Globus? What do I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm new to this site but have been trying to find some info about my throat problems and came across the discussions here. I had a case of tonsillitis about a week ago and during the course of my antibiotics, I began experiencing a lump sensation in my throat. It is CONSTANTLY there. I've barely slept, I have a nasty feeling when swallowing and the front of my neck feels tender. Already I am feeling depressed about it and am really struggling to cope with the symptoms.

My doctor did not seem to know what it was frankly and put it down to a part of the throat infection I had. She said it should clear in about 2 weeks but judging from my own research, I think I have globus. I don't know if/when this will clear up but the thought of having to deal with it constantly for a long period of time is really getting me down.

If anyone has any experience, prognosis info, suggestions... please help me out as have been tearful all evening.

Emma x 

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello all, as my globus had been improving a little and has now come back again with a vengeance (all within about a month's period), I've now started getting a sore throat with it too... I didn't have that before. Does anybody else find that their globus will dissipate for a while and then come back? If so, how long does that last for? rolleyes Does anybody else suffer with a sore throat too? I'm having trouble with too much talking which is really impractical and kind of depressing rolleyes 

This group is also at least some comfort! x

• Posted

Oh no sorry to hear it’s come back! I don’t have any pain with mine it’s just a REALLY uncomfortable tight throat feeling! Sometimes it feels like that feeling when your watching a sad film and are trying not to cry! Mine makes me feel almost breathless sometimes and it also makes me feel like my voice changes abit altho people around me say my voice is normal. I just want to wake up and it be gone ! I’ve forgot what it feels like to feel normal 😭

I had a good week a few weeks ago where I thought it had almost gone and I was so happy and then within a day or 2 it was at its worst again! 😩 not good. I’m putting weight on aswell because it feels good when eating so I want to eat constantly but that’s not good I’m already over weight x

• Posted

Eugh woke up worrying again! Decided to google more about globus! And I’ve read that globus is a lump in the throat feeling mine definitley don’t feel like a lump is just feels really tight / pressured so that’s freaked me out also it says globus sensation comes and goes .. mine has been there almost 7 weeks every day! No coming and going 😭 back to worrying about it wish I never googled 

• Posted

I totally agree... I've forgotten what's it like to feel normal too sad I feel like I can deal with it if I know there's an end in sight but the terrible thing about this is, you have no idea if it will go away, let alone when! I feel for you... and anybody that has this horrible condition. It really tests your ability to stay half positive! 

I think I'm going to have to go back to the doctor soon if I can and see if any other routes are worthwhile. I don't know if I should have been put on acid reflux meds for longer than a month if they're going to have any real effect? rolleyes Urgh

• Posted

Yeah I’ve been put on omoprozole for acid but I just don’t even think I have acid?! I have no heart burn or acid feeling! I’ve had it for a month now and haven’t seen a change.. god I wish I could rewind a few months and be normal again x
    • Posted

Do you struggle to sleep? I feel like when I’m lying down / trying to sleep my throat closes up! It’s horrid 
  • Posted

Same... I have a hernia so the ENT guy said he felt it could well be reflux but I've never had it before in my life and I'm really not sure that's it at all. If the omeprazole were doing any good surely it wouldn't have come back mid course rolleyes 

I struggle to get off to sleep definitely... it does seem worse in the evening/night time, I guess because I'm not so distracted. Once I'm actually asleep it's not so bad but atm I have this sore throat that is irritating me through the night as well sad

I feel like most of the stuff I come across online is about people suffering from this condition but nobody seems to come back and say 'I still have it' or 'It went away'. I wish I knew that for most people it did sad x

• Posted

Same I don’t want to keep taking omeprozole for no reason?! I feel like I’m loading my body with them for no reason what so ever! 

And same falling asleep is what I find hard because I can’t get comfortable at all I’m constantly tossing and turning thinking I’m going to bloody choke then once I’m asleep I sleep through and wake up feeling slightly at ease but within 20 mins to an hour it’s back!

The only ever time I feel normal is when I’m eating   

I no I’ve been googling all about it and not seen any answers which makes it harder! I think if I knew 100% it wasn’t anything sinister I might be able to get on with it but I have had no testing because the doctor won’t send me for any! Eugh ☹️

• Posted

Going back to the doctors today! Hoping for some answers 
    • Posted

Went to my doctor yesterday and I told him that my GI doctor said “it’s just this thing called globus.” And he said “but there has to be something causing it.” It was so relieving to hear that there might be answers. First step was he put me on a higher dose (40 mg) of pantoprazole for 30 days along with my Zyrtec I take daily, and montelukast every night. He said if it doesn’t get better after that, that I will go see an ENT. Hope all of you have a good day. Good luck at your doctors appointment today!

Does anyone’s “globus” for lack of a better word, become better or worse in the morning or evening or after eating different foods?

• Posted

Hey back from the doctors .. he’s changed my anxiety medication. And he’s reffered me for an endoscopy which is what I wanted all this time and now he’s referred me I’m so so scared 😪 can’t win! 

I’m going to be so anxious now waiting for it to happen which could be weeks because I won’t be priority and then waiting for the results ??

I find mine is always there but better in the mornings and worst at night but I don’t no what triggers it! It feels worse (randomly) when I lean on my back or lay down . 

I just want to no it’s nothing bad sad 

• Posted

My endoscopy was a breeze. Sore throat for a couple days but it was the best nap I’ve ever had. smile try not to worry too much. Do your anxiety Meds help? My doctor seems to think it’s some sort of allergies/acid reflux.
    • Posted

Yeah guess I’ll try put it to the back of my mind until it’s done.. thanks hun. 

I only started my anxiety meds yesterday so need to wait for them to kick in but fingers crossed they do! The ones I was put on before I only took one and they made me feel funny so I didn’t take them again. 

Jade x

• Posted

Hi Kim

I hope you don't mind me butting in, mine is ok in the morning until i start thinking about it. I have started doing a food diary and have noticed that fizzy drinks and chocolate make it feel worse, I will give up fizzy drinks but not my chocolate its my only treat.

Have you noticed any trigger foods etc?

• Posted

Hey!

I have noticed that when i wake up, it feels fine, but unfortunately, coffee seems to make it worse. i should start a food diary as well. Certain fruits will make it worse because of the acidity im assuming. have you been to any doctor(s)?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.