Had pip assessment Waiting decision

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new here..I'm claiming PIP as I can't work due to my bipolar,I had the ATOS assessment a month ago and a text from DWP a week ago to say they have all they need and are making a decision,I have been beside myself with worry,anybody assure me at all that it won't be much longer?

Thank you

6 likes, 233 replies

233 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, 

I've just joined this site as I felt that I should share my PIP experience.  I am now in my 11th month, since the submission of my claim in August last year.  I had my assessment at home in January, that was in fact the 3rd appointment that atos made with me, as they cancelled the previous ones in the day they were supposed to happen.  

I finally received a text yesterday from the DWP, informing me that they now have all  the evidence they need.  Again this is the 2nd time they have said this to me, but they said the same thing to my benefits advisor 3 weeks ago.  As you can iimagine this has left me physically, emotionally and financially in a very bad way.  They won't give me back pay as they have kept me on the lowest DLA for the whole time.  

• Posted

You are correct in saying that. But if you fail the PIP test, you can get comfort in the fact that you continued to get DLA for longer than you expected.

• Posted

This is true, however as someone with multiple nurological physical and mental disabilities, I shouldn't be having to cope with this, or be expected to do so.  And all things being equal, (which I obviously know they aren't) with the complexity and severity of my problems, I should not fail. 

• Posted

As has already been said, there are no guarantees with PIP. 'You should not fail' is your opinion, the assessor/DWP may well have a totally different take on it.

Many do in fact get refused PIP and indeed Attendance Allowance where they previously had a high level DLA award in the past.

In my case I had indefinite DLA (HRM & MRC) since 1995. Both PIP and AA consider that I am no longer disabled enough under the new revised rules.

Never count your chickens before they hatch - it only leads to disappointment. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Posted

I said that I should not, not that I would not.  As you've rightly pointed out there are no guarantees,  I have not gone chicken counting to the extentt that I don't even know what the rates are for the benefit.  

• Posted

I have been on P.I.P for the last 2 to 3 years for anxiety and bi polar just sent my form in and advised I am back under the psychiotrist again, does anyone think I will get this again I am also worried sick about this. 
    • Posted

Hi sfarrell I really hope that you do. I for one do not wish to spread doom and gloom as one particular member on here does. I joined this site to help and get help but in a constructive way. I think " Honestly no idea" is not helpful so why say it ?. Please let us know how things go for you.

• Posted

I will do thankyou I only sent the form in last week on Thursday do you know how long it will take to get a reply.
    • Posted

should I leave this for a couple of weeks before contacting DWP due to only sending my form in 2 weeks ago need the assesser to come here as I unable to go out any more
  • Posted

So just a quick update!

I applied on the 9th Feb,

Went for ATOS apt on the 23rd may

Had a text from DWP on the 2nd June to say they have all my information

& today on the 4th July they have text with a decision,

I called them to ask as I couldn't wait for the letter (anxiety gets the better!)

And they told me I have the enhanced rate of Daily Living but Nothing for Mobility,

I am annoyed but relieved it's over!

• Posted

I bet that's a relief for you Tracy.  Did you think you may have qualified for the mobility?  They seem to knock a lot of people for that award, even those who cannot walk the 20 mts.   I have my assessment in 2 weeks and am dreading it.  I'm 68 and have been on DLA for years - MR care and HR mobility, I can barely walk 20 mts and certainly not without a lot of pain, but I bet they find an excuse not to award it to me.  

I bet you sleep a little better tonight. x

• Posted

Hi sukes,

Yes I feel really relieved it's over with but I don't know how long for yet.

If I could advise you with anything it would be to make a massive point to the assessor that you cannot walk,and even stop til you can walk again (don't be embarrassed) I fought to walk as far as I did and didn't get the mobility.

I will sleep better thankfully,it's a long drawn out process and really wears you down,I wish you the best of luck x

• Posted

Thank you Tracy, your mobility sounds like mine and if it's any consolation, which I'm sure it isnt, by the sounds of it, you should have got it and I'm so sorry x

• Posted

Like you I too am 68. I used to get DLA indef  High Mobility/Middle Care and had done since 1995.

When my time came to transfer over at the end of last year to PIP I went into the benefits website and did the self assessment test.

I was honest with my answers but found that all I would get for PIP would be 4 points  for care only - in other words no award at all.

For PIP Mobility the killer is the  50% rule. You have to prove using good evidence that your bad days are more than 183 days a year. It doesn't matter if you can't walk 20 metres, proving the 50% rule is hard.

The other problem with pain, the DWP could argue that as I don't take some of the pain medication I am given they would assume that I am over exaggerating my difficulties.

As for PIP care, as I said 4 points is all I got for using aids.

With that depressing thought I didn't go ahead with the PIP claim and consequently the DWP were certainly quick off the mark to close my DLA down.

It was hard to accept that I didn't qualify, but glad in a way now in that I don't have the worry or stree in having to have regular re-assessments for the rest of my life.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you are not getting the award Les, as for painkillers, they don't always work and often the side effects are so horrendous that it's easier not to take them and put up with pain.  

Unless someone has experienced certain conditions, they really have no idea how others suffer. 

• Posted

I agree, the main side effect that I was getting was feeling more 'detached' than I was before. 

Another poster on here has suggested that it would not be helpful if you refused the medication - much better to get them from the GP and throw them away. That way it would be building up a medical history that could be sent to the DWP as evidence.

To me that is claiming a benefit with fraudalent intent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.