Has anyone been given Nalmefene / selincro ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been following the development of the Nalmefene drug and have tried to get my own Gp to perscripe it for me but with no success. It seems to be the just the thing I need to help me cut back. 

I would be interested if anyone can tell me why I can't get it.

Regards

Alan

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 5, not much sleep last night but other than that all good smile side effects seem to dwindling which is good. 
    • Posted

The sleeping bit is still hard for me, but not every day.

Even now I still have some problems sleeping.

One day I sleep like a baby, the other I wake up every 2 hours or so.

When I wake up, during the night, I do feel hangoverd, feel my heartbeat etc.

Most day's I have a hangover like feeling, this in the morning.

How do you experience the mornings ?

• Posted

Its always been a bit bizare, I never ever have a hangover, just wake up, bright eyed and bushy tailed and get on with life ( I know that on a medical level I must have been over the drink drive limit sometimes but never felt too bad to drive) I have been able to function quite normaly even with my massive intake. I now see that the sleep I was getting was not sleep in the correct sense more a kind of black out.. a forced shut down.   maybe Paul can give us the medical view?  How long have you been taking it now Escargot? are you over the side effects?
    • Posted

The Sleeping when drunk for sure isn't sleeping, it's more like a coma.

When I was still drinking I woke up about every 2 hours and needed a drink, about 1,5 units just to go to sleep again.

Now on Selingro I wake up only one or two times, I don't need a drink but just a little breading exercises or meditation (prayer in my case)

I'm taking Selingro now for the 10th week, still sometimes I have those restless nights, not every night but one out of four or so.

Further side efects are completely gone, and actually, I feel better not drinking. 

• Posted

Alcohol doesn't produce good REM sleep. REM sleep is necessary to feel refreshed in the morning. REM is the Rapid Eye Movement sleep that you have when you are dreaming. Some people may feel that they dream more when they have been drinking. The reason for this is that, to remember a dream, you need to wake up while in the middle of a dream. You wake up a lot more when it is alcohol-induced sleep, so your REM sleep is being interrupted all the time.
    • Posted

Now your discussing REM Paul, I would like to mention the following.

When Simulating REM, I feel like i'm calming down.

I do this by closing my eyes an move my eyes fast behind my eyelids.

Is there any therapy form known which simulates REM?

• Posted

My stepsons music tends to make me roll my eyes whilst they are closed as i bang on the door and tell him, yet again to turn it down or else I will play him non stop 'The best of the Carpenters' ... not sure if this helps but it does stop me from killing him.. smile 
  • Posted

Day six.... again woke up early but apart from feeling a bit odd (which could just be me) I feel fine, other than I wanted to take my tablet earlier than before so that I could drink and then sleep.. if that makes any sense.. I dont drink because I enjoy it or I enjoy the feeling, I drink because i drink..   On another note, I was annoyed that my local sa*nsbur%s had sold out of the value 10% red wine that I am now sticking to.. I am trying to stick to the lower percentages.. anyone got any thoughts re volume of wine v alcholic content?  Escargot I'm sorry ! 
    • Posted

Bier 33 cl 5%                =1 Unit 

Bier 50 cl 5%                = 2 Units

Mix 25 cl 5%                 = 1 Unit

Wijn 10 cl 12%              = 1 Unit

Whisky 3,5 cl 40%         = 1 unit

Shooter 2,0 cl 10% 0,2  = 0,2 Unit of alcohol

Those are the standard European mesurements for the hospitality industry.

If youre trying to drink lower catogerized volumes, try not to drink more glases to reach the same amount of units, you will adapt to it and at the end probely drink more.

However, with selingro the amount will go down, this after about two weeks.

Like you, I love my drinking, I love the way I feel and feel absolutely comfortable in all suroundings.

I just wish others feel the same when I'm drunk, but Helas, they don't seem to be willing to adapt to my standards....... biggrin 

• Posted

Day seven .. ok been a mixed day, felt a bit odd this morning and  I feel I  should explain that I take my tablet at 6.45 ish in the evening.. it seems it works best if taken within an hour of consuming alchol so I'm trying to time everything right. 

I am grateful for the support I'm getting from this site, its important so thank you Paul and Escargot.. Had to have the slightly embarresing conversation with my lady about how Selinco has deminished my sex drive to the point of feeling a total prat.. my mind is very mixed up now 

• Posted

BasilBrush, it WILL diminish the pleasure you get from many healthy activities. That is why you need to work towards having days off from drinking and then doing those other enjoyable activities on your non-drinking / Non-Selincro days.
    • Posted

Thank you Paul, i have read the book and understand the princible but as I come close to finishing my second bottle of cheap red , I really wish to have something positive to focus on ...I'm tired but cant sleep but am still hopeful that selinco will work for me
    • Posted

Just keep persisting. The side efects will last a few days. Compared to the effect alcohol will have over a much longer term, it's worth some hardship at the start.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.