Hand Foot and Mouth Adult......HURTS!

Posted , 28 users are following.

WELL I AM 29 AND HAD CHICKENPOX A FEW YEARS AGO AND THIS IS WORSE!

SO much for all the 'MILD' stuff you see on every health website... :shock:

I caught it from my daughter who is 14 months and was in a pretty bad way.

Started with Fever, Feeling Sick, Sore Throat, Aches in all my joints especially my back and the backs of my knees.

Feet and hands feel swollen..

And face and neck.....

Day 2: Spots on hands, and in mouth my mouth feels like it is burning inside.

Feel totally crap

Considering when I had chicken pox the doctor said it was the worst case she had ever seen and gave me anti virals this is worse! I think the NHS need to rephrase there wording on there website. Can't believe my little girl has had to go through this.

Best wishes to all of you suffering.

6 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The past few days I've been getting like red blisters on my hands and fingers and feels like I've got little splinters in them when I hold something or even squeeze them together woke up this mornin and there's even more painful blisters but only on my hands other than my throat feelin a bit sore I have no other symptoms does anyone think this could be hand foot and mouth

• Posted

usually it starts with a fever and the sore throat, then by day two or three the blisters will appear. Sounds like you may have it, was your hands alot! Made this mistake and think that's why it was so bad in my throat.

• Posted

Ok thank you is there anything that will help the discomfort and pain in my hands and how long does it take to go
    • Posted

That's the suck part, no prescriptions best thing is rotate between advil and Tylenol every 4 hours. This helps some of the pain. I had it severe pain for a week and the sores for about two weeks. Then everything peels for months afterwards, it's pretty gross. My daughters two toe nails peeled off 2 months after she had it.

• Posted

Oh great so the worst is yet to come then we'll thank you for your advice and hopefully it starts to ease the pain

• Posted

I used motrin. I also am pumping my body full of witchy antivirals. Honey in water, cinnamon, loads of vitamin c about 1000 a day, vitamin d3. Also made a batch of theives oil and put 4 drops in some almond oil on my palm ..mix it and pit on legs and arms. I am on day 21. Very slow. Swelling is down but stamina and pains still abound. I'm able to drive my son to school and pick him up (16 miles away...but because it's a stick shift I pay dearly with flu like symptoms. It's looks from this forum that people has lasting effects gor months to life...depending on if this virus goes to spine or brsin. I really am contemplating going back to my position at work...it's not worth it. It is a long frustrating disease for adults and hardly any doctors know what it is number one and number 2 they don't give you all symptoms. .I also had pneumonia from it if I didn't say. So frustrating.

• Posted

Oh god sounds like your really goin through it and mine just the start in now finding it unbearable to drive as steering wheel feels like shards of glass a cross my hands
    • Posted

I didn't hve the energy to drive. When I had too I had more pain sharp pain. But many have the pain you are referring to. Rest rest rest..I'm not a doctor but motrin helped mE but we had to be careful because of my heart. I'm a very active 46 yo..thin etc but I have a hole in my heart and some arythmias. ..so I just have to watch.

• Posted

Hi there.

I too have this illness and I'm 47 years old

I'm from the UK and can't actually find any figures of any other cases.

I have the blisters in my mouth. Drinking water is like drinking molten lava with spots on my hands and fingers like they are being constantly stung by nettles.

Could you please let me know how long it lasts and have you gotten over it ok.

• Posted

Can you please let us know how long to get over it. Any complications and tips to get over it from your experience please as I'm on day 4 and really suffering

• Posted

You can look at my reply to carly (i think) tons of rest. Indid mineral baths hydrate hydrate hydrate. I used motrin for pain. Also did lots of for me antiviral. Cinnamon in sweet potatoes everyday. Thyme and oregano tea..imade my own theives oil and put it on day and night when my hands could function. Its going on five to six weeks now and im still out of work. Feom what i have read and from my infectious disease doc four weeks for sumptoms to go away and months to feel back to normal. Some people experinene life long problems from what i have read. I can do most chores around the house now with out my hands and feet hurting or swelling now. But have to take it slow.Cant carry heavy grocery bags yet and lots of fatigue. Cant do my three to five mile doggie walks yet
  • Posted

What a helpful thread! I too was sick of reading everywhere how mild this illness is. My GP says I have it and I have been ill now for over 3 weeks. I only have mouth symptoms and feel very sorry for those of you with the full range of symtoms. My mouth ulcers are excrutating - I have had about 5/6 mouth ulcers at a time every day for the last 2 and a half weeks. It started with a mild sort throat (I have no tonsils - maybe it would have been worse if I did). Then I had  nothing for a day or 2 then the mouth ulcers kicked in. Every 2/3 days I think it's almost better and just at the point when the current ulcers are almost healed I wake up with a new crop. I am at my wits end and none of the over the counter mouth ulcer treatments have worked. My GP gave me oral steroid tablets which helped to a degree but donlt seem so helpful with the tiny tongue ulcers. They work better on the bigger cheek and lip ones. I had been using a product for the last week called Bonjela Complete Plus which is salicylic acid that you apply with a little wand. It coats the ulcer and provides some temporary relief. But I read n the leaflet yesterday that it says not to use it with 'tiny herpes-like ulcers'. I have stopped since I'm not coninced it's not making them worse. I wondered whether I was reinfecting myself with the virus by keeping puttng the wand back in the bottle and then using it again the next day. Who knows. Anyway. I feel very low with the constant mouth pain and cannot wait for this to be over.    

• Posted

Quick update. I had nothing like the severe symptoms that some people decribe here. But I was ill for 6 weeks. Some days I could not get out of bed. I still have two small mouth ulcers but apart from that I have recovered. Just though it might help to put a timeline on it.  I thought it would never end but id did eventually.  
  • Posted

I've had HFAM for 5 days. 2 days of horrendous itching on my hands, now they're just swollen and a bit numb. My hands are covered in spots and blisters. Have it on my feet too but they haven't bothered me as much. Also have spots on my face, which are starting to dry up. My mouth and throat have been agony and I have barely eaten for days but today I got some really good painkillers so I feel myself at last.

A few questions from fellow sufferers!

Reading this thread is filling me with fear of future bouts and losing my fingernails. Are there people who have not suffered from this? Just had one bout and so far, nothing more? Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on how to avoid it coming back or to prevent further problems such as the fingernails?

I suspect I'm grasping at straws on that but worth asking in case anyone has heard anything.

Also does anyone know if and when you should apply moisturiser to your skin? It feels so dry but I don't know if that helps it dry out, or if moisturiser would just help it spread.

I'm praying I'm on my way to recovery now, and have at least escaped a fever. Been to several doctors but there was a lot of conflicting diagnoses of Scarlet Fever and Strep. I caught it from my 10 month old son, who recovered quickly. Although he had antibiotics as the doctor thought it was a bacterial infection. Very confusing!

Anyway, would love to hear any positive outcomes and tips. Thanks so much, nice to know we're not suffering alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.