Health Anxiety

Posted , 105 users are following.

Good Evening 

26 year old male here working as an occupational therapist. 

Have a question relating to health anxiety, has anyone else experience when reading up on there physical symptoms and reading related symptoms to diseases ect they start to physically experience them also?. 

My physical symptoms are.. 

Pins and needles occasionally in hands and  feet daily. 

Tingling limbs this also includes hands and feet. 

Floaters in both eyes. 

Full body twitching and jerking throughout the day. 

Digestive problem such as excess gas, bloating stomach noises. 

Muscle tension and pain. 

Headaches 

Sharp pain in middle of chest happens throughout the day. 

Heart palpitations, rapid heartbeat where I can feel my pulse constantly in my hands, neck, arms, back of head. 

Docters are pointing to anxiety, had full blood count came back normal. And MRI Head and Neck.

Been offered antidepressants although I don't feel anxious or depressed I do feel constantly edge. 

And feel that I might of develop health anxiety due to the symptoms im experiencing. Thinking I have got MS, ALD, Eye cancer, brain tumour, or rare digestive disease...

I have now started to become fixated on my moles on my body constantly thinking they are changing or develping new ones. I'm starting to feel insane..

I am enrolling in counselling with my first session starting on Wednesday evening to expore and to give rationale towards thought process. 

Thank you for reading commets would be greatly appreciated. 

19 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Richard, 

I definitely think you have health anxiety. "Feeling on edge" is a symptom of anxiety. Also, I found that you can get so used to being anxious that you don't recognise it anymore. The wake up call for me was when I started having panic attacks. I always knew I had a tendancy to be stressed out and that I would get quite anxious around exams but I didn't realise how much it was actually affecting my quality of life. 

I think therapy will be a great benefit to you. Do consider the antidepressants as well because they do help. I didn't want to go on them at first because I didn't want to become addicted but then when things got to their worst, I decided I had to do something about it and I started on them and it's fine. They have helped me to feel much happier and I am feeling much less anxious than I was when I started. I think therapy is the best for dealing with anxiety though. 

Just remember, there are plenty of people on this site who have experienced similar symptoms to you. You are not alone smile 

I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you get on,

Agirl xxx

• Posted

Me again...

Looking back, I wish I had try therapy first, but I was so scared and new to this whole anxiety thing, that I happily took the meds. Back then, I thought they were my problem solver. No one told me about therapy. 

So good for you for going through therapy first. Explore all your options, CBT, deep breathing...try it first. Only then, if nothing works, consider meds. 

• Posted

They won't let me link it but try looking up the Clinical Centre for Intervention website. Click Resources and then consumers. There's a workshop on health anxiety. You might find it useful cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi this is my first ever post. Ive decided to join because I am not going to google anymore. 

Instead of what symptoms im having this month, im joining up with people who understand but who maybe able to reassure that it is only anxiety and im not dying

• Posted

I felt exactly the same two days ago Shelleigh77.   I won't google my symptoms anymore but instead will look for like minded people.   It has been great so far very therapeutic.   Eye opening as well - until I started this forum I thought I was alone and nobody understood.   Now I feel part of something.   Well done.
    • Posted

Thats how I try to cope now as well Im always googling my symptoms and just making everything worse and worse so im trying these forums and I joined a support group on fb it seems to help talking to people who understand and have been there as well
    • Posted

I'm the same way I stopped google and just deal with it. I pace through the house a lot and fidget with anything till it passes.

• Posted

You are definantly experiancing health anxiety

Every single one of those symptoms go along with it. And even though you dont feel anxiois you are thats why the symptoms appear. Never ever google your symptoms it makes it so much worse I have learned google os my enemie. Definantly go to therapy it helps alot. Also something that my therapist recommended is to keep a journal whem you start feel these feeings right them down. Ans then read it out load and then just say its all my anxiety nothing more. 

• Posted

Hi Richard....I'm right there with you...I've had all of the physical symptoms you listed (and a few others) for the past eighteen months or so, and have had all sorts of medical tests to rule out anything serious....everything points to anxiety. I struggled for the longest time to accept that anxiety could cause me to feel this way every day (truly, I have at least one or two symptoms every single day, and sometimes they change day-to-day...tough to get anyone to believe that who hasn't experienced it themselves)....I'm doing my best now to accept it for what it is and not waste any more of my time searching for answers on the web (I'm almost ashamed to admit how much time I've devoted to researching my symptoms on Google....only to realize that it ALWAYS makes me feel worse). My thoughts are with you and everyone else who is suffering with this affliction....it's not an easy road, and it can feel very lonely at times, which is why I'm so grateful for forums like this one....at least I know I'm not alone..
    • Posted

Ive been that same way for the past month since I had my panic attack and was diagnosed with anxiety a week later I feel some symptoms on a daily basis and google everything all day long and it does nothing but make it worse
    • Posted

i'm sorry you're suffering with the physical symptoms too, jeromy....it's horrible feeling this way every day, and very difficult to not sink into despair, wondering if you're ever going to feel better....i try to take heart from the fact that other people have been in the same position and have found the strength to get through it....
    • Posted

Yeah I try to remind myself its only anxiety and that I can overcome it with timesmile the meds seem to take the edge off but the thoughts r still there I think I need something stronger and now im having bad acid reflux symptoms im staying really bloated and backed up feeling like I cant eat and like my throat has a lump at times and burning pains in my stomach and chest
  • Posted

Hi guys,

I'm Matt, and 32.  I've been experience similar feelings to you all for quite a while now - they seem to be progressively getting worse, but that could just be my head playing tricks on me.  I am a former smoker (smoked on/off for about 10 years but quit 4 years ago), and relatively active - I gym, run/cycle occasionally, play a lot of golf, etc.  These feelings are beginning to take over a bit though, and are driving me nuts.  I've been battling lower back and neck pain for a while - and I've had a couple of friends who, after having back/neck pain in the past, have been diagnosed with some pretty serious diseases - so I automatically think the same is wrong with me.  On top of that I feel like I've got constant heart flutters, get occasional chest pains when yawning, breathing, etc, feel "spaced" and light-headed at times, like I can't focus on anything - the list goes on.  And as you've all mentioned, look up anything on Google and you're doomed.  The word "cancer" seems to pop up everywhere these days so I feel like that's constantly playing on my mind - and last night I made the mistake of Googling "lung cancer", and of course I have basically all of the symptoms - then again I could probably Google just about anything and fit the bill - or at least convince myself that I fit the bill.

I don't go to the doctor often - last time was for my annual physical about 10 months ago - had bloodwork done and all, and everything was a-ok.  The doctor told me that she doesn't typically give ECG's to people my age just because it's not really a concern of hers, but I think this year I might request one.  She did give me a few Anxiety pamphlets to read which I do skim through once in a while, but that's about it.  Other than that I just try to plod along with day-to-day life.

My wife and I had a baby four months ago, and I've read that part of this "new" parenting process is worrying about the future, etc.  

So, just wanted to share my experiences with everyone, and hopefully these feelings pass soon enough.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies'

I do understand what you are all saying which has in turn giving me some sort of reassurance. 

At the moment  tho I feel like I'm at that! What if stage. What if these symptoms are real and leading to some think more sinister What if I do have some sort of disease. What if....  What if.... 

I'm trying to put on a front sociably and trying to maintain the same-routines as before. But inside my head I'm going insane. 

• Posted

that to is apart of health anxiety and reassurance is always short lived. It does not matter how much someone tells you,you are ok. you always jump back to the what ifs. I have been to the ER 10 times and my pscychiatrist and GP about 15 times in the last month and have had all kind of test done that say I am ok. but I still get those what if they are missing something feelings, health anxiety is a very visous cycle. and it almost becomes a form of ocd .I really think you should see a therapist it really does help and maybe think abouut asking about an antidepressent. I know there is a lot of stigma that people pit on antidepressents but anxiety does respond very well to antidepressents if you are put on the right one.

• Posted

It seems like until the symptoms ease reassurance can fall on our deaf ears sometimes.  But talking or typing about it helps. anxiety is about catastrophe. Preparing us for the worst possible outcome. Our thoughts are running with it. Our great imaginations go overboard. But im sure we are just fine really

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.