Have herpes, unprotected sex

Posted , 134 users are following.

I was diagnosed herpes 2 five years ago. I didnt aware I had it and was in relationship. Until the first outbreak I got tested, same as my ex. His result came out positive, we didnt know who got first but we supported each other.

We broke up almost 2 years ago, we remained friends and he already started a new relationship one year ago. He told me sometimes he didnt use any protection with his gf(she knows) and she has been okay.

I know that herpes can pass to others even there is no outbreak, but from my ex expeirence, his gf and him are good so far. Just wonder if anyone has similar expereince with his/her partners? If you have unprotected sex when there is no outbreak?

I have met a guy and told him the whole situation. He said he doesnt care and still want to be with me. He wanted to have unprotected sex, but i really dont want to put him at risk. I did saw others for short time also with unprotected sex. He got tested a few month ago and result came out negative.

Please share with me if you have similar experience with me.

5 likes, 252 replies

252 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

teodora, I understand how you feel and I know things are not easy. But don't give up, the frustration will get less as time pass by. There are people out there for you, it takes time to find. I think the best is to build a relationship first, get to know each other. Then find a timing to tell about herpes. I have experienced some people turned away instantly, but there are people who accepts me. This road will never be easy, but we need to be strong.
  • Posted

I caught herpes when I was 20 years of age and all I was told was that I had it for life and treat outbreaks with warm salty water....... I'm now 52 and as far as I'm aware have never passed it on. As the years go buy it becomes less and less and I used to get a like tingle in the top of my leg when I was about to have an outbreak. I will say it is very hard telling a new partner but I think you must be upfront however hard it may be. I think you just need to be very very carefull and check yourself 110% before having sex which in some situations ain't easy..... sad . It is Not the end of the world however scared you may feel when you are diagnosed. I believe their is more advice and help now and of course the net which I never had..... Never give up
    • Posted

I've had hsv2 for 15 years. However got divorced. Met a man wh o was okay with it until the -condom broke ..yes daily valacyclovirovir.. Prior and an exam 1 day before we had sex.. I had oral sex me on him 4 days later.. 5 months have gone by relationship has become consumed by his fears. I have been supportive.. All the way.. We had intercourse once.. Condom broke. The the oral sex.. Since then 6 months has passed. Our sex has been with clothes on. He's been testing every few weeks. Finally his results came back..hsv1.. He asked me to go for new bloodwork so I did.. Neg HSV 1 positive HSV 2.. How is this possible.. And our relationship now distanced because he said he needed to get things straight in is head as to how to interact.. I'm sad and missing the clothes on no kissing sex. How is hsv1 possible? If I'm HSV 2? So perplexed???
    • Posted

More than likely he has had hsv1 the whole time and was unaware. Can be passed from a single kiss. Him reacting like this is due to a lack of education.
    • Posted

3 possibilities: 1) he was never tested for HSV-1 before and had it all along, 2) you are testing negative for HSV-1 even though you have it, 3) he was testing neg for HSV-1 even though he had it before. There is a 10-15% false negative rate on blood tests for HSV-1. There are actually two different blood tests and one has a worse accuracy rate than the other. They may have changed the test they did on him. The longer you wait to get tested for HSV-1 after contracting it, the less likely you are to test positive for it. If you are asymptomatic and contracted it a long time ago you have a good chance of testing negative for it.
    • Posted

3yrs ago I had unprotected sex w/my BF.I always got chkd but the guy b4 him I didn't which is 1 of his good friends I found out after dating.He first had an outbreak,so we both got chkd.I was positive for herpes2, he was positive for Chlamydia.A yr later is why he got chkd again then he said he got herpes2 & blamed me,also he said the Dr told him he got it from me.Ive never broke out until him.After that time I break out almost every months.Its a red puss blister, that only hurts if touched. Don't go to the Dr because they keep saying different things.I try to work it out but I'm tired of taking care of a grown unappreciative man.Im scared to move on and I don't wanna be stuck. I need advice

• Posted

It's very possible to have HVS1 & not 2. The ONLY way to get a real result to see if you carry HSV2 is to get what's called a "Western Blot Test." They're expensive and hard to find. I'd suggest you get this test bc other tests are not as accurate (like the ELISA). Some ppl only have cold sores (HSV1) and still test postitive for HSV2 bc the antibodies are there. Again, you need an antigen specific test to know for sure. I'm going through something like this myself. I started dating a new partner and he has HSV1. That's all I knew of. He's now insisting that he's showing symptoms of HSV2. I have and will not be intimate with this person until I see a real result from an authentic Western Blot Test. Plz let me know if any of this helps or if you've learned anything new.

• Posted

Genital HSV symptoms are the same regsrdless of 1or2 strain. 2 is much less common orally. Half of all new GHSV diagnosis are strain 1.

I am under the impression that igm blood tests have low accuracy rate, that igg blood tests are quite accurate, western blot is best and most accurate... At least this is what 98% of my online reading everything I can find has told me. A swab test has a very low false positive rate and false negative rate is higher due to lower viral concentrations in lesions, depending on stage of partially healed elisions. I have only had a swab and am positive for strain2.

• Posted

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about 3 years he recently went on vacation to Houston TX and what we think is he ingested some sort of a date rape drug he has no memory of the night he just woke up in the driver's seat of a strange car covered in vomit with out his phone the only things he had on him was a ladies ID and a set of keys to a mailbox. The whole next day he was vomiting profusely then he noticed an outbreak on his genitals less then 48 hours later. he went to the doctor immediately and they told him he has hsv2 and he has been taking his medication for his first outbreak that has now cleared up since his outbreak or his diagnosis we have not kissed or had sex I'm wondering if he has hsv2 does that mean he automatically has HSV-1 and if he only has hsv2 am I in danger of getting HSV-1 by kissing him on the lips , is there a way they can test you to see if you have HSV-1 if you don't have any outbreaks on your mouth such as cold sores or blisters?

• Posted

Yes they jave a test at the dr for 1 and2..i had been with someone 8years&he had both tests&did not have2he had1..&ive never had a cold sore ..so i dont think its the same if you have 2u dont definitely have1..but u can kiss if no one has a cold sore..my goodness that storys awful..no mpre vacations god..im still unsure about outbreaks u said48hours i heard 3-5weeks.. then i heard it can be dormant in u for decades..so i giess its everyone is different..i had one HORRIBLE outbreak over 10years ago&i started2get one yesterday but its gone..god i dont want one..but im married to my 3rd husband&i never gave my other2husbands anything by a miricle i guess..

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry this happened to your boyfriend and hope he's getting through it ok. Your message is a little hard to understand with the way it's written and not punctuated but I will try to answer best I can.

There is a test to tell him which strain HSV he has (1or2). It's a blood test and sores don't need to be present.

Just because he has 2, he might not necessarily have 1. They are similar but different viruses. He can't give you a hsv1 if he doesn't have it.80% Americans have HSV 1, it's very common.

Until a few mos after I had my first genital OB, I don't remember ever having a cold sore (oral) but a few mos after my genital OB, I got a few in my mouth. I have hsv2 (got genital sores swab tested, so I might also have hsv1 but those sores were2) and suspect possible I may have spread hsv2 to my mouth (inside of my cheek in my mouth) but it's supposed to be less common to get hsv2 in the mouth. Maybe I've had cold sores in my mouth before but never thought of them before I got them on my hoo-ha and heightened my awareness.

• Posted

Hello! I caught herpes when I was 20 with one small blister that never returned. As far as I am aware I also have not passed it on (unless it is just dormant in the other person?)...

I have a husband and I have been with him for 7 years and we have unprotected sex and he has never gotten it either.

It is harder for a woman to pass to a man, and the longer you have it without outbreaks the less likely to pass on.. apparently.

I have been super lucky. Althought I don't get outbreaks "down there" A couple times a year I will get a rash on my knee, thigh or arm... which is apparently HSV2!!! weird huh.

• Posted

Hi Lauren I have recently met someone who is wonderful like you I only have a tiny little sore come up now and again but im so worried about passing it on to my new partner. I told him I suffer with cold sores on my nose but not down below im just not brave enough yet. We dont use protection only he said why do we need to we have both had neg screening at a std clinic. I just keep making excuses not to have sex when it flares up. I only see him once a week which is helping not that I like that but its the way it has to be at present. I must admit it has flared up more since ive been with him maybe he has herpes too and is reinfecting me who knows ! sad
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

I have just read your blog and I too had a small blister that come up once or twice in 13 years but I recently have started a new relationship and its come up a few times im so afraid im going to pass it on to my new partner I haven't told him that I have HSV2 but he knows I have had cold sores before and that I had shingles so I sort of told him I do carry the virus.

Did you ever get itching inside and burning when you wee? I thought you couldn't get the sores inside but recently read you can urrrggg. !! I hope I haven't only ive been lucky like you so far except for the fact its reoccurring again. Do you eat healthy or take vitamins? How did you tell your husband? Sorry hope you dont mind me asking butits hard to talk to friends and family who wouldn't understand .

J x

• Posted

Did he actually get tested? Most people are asymptomatic...
    • Posted

I was jus reading ur comment n I was amazed if wat u said cuz I jus found out I Hav gh so u never pass it 2 ur husband cuz I'm scared I mite pass it 2 my bf
    • Posted

You cannot "re infect" someone with herpes. When you get it, it is for life. I've learned that if you are very healthy you tend to break out less. Stress and a sickness coming on can also cause a breakout too! Maybe you are stressing about passing it onto him and that's causing you to have outbreaks. Either way I hope that you find this response a little helpful atleast.

• Posted

Can i ask if u ever did pass ot on to ur bf
    • Posted

I hope you realize that this is a disease for life. Just because you only showed symptoms once on your pubis doesn't mean a thing. If you never have, I'd suggest u get an antigen specific test and you'll know for sure. Also, it's not my business, but I hope your husband is aware of all of this. My guess is that he's infected and it's less obvious because men are more likely to be carrriers than they are to show symptoms. Good luck to you.

• Posted

So if u have unprotected sex with your partner don't have sex when you have a outbreak

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.