Has anyone been given Nalmefene / selincro ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been following the development of the Nalmefene drug and have tried to get my own Gp to perscripe it for me but with no success. It seems to be the just the thing I need to help me cut back. 

I would be interested if anyone can tell me why I can't get it.

Regards

Alan

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Another day another tablet smile felt a bit quessy this afternoon and got anxious about going to work in the morning ( Which isnt normally the case) struggling to get any writing done as i cant seem to focus. I know these side effects are only temporary and they will diminish I just wish they would hurry up smile Feels good to be doing someething positive about my problem even if the only thing I'm doing is excatly the same plus taking one tiny tablet. But I feel good about the future. 
    • Posted

Day 8, whow, the most difficult part will be over soon.

By now you should start to feel some differences.

Keep on looking forwarts to your future, it's bright and hopefull.

Fantastic news,

Escar

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement smile Last night had a really bad nights sleep, just not able to get into a good deep sleep..  which didnt make me very popular with the good lady Mrs Brush.. How are you finding now Escargot? 
    • Posted

I still do notice some problems, I do have to be hounest, sleeping is still not regular.

Also I notice when the Selingro is wearing off, I start to feel a lot of tension on my Diafragm (Plexus)

Also do I hyperventilate a lot.

For sure Selingro does give me tension, this stress alike.

All of this still is better than a hangover after consuming alcohol, so I will continue (soft medics create stinking wounds)

I'm on my 68th pill right now ;-)

• Posted

Hmmm, my responce is waiting for moderation, well we have to wait, don't we ;-)

• Posted

Something you said perchance lol ? smile  ihave just taken pill number eleven, and whilst the side effects are still with me, ie lousy sleep and feeling a bit sick in the morning, Ive still not noticed a decline in my desire to drink, I am aware that it is early days but I still find myself wanting to nip over to the shops just so i have two bottles 'in' 
  • Posted

Somewhat dismayed to find that even after taking selinco for 2 weeks my desire to drink has not diminshed. I 've been through all the side effects yet I still want to open another bottle of red. Thats two tonight , I have however cut back to the sainsburys table wine at 10% ... 
    • Posted

Hy basil, don't focus to much about how fast and how much youre drinking, the taking of Selingro is different on every person.

For me It worked straight away, with others it takes a while.

20 Units a day, thats about the about the amount you're drinking now.

My advice would be, try to slowly bring it down by one unit every three day's.

Aswell could you try to drink something lighter in alcohol percentage, maybe a stronger cidre or a low alcohol containing drink.

Aswell a glass of water in between drinks or delaying your first drink with a few hours could be the answer.

Good luck,

Escar

• Posted

Good advice sir, I have cut back to sai*sbur# red table wine only 10.5% and seem to be doing a bit better this week. All of the side effects seem to have now gone. So it's onwards smile 

thank you for your support, it helps to know Im not alone in this. 

• Posted

If I didn't had so much confidence in Selingro, I probely would not say the following.

You will succeed, don't try to look at the negative, like things arn't going fast enough.

Selingro needs it's time, so does your body and mind.

Once your mind is set back in order, you'll see the difference clearly.

Every drink less is one step in the right direction.

Good luck,

Escar

• Posted

Just back from a short break in Italy, and for the first time in many years I had a dry night. smile Where once I would have panicked and made my excuses to have my own bottle of wine. I was able to control the desire and drink moderatly smile Still a long way to go but encouraging signs.  
  • Posted

Hi

My GP has prescribed Nalmefene for one month as long as I have counselling as well. I am due to go back next week to ask for my next prescription. I am very much hoping she will continue to prescribe it. I wouldn't say I have noticed a great difference so far but I think it is very early days. I have done a lot of reading including the book The Cure for Alcoholism and I really believe this is probably my best chance of cutting down on my drinking.

I don't understand why it is so expensive - is it because it is not widely used maybe. Would the price come down if more was produced? What worries me is that if it does work you have to stay on it for the rest of your life - will my GP be willing to agree to that given the cost, I'm not sure. I will consider asking for a private prescription if she doesn't want to continue. I still don't quite understand the cost privately because I know you can pay around £25 for a private prescription, this is still far less than £3 per tablet.

• Posted

Debs,

The cost of Nalmefene IS about £3.50 a tablet. The cost of a private prescription is the cost of the tablets. This can work out more expensive or cheaper than an NHS prescription depending on the cost of the medication. An NHS prescription costs £8.05 per item. If the actual cost of an item is £3, you will STILL pay £8.05 for it. If you had a private prescription for the same item, you would pay £3. However, when the cost of the item is higher, as in the cost of a month's supply of Nalmefene which is over £100, the NHS prescription cost would still be £8.05 but the private prescription cost would be over £100.

When a new drug comes onto the market, it is patented and only sold by the company develops it, in this case, Lundbeck, who call it Selincro. Nobody else is allowed to sell it and the company that spent all the money on research etc will aim to get back what they have invested. Later, when the patent expires, other companies are allowed to make generic forms of the drug, Nalmefene and, at that point, you will see a much lower price. It's a little like Nurofen and generic Ibuprofen. Nurofen will cost you a few quid and Asda's Ibuprofen can be bought for a few pence. It's EXACTLY the same drug!

I am appalled at the idea of a GP prescribing Nalmefene for one month! Clearly she has absolutely no understanding of the drug. I would take some print outs from the Net with you to show her how it actually works and that you need to take a tablet before you drink FOREVER. Ok, that should be fewer and fewer occasions if the Nalmefene works for you but you will still need occasional prescriptions from her for it.

• Posted

Hi Paul

thank you for your very interesting reply. I now understand much more than I did before. In defence of my GP I think she just wants to see me again before re-prescribing and also needs to check I have been having counselling. I am hoping she will now prescribe it continuously. I drink 4 days a week, at the moment, so a months supply lasts slightly longer anyway. 

I was astounded when I went to my first counselling session and saw the GP        at that practice. He told me that the only reasonable approach to my drinking problem was an immediate 3 month abstinence !!!! What a ridiculous thing to say to someone with a drink problem. I would hardly be there if I could stop drinking just like that! Fortunately when I saw the counsellor she said that she saw quite a few people on Nalmefene and she was generally in favour of it.  When I see my GP next week I will follow your advice and take her some info. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

That is good that your counsellor gets it. People on here have reported going to counselling, explaining they were on Nalmefene and being told that they had to abstain (which of course would mean that Nalmefene wouldn't work!)

Your GP has no choice but to ensure that you are having what they call 'psycho-social support' as that is in the guidelines for prescribing the drug. However, I find this guideline inappropriate since Nalmefene is a medical treatment, the aim of prescribing it, is to take away the need for willpower and determination because the drug works on blocking the reward people get from drinking.

In my view, it would be far better if the guideline said that people should have education about how the drug works, the effect it may have on other pleasurable activities and how to overcome that potential problem and how to deal with the initial side-effects.

Where drinking diaries are normally a waste of time, for a person on Nalmefene, a drinking diary and a craving chart are very useful tools to allow them to see their progress. Unfortunately, many of the counselling services that people are being referred to have very limited knowledge of this new way of treating alcohol problems and some, as described above, totally confuse the drinker with inappropriate advice which goes totally against the treatment method being used.

• Posted

Hi Paul

i am really hoping that my GP will carry on prescribing Namelfene for the foreseeable future. I am really interested to see what happens and if this can really result in the big change I am hoping for. If Namelfene works for me I will certainly want to understand why it isn't literally sweeping the country. I suppose the alcohol industry won't be saying too much about it!

• Posted

There are a number of issues which will stop Nalmefene from being widely accepted at first.

1. Doctors feel uncomfortable telling people to take a drug AND drink with it.

2. Many doctors haven't yet got their head around detox which has been done for decades, possibly because of an attitude towards people who drink excessively and a lack of interest in helping those people.

3. The rehab industry is worth billions of pounds across the world and they rely on repeat business with their less than 10% effective methods.

4. Both drinkers and their families have been brainwashed for so long that the ONLY way to overcome their problem is total abstinence and The Sinclair Method (the use of Nalmefene) goes totally against that, so even those people are reluctant to accept the idea.

5. The NICE guidelines recommend Nalmefene for men who are drinking 7.5 units per day and women who are drinking 5 units. This is basically people who drink a little too much but are not in a serious mess. There is no recognition of The Sinclair Method which can be used to treat people drinking a lot more than this.

• Posted

I had to take my own research material into my Dr's to get them to perscribe it. I was lucky, after explaining how I use this forum and by cutting down the strength of the wine I allowed Nalmefene. I only get a months supply at a time and have to go back to see my Gp each month. But its well worth it. Now the side effects have worn off I am definaly seeing a huge difference in my drinking. I even managed my first drink free evening in about 5 years smile so stick in there  
    • Posted

Glad you are seeing the benefits, BasilBrush. For anyone who is struggling with side-effects, it really IS worth persisting for the rewards. The side effects are nothing, compared to the suffering caused by later health problems caused by drinking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.