Help!!!!! any advice please!!!,

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi can anyone help me with some advice pleas! It's late on a Friday night and I have just found this website, I'm so glad that I have! I have broken my tib and fib -(think it's called a bimaellour fracture?) I did it on a pair of high heels at Xmas party, stupid or what??? I climbed up one step and it was gone over, my future for next how ever many months mapped out for me I a nano second!!!! I have the usual metal plate and screws like many of you folk in here. I had my cast off on Monday and went to a physio today who advised me to not use the airboot and "try " to use just the crutches in the house and airboot outside. I a m confused as the consultant at the hospital said keep boot on for two weeks then ditch it AND the crutches. I am really confused, I want to push myself but don't want to do any damage. I am so down, fed up and FRUSTRATED? I have been given exercises from the physio man which he said to do every couple of hours and push through the pain as he said it needs to get moving ASAP. My ankle is so swollen, STIFF and painful. I just don't know what advice is the best? I am 49 WAS fit doing spinning, gym, swimming and lots of classes. Help! 

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good morning Pippie. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I worry about my daughter when she wears her high heals. Anyway, I'm a 55 yr old male who pre injury was very active working 50 plus hours a week and had a good social life. I slipped getting out of the shower as per usual rushing around in the morning to get to work and open the office. I had my surgery 30.09 and only returned to work last week on light duties, and still using 1 crutch as my ankle has not stopped being swollen since the op. I've been having physio now for almost 2 months and have had varying degrees of emotions, anger, depression etc. My doctor asked me why I'm still walking with the aid of a crutch, and that 3 months max I should be fully recovered. I think you can imagine my response! I think reading your post that you have progressed quite quickly to be already having physio and not in a cast. I would imagine that you will be walking unaided by next month from what you have said. I know we have all varying degrees of injuries and recovery periods. The toughest issue everybody has to try and overcome is the frustration at not being able to do the basics that we all take for granted on a daily basis.

The support and advice though on this forum is brilliant. I wish you a speed y recovery and we will all get through this long yourney helping each other along the way, 

• Posted

Morning Paul 🌞Yikes just woke up after a really bad night sleep, worrying and having bad dreams!!!! Thank you soooo much for replying, I did read some of your other posts and felt sorry for you! This forum  is going to be great for me, I don't feel like have to keep moaning to my hubby and everyone else about MY FOOT! Boring!!!! Also on one really "gets it and that is frustrating in itself. Like you I was really active doing spinning classes, gym , classes cycling etc and busy job, suddenly you just come to a halt doing NOTHING relying on everyone to do the most menial of tasks, it's awful? Whilst I'm so grateful/ glad/ appreciative of everything/ everyone for helping me I  struggle with it. I think I've mislead you with my post, it sounds like I'm walking with my crutches..... I'm not. The physio yesterday advised me to ditch the airboot which I tried , but I just can't move the foot at all and I think it's way too soon to not wear it as I'm only out of cast since Monday! Th PT I have arranged myself after reading up I decided to start it ASAP and pay myself as it was best to TRY and get it moving now( even though it hardly does!!!!)  if I waited for my NHS app to come thru it would've been six weeks... Way too long I think?

Anyway,  after mulling it over, I'm going to go to the pool today, I've decided to have a go...... Wish me luck , I'll hobble in with the airboot and crutches and ditch them when I get to the side. Paul, I do hope you have a good day, it must be great to get back to work but tough with a crutch? I guess you want to throw it away and walk "normally" but it's a long tough road which I've just realised! Like you say we can help and support each other. 👠👣💊🔩

• Posted

Hi Pippie. Thanks for reply. I'm sure you will recover really quickly as you have a positive attitude and want to get moving and to go to the pool.

If I'm honest, the hospital sent me home with a cast saying to come back each 4 weeks for re X-ray and having a cast on for 2 months did me no good whatsoever as it is really stiff to squat and the swelling has not reduced much. My first week back at work (10 hours) on feet means that I return home with my ankle looking like a tennis ball, but I was pre warned that the first 2 weeks would be uncomfortable. I would advise you to go swimming and pay for extra physio, as this is key. I wanted to join a gym and have two sessions of private physio, but as I don't get paid when sick, then I couldn't afford to do so. Good luck at the pool

• Posted

Hi Paul just come back from pool it was a start, I went to the side of the pool with the airboot and crutches which I ditched as I sat down . My hubby got me in and I managed to swim over into the lanes. Omg it felt great - almost normal, I did some front crawl and my foot managed to move a tiny bit nothing major but better than nothing. I did some exercises best I could. Getting out was difficult everyone looks at you .... Awkward!!! Anyway I managed to hobble and I mean hobble to the changing rooms. Back home down back to the exercises and pool again tomorrow. 

Yep the NHS was going to give me an app in six weeks time way too long so I'm paying myself but don't know how many I can afford. 

thats along time to be in a cast no wonder it's been tough for you !!!!! I hope your work have been kind to you? But generally people don't understand do they ????😢😡

• Posted

Hi Pippie. I'm really pleased that you made it to the pool, I know it would be difficult getting in & out of the pool, I had my first proper bath last Sunday and I struggled although my wife helped, I was also apprehensive due to me failing the last time I was in the shower. I must force myself to go swimming and join a gym once I get a full months pay 😊 I ordered a folding walking stick off EBay £2.49 so I can now return the hospital crutches, and keep the folding stick in my coat pocket but today have walked unaided although mimicking a penguin. I have found that people have been kind towards me, and held open doors etc, children tend to stare which amuses me.I found that strangers will chat to you asking what happened, and other disabled people will discuss their issues offering advice and suggestions.

My first week has been a little discomforting on my feet all day, but staff have been great and understanding. It felt strange going back in work after 3 months absence,and the last time being when I was fit. I have experienced people don't generally understand why a broken ankle takes so long to recovery, this includes doctors! I still struggle accepting that my ankle could potentially take up to 12 months for the swelling to disappear, and that how stiff it is although I'm doing my exercises and massaging on a regular basis.

Good luck tomorrow when you return to the pool

• Posted

Omg congratulations paul for walking today that is just great!!!!!? I know you feel like a penguin but just think how far you have come!!!!! Great ideas with pocket size walking stick the wonders if EBAY eh?????? 

You must get swimming I think it'll help loads, mentally I feel better today just doing something positive towards recovery. I have felt so down and don't want to put added pressure  on my fab hubby all the time by crying. I think I thought I was a mentally strong person before this and it's a shock to think I'm actually not, I agree with you it's hard to accept its going to take a long time to get better it just doesnt sit that well with any one of us does it? 

Im glad your work have been good to you, yes I can imagine you must have felt really strange going back there. I remember my last day at work before my accident.... I quickley turned off my computer, RAN yes RAN out of the office , in the car straight to a spinning class with not a backward glance, never to return until.........well  I don't know right now, very strange . 

Oh well tomorrow is another day well done to you 👣

• Posted

Please don't think you are not mentally strong - I'm like you; two boys delivered without pain relief and usually tough as old boots. But even last week I had a 'completey dissolved ina puddle of tears on the sofa' moment when my lovely hubby scooped me up and put me to bed. Its really really common with ankle surgery - and once you start doing more, as you are, you get exghausted really quickly too. 
    • Posted

Your doing it Mr. Penquin, your getting there, keep on,.....great idea about the pocket stick......I hope you don't mind the nickname Paul, but it helps all of us to see your great progress......your inspiring....👏
    • Posted

Ahh bless you .... New nickname for you " tough as ol' boots barb!!!!" 

💋

• Posted

Hi Pippie.

Thank you for your kind comments, i really appreciate it.

I am determined to go swimming this coming week and will let you know the outcome.

Im normally strong mentally but have to admit that I have had nasty thoughts  since my injury.

I appreciate all my wife has done & is doing for me, reading some past posts of people living alone in remote villages who are struggling, at least we have our partners for support.

Im quite sure you will return to work very soon, I realised very quickly how life can change in seconds and now have a more positive outlook now.

Well done 🙂

• Posted

Aww, thank you too Jannie for your kind comments.

My nickname made me smile, and no, I don't mind. It's absolutely fine.

I remember a couple of months ago buying a wheelchair and my wife pushing me around the shopping centres! I was really embarrassed & felt extremely guilty having my wife pushing me around on her day off from work. An ex work colleague who is on a waiting list for a new knee came to my house regularly and took me out for a few hours in his car to markets etc and brought his mobility scooter for me to use.I kept thinking that I would never walk again, when I walked without my crutches in the house I became quite emotional, silly really.

Thanks again

• Posted

No, not silly Paul, it is what is inside all of us with this reality, temporary as it is it seems like forever. I'm still nervous each time I pass my bathroom and not been in since my fall too in the shower. I'm working up to get in it with a shower chair but physio wants me full weight bearing, I've been going to our local hospital weekly for showers and now water therapy. It's 2 blocks from our home thankfully. I'm so encouraged by your walking now even if it's awkward. Thanks for your support - enjoy your evening.....and yes, we are lucky to have our spouses, it's been a ride so far.......🚴🚴
    • Posted

Wells written paul so true life changes  in a second it's so fragile, I will appreciate everything so much more now I really will. I too had a wheelchair I was embarrassed to go out in it but grateful at the same time, it made me realise how disabled people feel, very sobering experience indeed. Good luck with swimming please let me know how you get on 🌞
  • Posted

Morning Pippie - I think its a sign of ankle fracture recovery that we all find this site late at night which is definitely the worst time; I was up til 3am just not on here.  Apologies if this is a bit of a longish answer, but it's in two parts, the here & now and where I am too. Then the future - based on the fact my original bi-malleolar fracture was 30 years ago.

I am 11 weeks post a total ankle replacement (they took the whole joint and some of the corresponding bone away). During the surgery I also had a medial malleolus fracture - the inside ankle - which is now plated and pinned and  two muscle operations.

The here and now; it sounds like you are doing really well, my advice would be to get a physio that you trust absolutely and to listen to a combination of their advise and your own body (they will help you know how to do that). As you’re in the UK and have started your physio relatively early compared to others on here I am assuming its private ? I was in a cast and non weight bearing for six weeks, with the intention of then being in a boot for up to six weeks with some periods out of it. However, during surgery they caught my main tibial nerve and the boot caused excruciating pain across my foot and ankle with it on so I never really used it. That meant at six weeks I started to gently walk on my foot using two crutches - the absolute emphasis being on getting the walking right and correctly using my hips, leg and foot so as to not cause a limp. At 11 weeks I am totally weight bearing and walking well although I take one crutch with me when out or at work to simply help with strength and posture. I cant quite do calf raises on just my right foot - but I’m working well at everything else and hope to buy a good exercise bike this weekend.I work VERY hard on physio and excersizes (tears down my face type hard). As I said at the beginning knowing what to do, in concert with your physio, means you can push through the pain knowing you are not damaging it. 

I believe physio is the real key here - and much as your surgeon may be brilliant - that’s what he does; surgery ! To put things in context, as I think I am doing well, I had physic three times the week my cast came off - and yes it was excruciating - but my first NHS appointment was for 11 weeks post surgery. If I had waited for that I would never have known how to massage away some of the swelling from the synovial fluid build-up, how to stimulate the nerve etc and most importantly how to get my ankle working.

This matters to me because just over 30 years ago (I’m 51 now) I had a bi-malleolar fracture the same as you, accompanied by numerous fib fractures. They told me then that because of the extent of the fractures it would be unlikely I would get much movement back. With a great physio start then and a bloody-minded approach to taking on the pain of physio, and a determination to keep working on it over the years I got 100% movement back. I have worn 5 inch heels day and night for most of my life and could run etc. In fact my current consultant could not believe how long my joint had lasted doing those things.

Ankle surgery is horrible - the pain lasts a long time and the swelling is a nightmare. It keeps you up through the night - even up to 2 weeks ago I was crying my way through the night as it was so depressing and we are still in separate beds !.And a few nights a week I do still have to take morphine to sleep. But stay as positive as you possibly can and persuade yourself that the little bugger isn’t going to get the better of you ! My new ankle even has a name - Charley- and our blog about recovery is called Travels with Charley’. 

Feel free to PM me and take care.

• Posted

Hi barb I have replied to your lovely post,not sure it went ????

👠

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.