Heavy headed, feeling woozy and off balance

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started off with dizziness and sickness I couldn't even walk without falling over. Now I'm constantly heave headed and feeling woozy snd off balance when I walk or stand up. When I lie down its heavy on my head too and I feel sickly. I've been to ent and they say it's nothing to do with my ear although I have got tinitus in m6 right ear and hearing loss for 3 years now. I'm waiting for an appointment with the nurologist in 3 weeks time. I just want something to be done im really fed up and on sick from work. HELP anyone?

0 likes, 249 replies

249 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If your neck is sore there is a good indicator it's a nerve that pinches and can cause dizziness - just a thought ! They did try that with me as I have a bulging disk c3-5 but it wasn't the cause as mine was BPPV ( as you turn the vertigo sweeps the room ) yup memories ! Yes have that MRI and then take all reports to a vertigo Specialsit if it persist 
    • Posted

I didn't start off with sire neck that's only been the last couple of weeks that the pain in my neck started. I been told lots of different story's whsts wrong with me. One doctor said I had viral labrinthitus then another bppv now saying it's a nurological problem so don't know whats wrong. Fingers crossed it won't last much longer.
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

Just curious, with BBPV do you feel fine other then the dizzy spells?  I was diagnosed with Vestibular labyrinthitis and have the stuffy head, sinuses, and ears feeling all the time, along with a fever.  Do you get any of that stuff with BBPV?  

• Posted

Sorry Tina , just saw the message - yeah all the above !  Not the fever but maybe feel hot when your nauseous! I've had the BPPV corrected now but I still have a rocking / swaying sensation that causes me to appear like I'm drunk and I stumble from time to time - depending on the stimulation such as riding the lawn mower as I turn around the trees ( lots of trees) or as I paddle dragon boats I'm fine until I get off and stagger. It's all vestibulare issues!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Michelle im so sorry that you and all of you are suffering so much, its very scary and what sort of life is this?  Im seeing my doctor tomorrow due to last weekends bout of dizziness and being very sick , havnt felt right since, heavy headed, a pressure behind my eyes and in my head like im on the verge of having another attack all the time. As if i didnt have enough to put up with the M.E. and this menopause. !

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne I hope you feel better and the doctors give you answers. It's the most awful thing been dizzy. It's nice to speak with people who are going through the same experiences.
    • Posted

Dr reckons ive got Mineires disease, but without seeing anyone, im not so sure, i have the symptoms but not the losing my hearing or the tinitus. Was told just to take the prochlorperazine Maleate tablets when i have an attack and if if keeps coming back then to go back and see dr. then they will give me some preventive meds. 

• Posted

Do you have to take a diuretic also?  I wondered if I could have that too, but the doctor ruled it out with my hearing test.

• Posted

I've taken them prochlorperazine tablets and they make me feel really drowsy so Dr told me to stop taking them. I just hope tomorrow when I see nurologist I get some answers. Hope you get some proper answers.
    • Posted

Doubt i will as doctor isnt sending me anywhere to get any proper answers. I really dont wanna take these tablets but what else can i do?
    • Posted

Telll your Dr you want referring to.the ent and the tablets may work for you. Try one and If it doesn't work go back to your dr and they will have to give you some different medication.
  • Posted

It seems like a fever definitely shows you to have an infection. Your sinuses and ears are so closely connected. I had sinus surgery about 6 years ago to help with ear infections and it did help. My most recent vestibular issues were caused by a cyst behind my eardrum. It took a long time to diagnose and a long time for the rehab to work. These days my balance is pretty good. Last year I basically had to relearn how to walk. 
    • Posted

Wow, it sounds like you went through a lot.  I'm so glad that you are doing better now.  You give us hope.  smile
    • Posted

If it was an infection wouldn't it of gone by now though? Had it 3 weeks today. Glad your balance is good these days ☺
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I had the exact symptoms as you and it WAS viral labyrinthitis. There is no pill to take the dizzies away. You do need to see a vestibular rehab therapist and start doing the exercises to retrain your brain. The virus causes damage to the bslance nerve which is not reversible. Thebonly way is to help the brain compensate for the mixed signals it is getting from one good ear and one bad.

Where do you live in the UK? Look up vestibular rehab.

Debbie x

• Posted

I was treated for an ear infection for 4 months before they found the cyst. Before my sinus surgery (to fix a deviated septum) I had sinus and ear infections at least 6 months out of the year. Dizziness with my ear infections was my norm. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.