healing time after botox for anal fissure

Posted , 143 users are following.

Hi everyone!

So I went in for the botox treatment for my anal fissure around 3 weeks ago, after trying every cream for the past year or so to no avail. 

Since the treatment my pain is still there and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same treatment and was successful and how long it took for the fissure to heal?

Any advice truly appreciated!!

7 likes, 374 replies

374 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had banding of hemerroids and Botox for anal fissure last Wednesday. Since I have had a foul smelling liquid leaking out and the area around my bum is badly bruised. I have also developed some external hemerroids which I didn't have before. I have been sitting on a hot water bottle to help with the pain. I feel really bad as I have a 9 month old baby and can't lift him. Just wish I hadn't had this done now. I have had to call in sick to work which doesn't look great. I would strongly advise to change diet before considering this type of surgery. The impact wasn't explained to me pre op and I wasn't prepared.

• Posted

I feel exactly the same as you, im back to hospital tomorrow and not leaving there until they agree to the lis. Its been 3 weeks nearly and although no pain from hemmoroid banding the pain from the fissure is on a scale of 9/10 literally all day. I was supposed to be back at work today but theres no way. My muscle doesnt wven feel relaxed, still really tight. And me too have also developed external piles which really hurt when i go for a walk :-(. Let you know how i get on tomorrow.
  • Edited

Hi I had this done on Thursday & the blood that's coming out of me is ridiculous am in a lot of pain still

• Posted

Hi, I had Botox today...not sure if it’s worked or not yet as not had a BM yet...any tips anyone can give me would be appreciated...? Thanks
    • Posted

I had this done on Tuesday and very little blood is coming out and even the pain has subsided drastically. I apply a compression after I apply cream and that seems to help. Hope it gets better for you soon.
    • Posted

Hi I’ve just read your post I go for Botox Tuesday - how you feeling   - would you recommend it?

Tasha 

• Edited

Omg I can't believe the difference, It feels so good to be almost pain free. I used to cry myself to sleep from the pain so yes, I highly recommend this procedure I just wish my doctor suggested this ages ago. I hope you get the same results. Please let us know how you go. Best of luck.

• Posted

I’ve been in pain since an admission in early October with kidney stones - 21 days of antibiotics and then BAM a fissure! Thought giving birth 5 times and kidney stones was painful but heck this is the worst - reading other posts I’ve not suffered long but can’t do this anymore - I’m a nurse in Accident and Emergency and have never treated anyone with one either ! I was a patient on the morphine with the pain last Monday it was uncontrollable ! 

I’m so glad your feeling better hope I have same results - are you in the uk ?

• Posted

Funny you should say that but I found this pain worse than giving birth also!! I had bowel cancer over a year ago and to get this sort of pain afterwards was just too much to handle. I haven't been suffering with a fissure for long and was good to get it taken care of quickly. I'm in Australia not the UK.

• Posted

You’ve been through a rough time then - plenty of Movicol veggies and hot water bottle for me  - You take laxatives

What other things do you do - I have the Rectogesic cream and another called proktis m 

• Posted

Movicol taken first week after surgery then just metamucil daily. Drinking lots of water is important. There's no need to even use any creams now thank God... What a difference compared to before... I had a collection of different ointments!!

• Posted

Hi Missy 000 I had Botox yesterday and it feels like they didn't do anything nothing good nothing bad just the same only pain while using the toilet then it's fine after that, the Botox hasn't kicked in yet, how are you now 3 months later? And how long was it till your Botox kicked in? and how did you know it had kicked in? Thanks kindly.

• Posted

Hi cara, I still felt pain while using the toilet after the operation but it eases off within days and the pain practically disappeared completely. You know the botox kicked in when you're not in agony and crying yourself to sleep like I used to. It's still good now almost 3 months later but I'm dreading the thought of it wearing off and the pain returning. Drink lots of water, take metamucil and keep up the fibre. Wish you the best, I hope it works for you like it did for me.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply so you are now painless with every toilet trip? Do they also remove the fissure or just do Botox? Did you pass wind without control?
    • Posted

Yes I'm pain free even toilet trips and have been that way roughly a week after the operation. They removed the fissure besides the botox . The wind bit... Yes sometimes no control but believe me that's much better than being in pain. Try and avoid getting constipated as that would bring back some pain and might cause another fissure to appear.

• Posted

Yes I'll be careful they didn't remove my fissure because he said it looks fine even though it's 4 years old in annoyed he didn't remove it plus he had a good look with a scoop an created a new fissure so I have two but lucky now bad spasms

• Posted

missy I'm now 8 days post Botox an still have glass pain during passing a stool how are you now I want to fast forward time an heal!!

• Posted

Hi, I am still in pain..I had my Botox in Oct so mine hasn’t worked...I find I have to push hard for bowl movements now though ...anyone else have this ? 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you're still in pain but each person is different. I thought 8 days on, pain would have eased a little. I'm feeling good... Botox is supposed to last 3 months and it's almost 3 months this week. I'm hoping pain does not coming back but if it does I wouldn't hesitate getting this procedure done again. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Don't let yourself get constipated as that causes for straining while having a bowel movement. Take a stool softener and drink plenty of water. Sometimes we feel the urge to pass stool and strain but there's nothing there, is that what you're referring to??

• Posted

No there’s always a stool ...it’s so disappointing..feels like I’m gonna be stuck with this forever...I dread everyday 😔

• Posted

That's a pity you're feeling this way I guess botox works differently for different people. If my pain comes back I would not hesitate in getting it done again.

• Posted

I had mine done just over 3 months ago and its been mostly great. I'm still waiting for the pain to return as they did say botox lasts 3 months but so far so good.

• Posted

How long after the injection did it take for the pain to go away?? 
    • Posted

Almost instantly... Obviously there was some swelling and pain after a bowel motion but within a week was pain free. Best decision was to have botox as I used to cry myself to sleep most nights that's if I actually had any sleep.

• Posted

I had mine Tuesday and I had NO pain today while pooping but had ALOT of stinging after 
    • Posted

It's normal to have stinging after pooping and it will eventually disappear but at least the pain is gone and that's the main thing 😊

• Posted

How are you all doing. I had Botox 18 days ago now and still have pain. No where near what it was like before though? I have the sensation of needing to really push to move when I first use the toilet. Almost like having to kick a stuck door which then opens fine on that trip ... then back to square one for the next trip. 
    • Posted

Hi Gary, 18 days is long enough for the pain to subside but at least the pain is bearable now. That urge to push will eventually go away but Keep in mind to increase your water and fibre intake to ease things a little or take a stool softener. Hope you recover fully soon.
    • Posted

How long did it take for your spasms to stop after the Botox? I’m day 5 and they went away and today are horrendous :-( is this normal? 
    • Posted

Hi. I’m 5 weeks on and have only just settled down in the last couple of weeks. I’m still quite fragile down there and occasionally have to take mild painkillers but certainly not the spasms that I was getting. 

I’ve been having a lot of baths and also drinking loads of water and movicol / dulcosate sodium. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Gary. How long did you have you fissure for? 

It’s weird as after the Botox I had no real problems and thought I was healing then today the spasms were back and horrendous. Is that normal? Did yours clear up initially?

• Posted

The spasms stopped almost immediately although there was still a little pain especially after a BM. What bought on your spasms again? Were you constipated?
    • Posted

We all can agree the process of healing a fizzure is terrible. This week will be 8 weeks since i had botox shot. Week 1 i was in pain, week 2 i felt a lot of relief and it was great. After that though its been rough. I have a rough time after bm. Still get a burning an pain feeling and it lasts sometimes a few hours. Saw Dr this week and scheduled the surgery for may 1st.
    • Posted

hi

happy to hear that it has worked for you .. how are you doing now.. are u still on artificial fibers and laxatives .. i had a botox a month ago ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.