Health anxiety!

Posted , 72 users are following.

Hi, newbie here looking for... well to be honest I don't know whether it's answers, reassurance, or just a friendly opinion I'm looking for, but all are welcome. I'm a man in my 30s and for the past few years have been suffering from anxiety. Before the anxiety I was confident, enjoying work, had more friends than I had time to spend with, and was earning good money. Everything revolved around my social life. It was the reason I worked, and all I thought about during the day - what I could get up to at the weekend. Stress and anxiety was something that other people suffered from, but not me. I wasn't interested in settling down, not unusual for a guy in his 20s. Then completely out of the blue, I met a girl. A wonderful, gorgeous, kind, and funny girl, and immediately this changed me. She was the one. In case anyone assumes this is a story about how this girl broke my heart, this is not the case. We are still together, very much in love, engaged, and have a beautiful 2 year old son.

Immediately after getting together with Lisa, I was paranoid about losing her. I knew there were other guys interested in her before we got together but she assured me countless times she was happy with me and wasn't interested in anyone else. I still couldn't shake the thought that someone would take her away from me. After 6 months of us being together I noticed that I'd developed a strange irregular heartbeat. My entire department was about to be made redundant, which was on my mind as well, so it could be that these combined stresses caused this heart beat problem. Every now and then my heart would skip a beat and then catch up with a heavy beat, and I'd feel a flutter in my chest and have the urge to cough. I thought this was the beginnings of heart failure or an impending heart attack, however after a bit of research, a couple of visits with my GP, a chest X-ray and a 24 hr ECG, it was deemed to be premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) which are apparently harmless and very common, but I believe that by the time this was diagnosed the damage was already done and I was convinced my death from heart failure was just around the corner.

Six months later and I'm in a new job, mostly dealing with upset clients on the phone and sometimes face-to-face, and handling their complaints. I have always had a habit of taking things to personally and this type of job certainly had that effect on me. I was now also suffering from bouts of chest tightness and occasional dizzy spells as well as the PVC's and my fears about my health increased as a result. At the same time I had a house move hanging over my head as myself and Lisa were moving into our first home, which gave me added stress. I was going home every day fed up of dealing with angry and upset people and this brought me down. Rather than enjoy my spare time I would spend my nights dreading the return to work the next day, and this was causing frequent panic attacks. I had realised that all these symptoms I was experiencing were down to either stress or anxiety rather than heart failure, which was both good news and bad news; good news that I wasn't suffering from heart disease, but I was ashamed that it seemed I wasn't mentally strong enough to deal with the kind of stresses that millions of other people take into their stride on a daily basis. It made me feel weak.

Moving forward another year, I'd now grown fed up to the back teeth of being a complaints person and had found myself another new job. Not only was I looking to get out of that job but I also needed something with much more flexibility in its hours as we now had a 6 month old son. I was looking forward to a fresh start and had assumed that as soon as I was out of this job, all the stress and anxiety would just float away. Unfortunately this proved not to be the case. 1st day on the new job and they told me that, since my interview, they had removed the flexible hours option from all employees, and I was now expected to do shift work, meaning the child care plans we had made were useless. The job was over an hour commute each way and I found myself in constant trouble for being a few minutes late due to late trains. During the next 4 months I went through the worst time of my life with anxiety. There were times I would just freak out for no reason. I'd be struggling to breathe, my heart would be thumping, my entire body was tense, and I could feel my blood boiling inside of me, for no apparent reason. There were times I was thinking of jumping out of my top floor window rather than spend another minute suffering with whatever the hell was going on in my head. I knew there was no reason for it, but I could not stop. Thoughts of doing every day things, like being in a crowd, or in a supermarket, or on a plane or a roller coaster, a bus, in a queue etc. filled me with dread and I felt I couldn't handle such routine situations. My GP put me on propanolol and, to be fair, it did help. Whether it was actually the medication or the placebo effect of just taking it that helped I'll never know, but sure enough it started to get better. On my next visit to the GP it was decided that I would now take the propanolol every 2 days. I had left the new job after only 4 months and had taken a part time job which allowed our son to spend more time at home with me. I was improving and after another month I had completely removed myself from the propanolol. 9 months ago, my GP told me I could take one as and when I needed to. I haven't taken one since. I haven't had an anxiety attack for ages and I feel I can handle things much better. I haven't got my confidence back fully yet and every now and then I do feel a little overwhelmed, but my attitude has changed.

So, why am I here? Well over the past 6 months, I have started suffering with terrible health anxiety, or as it used to be called, hypochondria. Despite me managing to get on top of my anxiety, my mind doesn't seem to want to let go of it and I find myself racing away with thoughts about my health. Now, every headache I have is a brain tumour. I get an occasional tingling in my face sometimes which I know can be attributed to anxiety or a trapped nerve, but to me that's the start of a stroke. I have a cough for a couple of days and I'm convinced I have lung cancer. My arms get tired easily and all of a sudden I'm diagnosing myself with MS. If I have a stomach bug which causes unpleasant bathroom episodes, and all of a sudden I've got bowel cancer. I'm now convinced again that my PVC's (which I still have but are less frequent) are heart disease and I'm on the cusp of a heart attack. Over the past 6 months I've diagnosed myself with more diseases than I've got teeth (and I've got all my teeth!). If you looked at my web history you'd be forgiven for thinking I'm studying pathology!

Could it be that my mind is so used to anxiety that it's now creating more? Did this health anxiety stem from the general anxiety I was suffering from? Can it be overcome? I'm fed up with convincing myself I'm going to drop dead tomorrow and worrying about leaving a son without a father, and worrying about how my family will pay the bills and keep a roof over their head when I'm gone. I want to embrace these years and live them fully, without fear of cancer, or strokes, or locked-in-syndrome, or heart attacks, or MS, or any of the other multitude of ailments I've been convinced I've got. My doctor is fed up of seeing me, I'm fed up of seeing him, and my colleagues have stopped listening to me when I tell them of my latest disease! Can CBT help? I don't want to go onto any meds, as these forums seem to be full of horror stories of medication and withdrawals from them! My worst fear is that this will bring back the anxiety I was suffering a year ago. I can't go through that again. It's a long way down from my top floor window and I'd rather just use it to admire the view! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

9 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Nigel, I was in the same place as you two years ago. Both my parents died of bowel cancer as did my grannie. Doctors told me that I had a 'normal ' risk of getting it and my consultant told me to get a colonoscopy every two years as I was high risk. My doctor obviously doesn't want to spend her precious allowance.

My diverticulitis does not allow for that eitehr so i have these sticks thru the post to poo on every two years and send off to check for blood as I am now over 60 - another high risk of bowel cancer and any other cancer you can think of.

I plaagued my doctor and she gave me anti depresants which I flushed down the loo.

it took a super human effort on my part to say, we are born, we live , we die, and the live part is what I am doing now. you have got to die of something so tell yourself that while you are not dying, and you are not,  you are living and get on with life, as time goes on you will find you are enjoying your life more and will be able to shelve these thoughts like I did.

You might think I am being harsh but the only one who can help your is yourself!!

Get on with the life you have between being born and dying and realise that the only thing that will kill you for certain is the stress you expend worrying about dying. So stop worrying, You CAN do this.

I'm looking over what I have written and I am liking what I read.  So I will take my own advice.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

• Posted

Is anybody still in this discussion I feel like I'm goi to die I have really bad health anxiety please help sad x
    • Posted

I hope you are feelin better. I can tell you that I have learned that the mind is a powerful thing. I have been dealing with anxiety for some time now but ha e slowly started to get better. Excersise has really helped. Your mind can make it seem like you are dieing when you not but if you learn to focus on something good which I am still learning you can also get back to a positive state of mind. for me it was and is about getting my confidence back and trusting my gut that is telling me nothing's really wrong. It's not easy I work at it everyday but if you have been to the doctor and they tell you your ok. You should trust that you are. Feel better and hopefully things will turn around.
    • Posted

Hi Leah iv had really bad health anxiety for years.. how are u doing I'm not sure if u still go on here x

• Posted

Hi nigel,

I know this post has been long but im just wondering how are you now?

Still suffering from HA?

Im a young 23 year old wife and mother of 1 lovely 16 mths old.

Im constantly worrying about my heart.

When for blood test etc everything seem fine.

Always worries about constant ache and twinges.

Any advice to help?

Its been 5 months now

• Posted

Hello is anyone still suffering ? I have just joined and seem to be struggling at the mimute. Think it could be health anxiety, which is being made worse with the current feeling of being slightly unwell.

I would apprciate any help, support or advice

• Posted

Hi I have just signed up to this as I am suffering really bad with my anxiety!! I suffer with health anxiety due to having a heart condition. What symptoms of anxiety do you have? Every pain or weird feeling I panic thinking it's my heart or maybe it's just anxiety I never know
  • Posted

Hi Nigel don't panic you are not alone I also suffer health anxiety it started after I had open heart surgery 4 years ago. I constantly think there is something wrong with me & I am forever at the doctors or checking my symptoms on Google. My anxiety sometimes goes away & then out of nowhere it comes back & hits me full force. Like yourself I have been convinced that my tension headaches was a brain tumour & repeatedly took myself to A&e when my arms & legs feel weak I Google MS im always feeling dizzy or feel like I'm not walking in a strate line. I get random chest pains that come & go. The main symptom I get is that I can never get a full breath & I have to yawn or force it out to get that feeling of a full breath. Health anxiety is a horrible thing to have your in a constant panic about every little pain or twinge you feel. I sometimes think that it can't just be all caused by anxiety & that I am seriously poorly.
  • Posted

I have suffered with health anxiety for the last 6 years. At times I have thought about ending my life as I can't live with it. The only thing that has stopped me is my son and the thought of leaving him behind. There is lots of help out there I promise. I've been on antidepressants now for a while and am currently under going cognitive behavioural therapy and I can honestly say that it's helping emensly. Hang on in there because there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Glad i found this site.

I feel better reading all your posts..now that i know im not alone.

I have visited the ER a few times and once i was sent in by ambulance coz i thought i was having or going to have a heart attack.

I even stayed in the hospital for more than 6 hours just to wait to test my blood to check for heart attack.. took chest xray .. coz i told the dr i feel a lump in my upper chest. Had severe fatigue and woke up with a racing heart of 130 bpm and high blood pressure. Hence i asked my husband to call the ambulance.

I took echocardiograms and numerous Ecgs and all the cardiologists confirmed there is NOTHING WRONG with my heart. I would believe them for a while but i would start to doubt them later.

I would think,.' Can they make a mistake? Why do i have flip flop sensation in my upper chest sometimes and the cardiologists say it's normal? "

I would also google a lot and scare myself . I just cant help it!

I rather believe google than what my dr say about me.

Also.. for every little symptom..i would imagine the worst scenario.

I worry about life after menopause where they write the risk for heart disease increase.

Im very careful what i eat.. i try to live the healthiest lifestyle i can ever have.

In short..i have become very occupied with my health.

My cardiologist referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as Anxiety disorder and hypocondria.

He told me take xanax when i have anxiety.

But so far.. i try not to take.

When i feel anxiety coming.. i would breathe deep through abdomen.

It helps actually.

By the way... recently when i have anxious thoughts..my heart rate remain slow BUT my blood pressure shoots up to 150/160 over 90/98.

So i was scared of stroke.

And started to doubt.. was the anxiety causing the high blood pressure OR am i developing high bloid pressure??

My mind just cant help thinking all these.

Just want to be free from all these negative thoughts and really LIVE LIFE!

• Posted

Oh my god all this u have written is all bout me coz I have all that u mentioned... Glad im not alone
  • Posted

I can see you wrote this over a Year ago but I'd like to know how you are getting on now? I came across your post whilst putting in my health symptoms as I always do & your thread on health anxiety popped up, it was like you were writing about me! I too have suffered from anxiety caused by stress I was put on propronalol too which seemed to help, I felt like I had a better grip on my anxiety, my symptoms were mainly heart palpitations, short of breath pins & needles in my left arm & face, all very frightening ! I too have a supportive partner & family, so yeh I thought I had got through my anxiety and bam!! Health anxiety pops up out of nowhere, same as you, a headache is a brain tumour, tingle is heart attack, stroke MS etc I too have been to my doctors so many times I'm embarrassed I've also had an ambulance out for fear I was having a heart attack, I hate this I just want to be normal like I used to be, I think it's a fear of dying & leaving my kids without a mother any advice from you or anybody who relates to this would be great, I hope you've managed to get through your anxietysmile

• Posted

Hi Kellie I noticed you commented on this recently. I to suffer from sever health anxiety and have only just recently accepted the fact that this is what it is. I am literally terrified for my health. My uncle died of cancer 2 years ago age 46 and I think this is where it's started from. I'm 28 and have a gorgeous 6 month old baby and a super supportive partner. On the whole I have a really great life but one thing that is really starting to interfere with it is health anxiety. Every pain I feel is something life threatening and my main fear is cancer! I keep telling myself why worry about this as u can't control it but I just can't help myself. I've had a sore pain in the left side of my back for a really long time and have convinced myself

Of lung cancer. I had X-rays etc about 2 years ago which were clear but went for another one this week and am awaiting the results (needless to say I'm a nervous wreck waiting) it's so horrible and really feel like it's starting to effect my life sad

• Posted

I woke up one night early in my 8th grade year in school. I couldn't move or speak, my head was buzzing and my ears were ringing, I felt like I was going to die and I couldn't do anything about it. I now know that this is called sleep paralysis, and I've come to terms with it, but by the time I convinced myself that I wasn't going to die in my sleep, I had already started worrying about other things. My head began to pound, and It hasn't stopped since. I began to think every small feeling or muscle twitch was a sign of my impending doom. I googled symptoms for hours at a time. One day I was dying from a brain tumor, suffering from epilepsy, ALS, MS, and multiple other diseases. I always feared terminal illness, I always feared the worst. I'm now late in my 10th grade year, dealing with a whole new set of problems. My face has began to twich, mostly around my eyes and my mouth when I smile. I used to be sociable, and friendly to people. Now I feel awkward around people, and I always feel awkward because my face twitches when I try to smile and talk. Now I'm busy trying to convince  myself that I don't have some muscular degenerative disease or a brain tumor. 

I personally have not found anything that helps me, My pediatrician even put me on fluoxetine for anxiety.  My sleep paralysis episodes subsided, but I still feared death from disease. ( I stopped taking the medicine after about a year and the sleep paralysis has returned but it doesn't really bother me.) The one thing that helps me a little is trying to focus on something else when I think about my symptoms (which is usually my face twitching.) I can relate to all of you, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this but it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one. Hang in there wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.