Has anyone been given Nalmefene / selincro ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been following the development of the Nalmefene drug and have tried to get my own Gp to perscripe it for me but with no success. It seems to be the just the thing I need to help me cut back. 

I would be interested if anyone can tell me why I can't get it.

Regards

Alan

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Took my first Selinco tablet at 6pm, went out for a meal and left most it. Feel a bit sick and dont really want my usual bottle of red. I am tired thou... but that maybe just because I've been at work today smile 
    • Posted

Whow, youre like me, taking the first tablet on a special day.

Weekends usualy are trickerday's, I did take my first tablet on Christmas eve.

It was the most horrible Christmas, but...looking back, probily the best I ever had, I can remember this one ;-)

You'll have some difficulty sleeping, even when youre tired, but, please don't give up, It's only a week or two, you cab do it.

For tonight, read the symptoms of boo, she discribes the most negative side effects and today, she feels a whole lot better.

Succes, 

Escar

• Posted

Hi my little French Snail, there is no way I am giving in.. its only day one and my partner (who is aware of what is going on) even bought me a nice bottle of shiraz ... which I have drunk smile 

• Posted

Good one, It's a weekend, you should enjoy this.

I had a little beer, Belgian import (French beer is horrible) and went to bed.

However, couldnt sleep and had some side effects of Selincro (not to much)

Well, tomorow its Sunday, so far no problems.

• Posted

Day Two.. Oh wow.. felt really odd this morning, like spaced out... spent the morning trying to get my brain going and then this afternoon my hand started to cramp up / spasm .. not nice at all.. But I will perciever and just really hope the side effects stop soon. I'm guessing this is normal?
    • Posted

For the first few days, yes, but the side effects subside as your body gets accustomed to the drug.
    • Posted

Yups, absolutely, this are the side effects the first week is the hardest, after around a week they start wearing off.

In about 10 till 12 day's you'll be fine.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi basil brush i am new to this form and it was good to read all the comments and side effects of some of the medication, I cant approach my gp for a prescription as i am a carer and need to go for yearly medicals they all get access to all my medication and reasons as to why i take it so it would only come back and bite me on the bum any advice
    • Posted

Angela, what sort of carer? It should make no difference what you do, you are entitled, like everybody else, to confidentiality from your GP. If you are tied to a contract where your employer gets to see every reason that you visit your GP, then I believe that contract is illegal.
    • Posted

Hi Paul sorry about the delay in the response but i have been working.I am employed by a local authority as a carer for a young adult so they need yearly up to date medical information i guess i am what you call a functional alcoholic thats why i cant seek medical advice

• Posted

I still feel that you are being denied your right to confidentiality. I could understand if any ailments you had could be contracted by the person you care for, then they would be reportable, but you shouldn't lose all your rights to privacy.

I worked in the NHS for years as a nurse and was never subject to such conditions.

• Posted

Day three, today was better, no longer feel sick or dizzy and no where near as spaced out in fact, afternoon I felt like the old me for the first time in a long time.. Brain was a lot sharper but I think that was down to the amount of sleep I had.  One of the key things for me in wanting to change my drinking habits was sleep or rather the lack of good quality sleep.. being on a skiing trip and needing 4 pints then a bottle of house red (with the meal so it didnt look so bad) then half a bottle of whisky/ Brandy just to make me sleep finally made me realise that something was very wrong.. 

I am in the very early stages of recovery but I am really looking forwards to being 'Normal' again .. If I can do this, so can you smile  

• Posted

That's realy fast Basil, I hope for you the side effects are starting to wear of.

In about a day or 4-6 things realy should start to feel normal again.

Good luck, you're on the right track.

Escar

• Posted

Day four.. That will teach me to get cocky, felt bad again today, brain is slightly foggy but no sickness or dizzyness. I stayed up late and then drank a bottle of red very quickly..  I'm trying to get into a pattern / routine. 
    • Posted

Once your body is addapted to Selingro your consummation will go down.

What was your average consummation before?

• Posted

Easily one or two bottles of red wine an evening, as I said before I finally realised that I had a problem when I was Skiing (Very badly) and was drinking 3 pints after ski, bottle of red with dinner then half bottle of whisky just to be able to sleep... not good or clever... sad I ve upset a lot of people over the years and wasted a good brain... But I determined to sort this sorry state out once and for all smile 
    • Posted

Well things are looking already a lot better don't they.

This amount of alcohol, would nock out even an elephant.

A bottle of wine still is to much, but for the time being (only your 4th day of selingro) this is already a great result.

The real diverences you will notice.

Further, don't think to much about restoring relationships with the people you have dissapointed.

First thing first, you'll see, when sober, you wil restore most damage done.

Good luck for tonight, try to drink slowly wink

Escar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.