Help!!!!! any advice please!!!,

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi can anyone help me with some advice pleas! It's late on a Friday night and I have just found this website, I'm so glad that I have! I have broken my tib and fib -(think it's called a bimaellour fracture?) I did it on a pair of high heels at Xmas party, stupid or what??? I climbed up one step and it was gone over, my future for next how ever many months mapped out for me I a nano second!!!! I have the usual metal plate and screws like many of you folk in here. I had my cast off on Monday and went to a physio today who advised me to not use the airboot and "try " to use just the crutches in the house and airboot outside. I a m confused as the consultant at the hospital said keep boot on for two weeks then ditch it AND the crutches. I am really confused, I want to push myself but don't want to do any damage. I am so down, fed up and FRUSTRATED? I have been given exercises from the physio man which he said to do every couple of hours and push through the pain as he said it needs to get moving ASAP. My ankle is so swollen, STIFF and painful. I just don't know what advice is the best? I am 49 WAS fit doing spinning, gym, swimming and lots of classes. Help! 

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pippie

I know exactly how u feel, I took broke tib and fib at the end of August, they called mine a pilon fracture. Think that's about 20 weeks ago now. Was 5 wks in cast then another 5 in airboot during which time I started to partial weight bear then eventually to full weight bear but still using crutches. At about 10 wks the doctor told me to try to walk with a shoe but not to force it, if too painful then go back to the boot. During the time wearing the boot I was allowed to take it off for short periods and try to flex my ankle and my toes. It was really stiff at first but eventually there was a bit of flexibility.

I only started attending physio after I could walk with the shoe and crutches. If ur unsure can u get in touch with them again to double check exactly what they want u to do? I would feel the same and wouldn't want to do any damage. i was terrified and so frustrated as I didn't feel as if I was improving at all but u will get the movement and flexibility back it just take a long time. I did the exercises the physio gave me as much as I could but when it got too sore I stopped, I actually was in tears it was so painful. The first exercises were to increase range of movement then to try and strengthen the ankle. Physio said it should never be that bad so was right to stop. U know ur own body, they can only advise u so if it's too painful I'd stop then try again later.

I was able to start driving again about a month ago, just short journeys. I had my check up last week and hospital really pleased with how it's healed but said I have to accept that my ankle will never be the same as it was before, I will always have discomfort in the cold weather (I live in Scotland so I'll get that a lot then!!) and also if I stand for long periods. I get a lot of stabbing pains and twinges in it and he couldn't give me any indication of when or if they would stop. I'm also now crutch free tho stairs are still a bit of a challenge I'm improving all the time. This week I went back to work, just part time at the moment but I actually feel that I can get my old life back eventually. I too am 49 but not as fit as u!!! So it must be really hard for u when u were so active before. I've now stopped my 1 to 1 physio sessions with the physio as I've reached a plateau and now to attend rehab classes where I will do more exercises in the gym. At times I felt it would never get any better but it did, it just takes a lot longer than I thought it would.

I wish u well with ur recover and hope u r back on ur 2 feet soon.

• Posted

Hi Bailey thank u for your informative post, wow sounds like a long long road!!!!! I'm really happy for you now you are getting your life back, I feel like mines disappeared for now! Don't you just get fed up with pain, hobbling around and thinking about the blasted ANKLE !!!!! I'm getting obsessed with IT!!!! hah hah !!!!! My hubby has just taken me to the swimming pool for the first time today, it was difficult to get in the water I had on the  airboot and crutches to get to the side which I ditched and then managed to swim,OMG it was great, I've a long journey I know and I'm not making out I'm swimming like an Olympic I'm not but it's a start!!!! Your post has given me an idea of what's ahead and a BIG thank u for that, good luck with driving toot toot move out the way she's coming 🚘🚗
    • Posted

Hi Jannie love the pic xxxx thanks very much, better day today foot still the same BUT feel mentally lighter, big hugs to you from London xxx
    • Posted

Your doing amazing.....visualizing the pool and your swimming! 
    • Posted

Big hug back, my family from Lancashire and neice in Wiltshire and IOW. I'm wishing to get back there fore visit......love London 🇬🇧
    • Posted

Wow I lived in Lancashire how lovely ....... My hubby and in,I've Canada we skied in tremblant once, skiing ahhhhhhh these were the days x
    • Posted

Just noticed that your family are from Lancashire.

Im originally from Manchester, now Bolton.... Small world

• Posted

Hi 

My advice is to keep the air boot on for the first 3 weeks with crutches and then use crutches and aircast support strapping for the next 3weeks.

Good luck

Mr Anklei

• Posted

Hi Mr ankle ! Love the name ! Thanks for advice I am keeping airboot on, it does seem too soon to come out of it just yet ?

hope you are doing ok ? 😜

• Posted

Sorry, to have missed such a lovely post of support.  

In my experience it appears that once the bone is healed we can start PT and if we push to hard we will be in pain.  My PT told me it should hurt for an hour after therapy, but I have hurt to the point of it waking me up. I also think that if you are fearful of injuring yourself it's best to listen to that voice in your head.  No one really knows how much pain we are experiencing and I think our foot, ankle and leg need strength to gain full confidence.  I went to PT today and he told me to stand on the injured leg on a balance half ball and let go.  I was in a doorway and he was spotting me.  I was so afraid of twisting my ankle.  Then, he told me stand on this balance thing and do squats.  I left feeling shaken from my fear. In hindsight, I think I should've refused.  It doesn't help to move too fast because the swelling sets you back.  

I've been going to the local pool and taking a swim fitness class.  I agree it's very freeing and helps with my mood.  I am a little nervous about walking around in the shower room with lots of water on the floor and people moving about and small children running around.  I did find a separate bath set up for the handicap which is working out better.  I have also been searching for ankle exercises on utube and have found some good ones that PT haven't suggested. 

Sitting here with an ice pack on my ankle wishing you all patience and healing knowing that you are the only ones who understand this journey. 

• Posted

Hi Linda ah bless you, you sound like you are doing really well.... Amazing work by the sound of it. It's so scary trying to let your ankle take your full weight, but remember trust in your newly healed strong bones - that's what my physio said to me.  I started  physio last Friday - out if cast on the Monday fab and he wanted  me to start trying pick up my good foot and stand on my injured ankle !!!!!! I thought What????? But now a week on I can just about manage it but still keep loosing my balance. Some of the exercises seem a bit tough eg: lunges, heels on the edge of a step and dip down and toe raise sitting down whist putting pressure on top of my knee to push the foot down? Apparently it's strengthens the ankle. I've got a couple of other physios I'm going to see just to get some other opinions. I agree YouTube is great for getting exercises I've done that too.

like you I'm in the pool it really helps doesn't it? Getting in and out is scary yep all the kids and people coupled with wet slippy floors !!!!!! I keep thinking how I used to not think twice about rushing everywhere, walking, running etc how I absolutely took it all for granted. I now look at folk and think wow you just don't realise how lucky you are? 

We all have to keep going we have no choice, but in my lowest moments I try to think of all the injured soldiers who have come back from war with no limbs, and awful life changing injuries and I think to myself " C'mon, get a grip with yourself, you CAN do this !"

Heres to another day onwards and upwards 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Thought of the day.........Ice was what I used to put in my G&T now it's for my ANKLE!

• Posted

Hi All

Time is the healer.Surport from Aircast is the answer.It does get better in the end.The main thing is not to feel sorry for yourself. In the end your near and dear will lose interest in your problem.

Good luck to all sufferes like myself after 9 months.

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Cheers mr ankle, how are you doing now are you walking ok? 

Generally I don't feel sorry for myself, I am keeping positive with any slight improvement I see which is good 🇬🇧

• Posted

Hello Linda 

couldnt find your other post re burning. Having a not too good day after intense physio yesterday. My PT is trying to release the fascia in heels so I can get my foot moving. It felt not bad when she was doing it but today it's like my heel and ankle have been sliced open but burning.   I had my water therapy today thinking that would help, but no. Does this sound familiar Linda. It's going to be ice and pain Meds tonite, my Dr concurs.  

What are they doing on your foot currently? I guess since your PT is away you'll have someone new working on you hopefully they work for you.  

Overall its it's going ok but I had a feeling once I started PT is was going to be hard, and it is but I know it's the beginning to making progress no matter how slow..... Keep on, day by day.......I think my physio was too hard pressure in manipulation this time see how it goes Thursday at my next one. Thanks for being here and hope you have a good nite! 🚶🚶

• Posted

Hi Pippie,

I'm happy to hear you are moving right along.  I've been doing some of those same exercises.  I like hanging off the steps, feels like it stretches that stiff heel.  I like pretending to pick up a cloth with your toes and using the stationary bike.  My surgery was 0ct. 8th and I felt today like I had turned the corner. I'm not as afraid of everything.  I stood in the shower holding on to the shower chair instead of sitting in it.  That was very scary at first.  I'm not thinking about my ankle 100% of the time only 90%, haha.  I didn't go to PT at all last week.  I'm going to go on Thursday.  I still have a ways to go to feel like I have full range of motion and it still hurts and feels tight aroung the ankle and burns at night.  This week I have been able to walk down the stairs alternating feet, but I have to drop the last few inches.  Lately, I've had the thought I better not get too cocky.  I do feel for everyone that has permanent injuries.  Yes, I do enjoy the poot.  I was going to go today, but got a sorethroat and didn't feel like it.  I think getting sick on top of this should be disallowed.  I am feeling like I can see an end to this and today was the first time I thought I could plan a trip for  a few months away.  What date did you have your surgery?  Seems, like you're moving along quite nicely.

• Posted

Hi Linda wow sounds like you are doing really well and keeping positive which I think helps so so much( sooooo difficult somethings though!) 

i had my op o 7/12had my cast off 18/1 I have ditched the crutches now and got my foot into a trainer. My PT lady is very good though she really really hurts me during her sessions... but the massages she does really helps it's amazing, it really loosens the foot. She did some ultra sonic on it yesterday... Very very good. Yep looks like me and you are doing the same exercises, I got those off YouTube, the pool is fantastic too. I think we are doing all we can to get well, I will NEVER take my health for granted ever again. 

But, it's  abit annoying though when people think it's all better when you have your cast off.... When in fact it's just the beginning!!!!

I agree with you all I think about is THE FOOT!!! it takes up all my thinking time, I joke there's 3 people in our marriage now me, my hubby and THE FOOT! Hopeful like you I'll think about it less soon.

take care and keep going 💋👠👠👠👠

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.