slowly add soft foods although I have been so careful with food and still sick waiting for another cat scan with contrast next month then colonoscopy in August I will have 1 day with menstrual type cramping then doubled over the next 2 I am so lost with this disease!
    • Posted

So sorry you are in so much pain, I’d go to ER and demand a Cat Scan, you have Diverticulitis and having a possible flare. Are u on antibiotics? I Already did liquids, then soft, then started adding fiber, diff veggies and fruits. Salmon and chicken. I have lost 35 lbs in 4 months feel so weak and losing my muscle mass, scares me , but they say I’m not malnourished. So for now just have to wait on tests and colonoscopy to get a diagnosis and go from there. Hope you find comfort soon. Prayers sent your way. 
    • Posted

Thank you you are so sweet only best wishes for you my primary care physician said he didn't have a problem doing another blood draw to make sure white blood cell count isn't overboard again I will call his office Monday and make a appointment he is not real knowledgeable about DD but he is pretty good about testing You get some sleep and try not to worry

• Posted

My Dr is clueless also but does her best to make sure I get tests done, I advocate for myself and she does what I need. Do you take Ibuprofen? I take Tylenol but would love to take an Ibuprofen for the pain in my back and legs. Laying around to much lately think I got a pinched nerve causing pain. Well you rest good sweet dreams and hope for a painless new day tomorrow. Hugs
    • Posted

Only Tylenol no ibuprofen I thought my back pain was due to laying around also but when I have what I call my now new days ( still sick ) nothing like before this disease I will walk as much as I can and sit instead of flat on my back but still have back pain Go Figure I hope your day is better today 🦈

• Posted

Do you get it in groin area and buttocks, difficult with peeing? When that happens your pelvis is probably out of place. Thanks for tip on Tylenol only. Got some today along with all my clear liquids and prep for colonoscopy on Tuesday. I start fasting tomorrow. So nervous. 
    • Posted

Hi vickie I get pain in my buttocks so bad I have to sit on a pillow I haven't had pain in my groin area and I pray it doesn't start My peeing is ridiculous I get up several times a night the pressure getting to the toilet is tremendous but barely no pee comes out my doctor said I don't have UTI I feel like I do so I've been drinking cranberry juice like crazy I finally felt like I could go to town today I tried to find buscopan that other people on this forum have had luck with went to 3 different stores and nobody had it The pharmacist said her mother in law had been suffering from diverticulitis for 20 years and started doing acupuncture in February goes twice a week and she is pain free and eats whatever she wants???

• Posted

Hi ellen, I can relate to buttock pain, does it affect your legs also, for me since it started in May, I've had awful leg pain, some days I just don't want to walk at all

• Posted

Thinking of you vickie, hope you get tru the prep OK, please let's us know how you get on, hugs and prayers to youx

• Posted

Hi kate my leg pain was so bad there were times when I couldn't get up the stairs to lay in the bed my sister worried I had blood clots from inactivity when I went to GI doc She said leg pain is not a part of diverticulitis??? She blamed it on soft food diet Said I was starving myself to death I am eating a bit better now and the leg pain is less frequent but I believe it had everything to due to diverticulitis Try to b positive today take a extra anxiety pill if need b you are so close to getting results wishing you the best 🦋

• Posted

I’d be the same way with the peeing, felt like uti, maybe check to see if your pelvis is out of lign , it puts weird pressure on bladder if it is. Acupuncture wow I’m going to start right away after colonoscopy. Today I do My fasting and prep, so nervous, and with my anxiety it makes it worse. Going to try hard to meditate, be mindful, breath, yoga, and go for walks. 🙏 

• Posted

Thank you 🙏 Praying for a good day and not let my anxiety rule the day. Try to stay out of my head and not freak out. I’ll keep you posted. Hugs

• Posted

Have you lost a lot of weight? I too have horrible leg pain, back and buttocks but only on left side. Thinking pinched nerve from inactivity. But now I wander if it’s related to this DD. Due to the diet you have to be on. Losing muscle mass so fast. I just want an answer hate waiting on all labs and colonoscopy. Not knowing what diet or foods to eat is so frustrating. How long have you been dealing with DD? And can you give me your exact symptoms, and tests you have had done? Maybe I can help in some ways. Or we can just compare and exchange info. 🙏 

• Posted

Hi Ellen

Thank you so much for your reply, im terrified, this pain is so paid it wakes me up out of my sleep,

I get some relief with bm and empty my bladder but then it all builds up again, fingers crossed for

a good result of colonsocopy on Thursday, hoping things are improving for you.

Hugs,

Kate

• Posted

I didn't have my first flare up until May 6 I thought it was something I ate 4 days later couldn't get off the floor my boyfriend was here he put me in car and to the hospital after lab work my white blood cell count was 171 straight to cat scan with contrast showed large infection sigmoid colon in hospital for almost 3 days all doctors said to me is you have diverticulitis a lifetime disease surgery may b required sent home with more antibiotics Metamucil nothing said to me about diet no diet restriction while in hospital I was still sooo sick and in bed couldn't hold anything down I put myself on liquid diet about 3 weeks later I'm back in hospital with infection I don't think the first infection was ever cleared up took awhile to get GI appointment when I crawled into her room I had lost 22 lbs More blood work no bacterial infection but high level of CPR ( inflammation) she said I was starving myself to death eat everything you were eating before all this started boy what a mistake I drank a small vanilla shake and 4 hours later I was doubled over I have always had problems with diahrea since I was little girl went to primary care physician 3 years ago for it he tested stool sample and said everything was normal just take Immodium I go back to hospital the middle of July for another cat scan with contrast GI doc wants this first before doing a colonoscopy in August I'm 60 years old and was healthy my whole life other than diahrea???

• Posted

Wow sounds horrible, I never got no info on diet either when I was diagnosed with DD in Feb. Just sent home on antibiotics and liquid diet for 2days, So I just ate same way, then did not get better got worse, ended up in hospital with abcess. IV antibiotics for 4 days. Sent home on antibiotics and low soft foods for up to one week, then up your fiber slowly. I quit eating everything I use to eat. No soda, candy,popcorn, fried foods, dairy or processed . So been stuck on soft food diet along with salmon, chicken bone beef broth, soups and crackers. And some veggies and fruits. Smoothies are good. But then in May had a bad bout of diarrhea and all signs of flare up, so went back on liquids and started all over again. But now pain and discomfort is burning sensation around bellybutton towards left side abdomen with spasms, left side ab, back, buttocks and leg pain. They have done all Cat Scan and blood work normal, just waiting on stool tests for Candida, IBS, CUDD, Parasites, and going for colonoscopy tomorrow. It’s to where I do not know what to eat or what diet to be on. So much anxiety with all this. 
    • Posted

I never had bleeding or vomiting or fever, just mucus in stools. I only did probiotics when I was on antibiotics. Now I just take vitamins D, B12, and magnesium. This DD is so confusing and scary, and the weight loss and muscle mass is scary also,(not that I didn’t need to lose weight I was at 180 ) but this fast not so healthy, I look so diff. And I seriously think I could handle all this ok if I had not developed bad anxiety panic attacks and put on meds. And off work 4months now. So with all that I’m hoping all tests results and colonoscopy will give me answers and go from there. And start on right diet. 
    • Posted

Very best of luck vickie for tomorrow., hope the prep wasn't too bad, remember to let us know how you get on, big hug

• Posted

Very anxiety filled I’m on liquids and start the prep at 5, I go in at noon tomorrow. So just going to try and go with the flow, and stay relaxed. 
    • Posted

You will be fine, just think this time tomorrow it will be all done
    • Posted

You will be relieved when you get the results please keep us informed the best of luck to you 🍃

• Posted

I’m so nervous 😟 getting set up to take the prep. Not feeling good, not knowing what to expect. 

• Posted

Get some sleep vickie tomorrow morning will b a long one deep breaths happy thoughts were all cheering for you 🐿

• Posted

Hi Kate and Ellen, well that was interesting, but GI and group were amazing! Glad it’s over. Results- had 6 polyps removed and sent to biopsy along with scrape of entire colon for evaluation of colitis. Severe Diverticulosis (3 spots) GI put me on Low FodMat diet along with vitamins- calcium,D,probiotics and a cocktail of Psyllium mucilloid(Metamucil)/ Miller’s wheat bran. Till I see their dietitian. Said to avoid another flare up need fiber. He is also having me checked for SIBO and IBS. My pc Dr, only did a few stool tests, the one for parasites/food poisoning/ salmonella came back normal so waiting on Candida of gut tests still. This is all a bit overwhelming but glad I got cleaned out and some answers, so just going to stick with Low FodMat diet and keep good food journal and try  to control my anxiety. Fiber to help not have a flare up. Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.