Gynaecologist Useless!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, I have now seen the gynaecologist but it was a waste of time I think!

Docs have told me for 18 months that I've got Vaginal Atrophy and my symptoms match what is mentioned in websites and leaflets re this condition. Soreness, wanting to wee all the time etc.

Anyway I put all my cards on the table with this gynaecologist. But she never mentioned Vaginal Atrophy. Never picked up on it. Anyway fair do's, she gave me a good internal examination. But afterwards she said it was probably Kitchen Sclerosis I had got so she prescribed me some steroid cream. Then she told me to keep using the HRT for the dryness. But I kept saying over and over that none of the three types of HRT that I had tried, worked for me! She never addressed the wanting to wee all the time or the bladder discomfort that comes with Vaginal Atrophy.

So now I feel quite fed up. I will try the creams she gave me, just in case they do help but I honestly think she wasn't hearing me and she is way off beam!!! sad

1 like, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi .

My doctor said I had lichen sclerosis and gave me steroid cream. I read up on it and was not convinced that was my problem so demanded to be referred to a dermatologist. It turns out it was just VA. I would do the same if I was you ask for a second opinion and I would definitely not use the steroid cream, it thins the skin which will make your VA worse. It needs lubrication not thinning.Good thing I ignored the GP who was not happy I questioned her diagnosis. Tough! It's your body, you do what is best for you, and not worry about asking for anpother opinion.

• Posted

Hi Carmarie, Thanks for your message. And thanks for the info about steroid cream too. As you say, the skin needs lubricating, not thinning. So yes a dermatologist seems like a good idea to me to.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you didn't get the results you were hoping for. It's disheartening when you build your hopes up only to walk away without the answers you seek. I would also seek a 2nd opinion without the proof of white patches for LS as this seems to be the main indicator. Although alot of the symptoms do cross with VA you might well have a 2nd condition going on which many of us do.

Fingers crossed with the cream for at least some improvement :-)

• Posted

Thanks for your message Tracy. Yes I was very disappointed. Really thought I would come away feeling relieved. I don't think I've got LS to be honest though I'm not sure about a 2nd condition either. So yes I might seek a 2nd opinion. I hope the cream helps a bit too. Really wasn't expecting any of this. I know there are many worse conditions but its still very hard to cope with at times isn't it. :-(
    • Posted

It is a constant obsession unfortunately Shirley :-S ! Either you're using one product or another or you're monitoring what might have gone wrong as it's so up and down. Oh for the days when a vj was just a normal part of you're anatomy!
    • Posted

Me too, infact I had never heard of it till researching my symptoms. Luckily my Dr agreed which was helpful. Like you I'm going to try the Balance Activ they have a bogof deal on their site so it's worth a try.
    • Posted

I'd never heard of it till I got it 18 months ago Tracy. I'm 58 now so in my late 50s. I felt discomfort at work one morning. Never dreamt I'd feel the same 18 months later! Will have a look at the Balance Active Deal you mention. Yes definitely worth a try.
    • Posted

Yes it's really strange how you're body suddenly goes off balance. Not necessarily because we're over 50 as some suffer earlier. But for me it's been a lifetime of women's problems supposedly solved by a full hysterectomy resulting in VA for the remainder lol! The irony :-/
    • Posted

Oh you had a full hysterectomy that resulted in V A. I'm really sorry to hear that Tracy. As you say though, some women suffer VA sooner than 50 don't they. Men don't know how lucky they are, do they?!
    • Posted

Have you tryed the coconut oil yet?I still havnt. Vitamin e from capsules are so sticky. I teally dont care for it. On the vulva that is. I went 2 weeks with no irrtation then last night,there it was.
    • Posted

I do think it was in the post anyway as some burning/dryness had begun but it wasn't explained that it was a possibility. It may never have gotten to this level either as I had a TAHBSO and for the fun of it picked up an infection whilst there and had the pleasure of a 9 day stay! I did manage to lose half a stone thanks to the awful food I guess that was a bonus :-D
    • Posted

Lee I to mix a few capsules into a bottle and add a little olive oil it's much easier to apply.
    • Posted

Not tried the coconut oil yet. As for Vit E, I use Suppositories up inside, not capsules. That irritation is the pits isn't it.
    • Posted

Wish I could lose half a stone Tracy but you could have done without a 9 day stay in hospital with an infection couldn't you.
    • Posted

I was begging to leave by then weightwatchers would of been easier lol
    • Posted

You got me wondering too, so I googled it and it's this Total Abdominal Hysterectomy Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy
    • Posted

Must admit that after only being successful twice in 25 years with weight loss Tracy, then putting it all back on again, I have come to see that Slimming Clubs aren't the answer . Whilst there is support at these clubs in a minor fashion, their main concern is about the actual food that we eat. Now I can see its a whole lot deeper than that and its about WHY we eat the stuff we eat (Junk food etc) and from my own experience its very hard to stop comfort eating/emotional eating, whatever you prefer to call it. I hold my hand up and freely admit that junk food is the drug of my choice and it numbs my feelings, makes me feel better and so on. If weight loss were as easy as, "Eat less or eat healthily and move more" , nobody would be overweight. But something is making it difficult - emotional eating. Sorry. I will stop there. I know a lot of people don't like it when I start on about this.
    • Posted

Sorry means Total Abdominal Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy. Everything including ovaries and fallopian tubes
    • Posted

I agree there are usually deeper issues and unfortunately you have to maintain the weight loss after the diet. Which is usually where it all goes wrong for most of us.
    • Posted

Yes there are a lot of deep or deeper issues going on for most people I believe. I think that the amount of people who actually keep lost weight off permanently is minimal, about the same as the amount of people who manage to stop smoking permanently too, or manage to give up alcohol when they are drunks. I also feel that the motivation needed to lose weight is about the same as it is to stop smoking etc.
    • Posted

After the hysterectomy and recovery time I felt so unfit and had gained weight that I was finding hard to lose, so got an exercise bike, then a treadmill (and then a cross trainer, but can't use that because of the knee arthritis) and the weight dropped off.  My fitness increased hugely too.  If anyone is thinking about getting any equipment, starting with an exercise bike on it's own will work really well.  I got the treadmill because of low bone density more than weight and fitness.  The bike's aren't horrendously expensive really and there are some good deals around.  At 65 I thought I'd be getting my knitting out rather than getting on the bike LOL!  But 65 is the new 20 - isn't it?
    • Posted

That's great to hear Chris. Yes 65 is the new 20 :-) That makes me about 13! Laughing to myself now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.