Glans irritated after using skin oil + red frenulum

Posted , 22 users are following.

In the month March the foreskin was pulled back too far, while the glans was a bit dry. After that, the frenulum was red. There was no blood, no tear, it was just red. I gave it some rest, but unfortunately the red color did not disappear in the months later. 5 weeks ago i had the (stupid) idea to apply some Biodermal oil (comparable to bio-oil) on my frenulum because it contains a lot of vitamin and thought that it might cure the redness. The oil also touched the glans. Some time later i noticed that my glans was getting red and felt a tingling sensation in the glans. I decided to stop with it immediately and was hoping that it would cure soon again. I could still feel the burning sensation in my glans till 1,5 weeks later (especially after a shower) and since 1 week ago, (after a month), the tingling is finally over. However, the glans is still red. I read on the internet that this 'disorder' is called 'contact dermatitis' and mostly be treated with hydrocortisone cream. Now it is 5 weeks later. Do i need to have a bit more patience and the redness will go away slowly, or is it better to start with hydrocortisone cream and visiting a doctor?

Biodermal contains the following ingredients. Is it mainly the perfume which caused all these problems, or are there other ingredients i should worry about? Ethylhexyl Stearate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Canola Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Oil, Olus Oil, Panthenyl Triacetate, Camelina Sativa Oil, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate,Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Citric Acid, Parfum.

Thank you very much in advance!

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have same problem with you. A bit more severe because my skin cracked much more. I am scared about BXO but I dont know. I am going to dermatologist again because started itching and burning a bit. I would tell him to do biopsy.

• Posted

@kim12266

Oke thanks Kim. But you are telling that many medications can cause further damage and could lead to contact dermatitis. But actually in my case we are already talking about irritant contact dermatitis, right? And you said in your first post that it should get better in time. Can you tell me where that was based on?

@Wee_Dugie

Can you please reply why you shouldn't advice applying a steroid based cream in your first post for this specific issue ? I think it is likely that the doctor will prescribe me that in 2 weeks. Also you said that you have seen similar cases like mine and that the skin was healed after several months. Was that also caused by perfumed products? Then i don't understand why my situation is not getting better.

@lolak94957

How did your symptoms start? Also due to applying skin oil / harsh chemicals on your glans? If yes, then i don't think we are talking about BXO in your case, because BXO is not directly related to applying harsh chemicals.

• Posted

In terms of your penile skin healing I feel it is far too early to introduce anything to try to repair the skin, and this is because of the way in which the damage was caused - it therefore needs to return to its natural state - and unfortunately, that takes a great deal of time.

My fear would be, no matter what is applied it may simply cause the damaged skin greater distress ....

• Posted

Oke thanks Wee_Dugie. In your first post, you guestimated time to heal was 3-7 months. Of course it is just a guess and you can't know it for sure, but i am now in the 7th month and i still don't see any improvement at all. Some places on my glans are more red than others, but even on the places where it is just a very little bit red, there is no improvement. Even the very little and smallest red spots haven't changed in almost 7 months time. So i think it is realistic to say that this will not solve itself by giving it time.

My guess is that the oil caused irritant contact dermatitis --> inflammation of cells --> creating more pro-inflammatory cytokines/reducing anti-inflammatory cytokines which cause redness. So i am thinking to have treatments to reduce the pro-inflammatory cytokines and increase the anti-inflammatory cytokines. There are several creams/oils/products available which have proven to do so. But before doing something, i will ask my doctor first about it. On Monday i have the appointment.

• Posted

... the only thing that makes sense is that you have ongoing contact with a source of irritation.

For 'ordinary' contact dermatitis remove the source of the irritant and the skin will eventually recover - this is where my guestimate of 3 to 7 months comes in.

Are you seeing a regular doctor or a Dermatologist ... ?

• Posted

Thank you for the information. It is very strange, but i don't believe in ongoing contact with a source of irritation. I have never experienced balanitis in my life before, everything started since i applied that skin oil. I never use shower gel or things like that to clean it, only water. And nothing has changed about my lifestyle. Some parts of the glans are the normal, healthy colour. But especially on top, on the lower side, there is the redness located and that is also the place where the glans is more cracked (i have always had this before), so i think that is the reason. In cracked areas, oil can penetrate deeper into the glans i assume and there it caused damage/inflammation is my guess. The million dollar question is now how this can be solved, and what kind of treatment would be the best for this. I am clearly not the only person who experience permanent redness when you look at the replies and number of followers, so i think it is too easy to say that there must be an ongoing source or irritation. As i said before, i only use water to clean it, and i am 100% convinced this is due to the skin oil.

I have an appointment with a skin doctor, specialized in genital skin on Monday. I will explain all details what happened and which specific ingredients of the skin oil touched the glans. The doctor is an older man with a lot of experience in several countries. Very curious what he will say.

• Posted

.. if you update after you see the doctor on Monday - it will be interesting to hear what he says .....

• Posted

I am having a very similar issue after using a in shower wash for jock itch it is on my penis and scrotum both. i have tried basically everything i can think of been to the doctor multiple times and they just prescribe me a cream that doesn't work or makes it worse i have changed my diet taking out gluten dairy and caffeine and its kinda looking better but i haven't made any major improvements please let me know any new information

• Posted

I am having a very similar issue after using a in shower wash for jock itch it is on my penis and scrotum both. i have tried basically everything i can think of been to the doctor multiple times and they just prescribe me a cream that doesn't work or makes it worse i have changed my diet taking out gluten dairy and caffeine and its kinda looking better but i haven't made any major improvements please let me know any new information

• Posted

@kyle13456

Can you tell me what kind of product you used, what kind of ingredients? Did it also contain perfume? And can you please inform me what kind of creams/treatments you already tried to solve the problem?

• Posted

it was called fungal cure jock itch wash

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Sepia 12X. Purpose: Antifungal Treatment. Inactive Ingredients: Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Panthenol, Phospholipid EFA, Purified Water, Sodium Chloride, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Tea Tree Oil.

i think the tea tree oil may have been the cause i have sensitive skin

i have had a steroid cream, a antifungal with a steroid and mupirocin which i think is a antibiotic cream and i have also had a round of fluconazol thats all the over the counter and ive also used gold bond powder to keep the chaffing down

• Edited

I think i have a similar issue mate, I applied a harsh chemical too over a year ago now and still hasn't healed, think i've made it worse along the way too by applying other stuff to it

Please keep us informed what the doctor says and if you do happen to find a cure or have good results please remember to come back to this post and let us know!

thanks buddy keep in touch

• Posted

Can you tell me what kind of harsh chemical you used, what were the ingredients? And can you inform me what kind of products/treatments you already tried?

• Edited

I am very disappointed in the doctor. I explained what happened and he was taking a look. He told me that it looks normal...i needed to convince him that this is not normal and that this all started after applying the skin oil. After discussion he wanted to prescribe me hydrocortisone. I told him that my local doctor did not recommend that and that i also prefer to avoid steroid based creams. I told him that i found online Balanitis cream and asked him if this can be a good alternative to steroid cream. He recommended me to try this cream rather than hydrocortisone. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me anything about cannabidiol oil.

So actually i am very disappointed because the visit didn't bring me 1 step closer. Maybe it is better to visit a dermatologist in my own country. I think my next step is trying the anti inflammatory cream and doing more research about cannabidiol oil. CBD oil sounds very promising to me due to the very anti inflammatory properties which fights the pro-inflammatory cytokines which create redness. Does anybody have experience with CBD oil?

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.