Has anyone experienced these symptoms with tietze syndrome?

Posted , 52 users are following.

I have experienced symptoms of this syndrome for sometime, but have only recently received a diagnosis.

As well as symptoms of pain in the chest, neck and arms I have also been experiencing an irregular heartbeat and abdominal discomfort.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

3 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I lost a lot of weight as a result of an eating disorder, and subsequently experienced a bout of tietze. That was 5 years ago, and despite having gained back to a healthy weight since, I've had two separate acute bouts of tietze since, as well as some very quick fleeting pains which didn't result in long-term pain. I suspect the weight issue does have something to do with it, although it could be an auto-immune response to losing weight quickly.
    • Posted

Hello all, I am 58 Female, have had teitzes for about 21/2 years that I know of. Had a possible flare up about 10 years ago when a muscle spasm after a sneeze broke my ribs. Took about 6 weeks of doing nothing to get well. Lat severe episode landed me in the ER unable to breathe. That is when I was finally diagnosed as the result of a CAT scan. The morphine in the Hosp helped but wore off , and oral pain meds did not help. I suffered incredible pain for 6 mo.

I have found that it is aggravated in my case when doing strenuous upper body work. Also flares up during a cold due to coughing, or during the flu, from vomiting. The muscles in that area are used pretty violently at those time. I also suffer from severe muscle spasms that are triggered by who knows what. But they are the worst on my ribcage under my Lt. breast. This is also where I experience the pain from Teitzes, also similar to Costco chronditis.

Pain and healing time is unbearable. Wish there was some help.

One of you mentioned this flare up after an eating disorder. Was it bulimia? It just caught my eye in regards to vomiting, that will trigger mine. Also muscle has memory! My spasms are always around my ribs after exerting muscles in that area, even if it is only a stretch or reach.

Good lick all.

• Posted

Hi all, its looking like i have Tietze Syndrome too.

i was admitted to hospital in MArch with a \"blood clot\" in the lung, then it was pneumonia got discharged, i then went back in with the worst pain i have ever felt, felt like my ribs were being crushed and i couldnt breathe. Went back in for 5 days they found a problem with my liver but the pain was still in my chest so bad! They discharged me with inflammation of the Liver and Costochondritis (Tietze Syndrome). Had to go back for tests on my liver at the doctors which took the light off my side.

Now my liver is back to normal my side is still extremely bad. I get pain my in abdomen, arm, back, neck, and down the right side of my chest. Have been for xrays of my chest, back, neck - every body part and shows nothing, had scans on my liver, gallbadder stomach - also shows nothing. They are going back to the original theory of Tietze Syndrome. Im only 21 so obviously i want to be out and about doing all i can but this stops me so badly that i cant even work some days.

I have been put on everything under the sun, paracetamol, diclofenac, co codamol, pure codine, codrydamol - now im on tramadol which is good to a fact that it works but stops me from working as i get spaced out and feel sick and am very tired.

My doctor cant do anything else for me so i have been passed over to the hospital which is EXTREMELY frustrating as the doctors there dont seem to know whats going on. As everything is coming back to Tietze Syndrome it would be nice to have a definate diagnosis.

How long has it taken for anyone else to be diagnosed?

I hear theres a herbal treatment called Costotabs which helps?

Thanks smile

Leah

• Posted

Hey, I'm seventeen and for the past couple of week I've been experiencing the symptoms that you've all been describing. I went to a Doctor because I thought I was having a heart attack and while he didn't diagnose me with tietze syndrome, he did mention it and I'm pretty confident that I'm suffering with that.

The pain can be as little and frequent as every minute when I turn, or as infrequent and severe as me believing I was having a heart attack. In one particular episode where it was so bad, even breathing escalated the pain and as I sit here typing this now I can feel a dull throb and twinges that I know will pang if I move funny or twist.

I know there's nothing that can be done to remove myself of this problem but things that I've found to help are to move the spine and chest area/arms as little or un-strenuously as possible, no stretching etc. I've found that having to use my inhaler after wheezing only makes the pain worse and the chest area can get very sore (Around the second and third rib- My Doctor poked the area and asked if it hurt, after saying yes he poked the same area harder- Has anyone else had unhelpful doctors?)

Does anyone else here have asthma and does their breathing affect the pain? My asthma has always given me problems when breathing but now after self diagnosing myself with Tietze Syndrome I've found myself out of breath quicker when having attacks of pain and I'm generally more tired. Laughing sets of very painful attacks and I'm trying to draw as many links as possible. It's good to read everyone elses posts here.

• Posted

I dont have asthma, but i have been given an inhaler, i get the pain in my chest but not that much anymore, however when i first sit up in the morning i get a tight pressure like feeling on my chest and back and feels harder to breathe. im suffering more from shortness of breath now than actual chest pain. I dont cough or wheeze so could it be ashma? And my doctors have been very unhelpful! ive been suffering on and off since last august now and it stops me from having a life, im only 20 and im not overweight so i dont know why i get short of breath, i cant even manage walking to work anymore and its only 15 minutes away. But my doctor just keeps saying its a chest virus, and has once mentioned tietzes. Hope your feeling better soon.
  • Posted

That doesn't sound like Asthma at all. You might want to check your lung capacity. I've taken up Yoga and have been focusing on the breathing exercises, try this and over time you might gradually build up the strength in your lungs again, but you should be careful as with certain movements I've found that it can set off the pain in my chest.
    • Posted

With my episodes of pain it feels like I can't get a good breath. I personally think the inflammation affects the diafram. Haven't talk to my doctor about it though.

• Posted

I have had Tietze for over 12 years, I remember I was changing an alternator on my wife's car, then in the evening felt a bit strange. The following day I was in a shopping center and started having extreme chest pain and trouble breathing. I walked to the nearest doctors who rushed me straight in assuming it was a heart attack (by then arms hurt to move). The Dr looked at my chest and noticed the large lump (I hadn't even noticed it!) and told me not to worry as it was Tietze Syndrome and should go back to normal within a few months max.

For the first 2 years I had regular 'attacks' which were normally brought on by physical activity so I had to reduce physical lifting etc.

Now a days I may get an attack every couple of few years, but as its so far between you often don't realise what it is. Reason for me writing is I have had mild aches in my arms for the last 3 days, then yesterday I started having major pains in the right side of my chest. Today my breathing is heavy, not much sleep last night and discomfort throught my upperbody. I know pain killers and a few days taking it easy will see me through, but I always wonder if I have a real heart attack I would think it was Tietze! I havn't been to the Drs about it for 5 or 6 years. They gave me the steroid shots but thats all they could do, they cannot operate as it is not classed as a serious problem, they want to try having it for years!

I'm 40 years old now and accept the fact its not going away, I accept the fact that after hard physical work or even twisting in an unusual position will bring on a fake heart attack and I will feel lousy for a few days.

The fact I find hard to accept is that their is no cure and looking on here the Health service should understand it does not go away after 6 months as myself and others posting here can confirm.

• Posted

I've been suffering from tietze's syndrome for around 10yrs. It has made me depressed as doctors say there's nothing they can do about it and load me up with painkillers that don't work.

I went to see a chiropractor and he thinks he can help to relieve the pain in my chest, 10 yrs and not one doctor has advised this may work. I had my first session on friday, and have another on wednesday. Maybe others will find this helpful.......good luck.

Jessica

• Posted

Hi just wanted to let you know i tried this for 12 months with no improvement but everyone is differnt i hope it works for you
  • Posted

Please let us know how you got on?
  • Posted

i am 12 years old i have lived with it all my life and was diagnosed with costochondritis (which by the way is similar to tietze except it is incurable) anyway mum said i am having more tietze syndrome symptoms than costo. i found out that if you have a panic attack and you have costo or tietze you chest becomes tight and painful and stops you breathing. so in a way it is life threatening
  • Posted

Hello,

The doctor told me, I had the Tietze syndrome on my right side.

This pain is new for me, so I wanted to know more about it. But she told me only that the real causes ar not really known and thats why a real treatment does not exist. All I can do is, take painkillers and wait untill it passes by itself.

Now I found your discussion and I see that painkillers might not solve the problem.

Did somebody try a homeopathic treatment? I have read about «asclepia tuberosa».

Before taking drugs for years, I would like to try an alternative, that worked for somebody, who did not post yet.

Sorry for my English, but mother thoung.

Vlad

• Posted

I m going to try out cranial therapy and I m seeing a naturopath to see if I can get some answers
  • Posted

Hey everyone I am 31 yrs female in DC, I have felt all this symptoms all you posted I am so glad I am not the only one, I have suffered almost 2 years now, how I came across it is by a lovely lady Tina told me about it the symptoms the sensation she was very informative, but my problem is the doctors whenever you mention heart attack or chest pains they want to put you through never ending test and its expensive USA health care is not like where I'm from (Canada). I went to the ER 3times thinking OMG heart attack they all said your heart is fine all 3 times and at the docs office too I'm just frustrated is all I know what I have now I got to pay money to know what I have already. Well I'll let you all know how it works out. Goodluck all and take care. Ps its winter here and freezing cold it doesn't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.