Help....Just Diagnosed with Intestinal Metaplasia

Posted , 18 users are following.

Can someone please help me to understand Intestinal Metaplasia... I did an endoscopy on July and found out that I have Antral-type muscosa with intestinal metaplasia... No HP are identified...I found this out from patient portal....the doctor didn't even mention that I have IM...he just said that the biopsy result was ok...  had anyone here been diagnosed with the intestinal metaplasia of the stomach and if so, what did you do? I am very worried ...Please help sad

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this is an old post but I wanted to find out how things are going with the Intestinal Metaplasia. I was just diagnosed it was found in the biopsy in the antrum just a little redness and mild gastritis. I am so scared. Can you let me know how often you have had to have scopes and if the IM went away. Thanks!
    • Posted

It is not a fast progressing issue. If you have metaplasia today, you might have gastric cancer some years later. But you also might NOT have cancer for another 30 years. The mechanism is not exactly known yet...

So, there are things that you can interfere and there are things that you can not. 

Go on with what you can. Choose an healthy life. Use vitamin C-ascorbic acid (1g/day), use antioxidants. 

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed in November. I was told that I had a lot of redness in the stomach and some of the esophagus.  My symptoms were lots of acid reflux, a lot of stomach rumbling and burning in the stomach.  After the diagnosis I stopped eating everything that triggered reflux and eating healthier, after about a month, the reflux was completely gone and I no longer had the burning sensation or the rumbling. I overall feel better now that I am eating better and not skipping meals.  I don’t know if it’s helped the metaplasia issue, I have an endoscopy until November this year.  I’ll post more then.   I learned that it does no good to worry, it is what it is and if I’m meant to live my life this way, oh well.  I’m 27 and have 3 children under 5 all I want is to be healthy for them. I’ve put my life in God’s hands. 

Wish you the best! 

Try not to worry too much. 

Keep in touch 

• Posted

I’ve had gastric metaplasia since mid 2016. Mine was caused by h pylori and had to treated it with antibiotics. Then I completely changed my diet and took different supplements. I had another gastric mapping this year  and my doctor took 16 biopsyes. He told me that there was NO sign of metaplasia in my stomach and I don’t need to take PPI. I still eat healthy and use supplements until I do another endoscopy next year (just to be sure). The main thing is to know what causes the metaplasia and solve the problem. It seems metaplasia is reversible and can be treated so don’t lose hope.
    • Posted

How often do you get scoped? My doctor wanted to wait 2 years but I had uterine cancer before and I wanted to do it every year so she said fine. It is scary to read things on the internet thank you so much for your reply it makes me feel less alone!
    • Posted

What supplements did you take and what did you eat. I am a vegetarian ever sine 2012 so it is a bit scary that I am already eating well and still have this issue. My biopsy for H Pylori was negative but I have read that it can be a false negative and to get a breath test done. I don't know why the doctor just can't give me a round of antibiotics. How painful was the gastric mapping after it was done. I can't imagine 16 biopsys! So glad you are better- I am hoping for the same outcome for myself but I have had cancer before uterine but it was caught very early so I am doing well. It is just so scary I feel like it is all I think about and have been crying for the past 2 days on and off. As others have said I have 3 children and I would like to be around to see them grow up! 

• Posted

My H Pylori test with biopsy was false negative then I asked my doctor for breath test which was positive. So it definitely worth asking your doctor to do breath test (unfortunately some of the doctors that I visited were not so much concern with IM so I had to change my doctor to get answers; you can ask them you want to know what causes your problem). The gastric mapping was painful, I had burning sensation for more than a week but I asked my doctor to do it because I wanted to know how extensive is my IM. My diet was mostly like vegetarian diet plus salmon fish and eggs (banana and apple are really beneficial as well). You can search for COX2 natural inhibitor, that's the enzyme that is related to gastric cancer. I read so many scientific papers and talk to pathologists and gastrointestinologists and came up with these supplements:

Curcumin (I add it to my food and also take capsules too), Glutathione, Zinc Carnosine, Mastic gum, DGL, Slippery Elm, Marshmallow root, Manuka honey, NAC, Ginseng, 1000mg Vitamin C, Vitamin E and D.

By the way, all those pathologists and gastrointestinologists told me that if I take care of the cause of IM, I don't have to be worry about anything. Let me know if you have any questions.  

• Posted

I only had one single endoscopy ~two months ago. after 4 more months I'll have another one. 

Later on, I'll get scoped every year for a while...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION : Statistically, people with IM from europan countries have SAME RISK of adenocarcinoma  with HEALTHY people from JAPAN or KOREA.

So, relax. Do what you can do. And hope the best and keep in touch smile

• Posted

I hope a healthy life for you from now on.  I'm 35 and I've 2 kids, one is 4yo and the other one is 2 yo. I also have started thinking more about their future...

By the way, I suggest not to leave your life to God's hands, and it seems you've already taken control of your life. Congrats...

Hope the best for all of us smile

Keep in touch.

• Posted

My doctor agreed to do the breath test so I am getting that this week- that way I will know one way or another about the h-pylori. After that I just have no idea how I have this scary thing- it is driving me crazy and it all I can think about. I hope that getting a scope every year is enough. I am also going to another GI doctor this week for a second opinion. Plus I have so many questions. I started taking a bunch of the supplements you recommended. Do you have to do another follow up or are you all done now since they didn't find anymore IM. My doctor said mine was so microscopic that is isn't worrisome but they still have to follow up. I wish I wouldn't worry it is making things worse! Thanks for all the information. It is so nice to have someone to talk with.

• Posted

Great to hear you are going to do breath test. My doctor told me I don't need to do endoscopy anymore but I will do another one next year to make sure everything is okay. Don't worry about it, one of those pathologist that I talk to is my sister and my uncle is gastrointestinologist. They talked to couple of their colleagues who are experts in intestinal metaplasia and they told them that when the cause of IM is solved, there is nothing to worry about. Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Jessiac you experience inspired me and given me hopes. I have diagnosed intestinal metaplasia this August, I would like to know that what treatment you had and what supplements you took so I will try it.

Thanks for your help

• Posted

what type of supplements were you taking? were you on any medications?

• Posted

hi, did you stop taking the anti acid medication 7days prior to taking the breath test again? my endoscope was also negative.

• Posted

@gundo1982, you would still expect it to occur 30 years from now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.